When you receive a call for potential service/estimate...

todg

Name
Michael Marcus
As an owner/operator, I've been in business for over 15 years and typically when I receive a call from a new potential client I go to there house setup and ready to do the work on the spot...I am thinking of changing to doing strictly an estimate first, then scheduling for a different day...Sound Familiar?

How do you run your business?

Any input???

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Tell them you will show up and when you will walk thru the areas and agree on a price then do the service at that time.

If they won't agree they are just shopping for a price.

Reactions: Mike Draper

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I am thinking of changing to doing strictly an estimate first, then scheduling for a different day...Sound Familiar?
Exactly like that. So if an existing client calls we just book it unless they want an estimate. Sometimes they do, they have new areas or rugs or upholstery which we may not have cleaned before or they have an area of concern.

For potential clients it gives us the opportunity to communicate more effectively than a brief phone call. In most cases if they are allowing you in there home, your odds of getting the job are much higher. You can see soiling conditions, spots and potential problems as well as having the opportunity to explain your process and what they can expect as far as results.

The negative is you can tie up time & money running around town, especially in a big city. My younger brother estimates for us and does 3-4 a day looking at carpet, tile, air ducts.

It comes down to which is going to be better for you, time spent estimating or time spent cleaning. :errf:

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
We do a detailed phone "interview" to find out as much as possible about the areas. I provide a verbal estimate to the client "based on the information you provided us". We let them know that when we arrive for the appointment we will confirm the scope of work, room sizes and price and explain any difference in price from the phone estimate. I usually warn them of the areas and things that could change the pricing (especially if they aren't sure of dimensions or it could be right on the edge of being a double sized room).

We've always done it this way. Rarely have an issue. Every once in a while there is that customer that tries to "pull one over" on the guys. But the techs just pull up the work order notes and show them what I wrote in it as the quote. They can't argue that "the girl told me it was only...." once that happens. I'm really detailed in the notes to the guys as to what I quoted and any "red flags".

I can usually sense the trouble makers over the phone and I will put a note in the work order for them to review the quote I gave them, BEFORE they do the walk through. That way they can get confirmation/agreement that was the price I gave the client. Then, if its different they can tell/show the cleint why it is now different from the phone quote (aka....what is different from the information that they provided) to what it really is.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I can't see making an extra trip for an estimate on every new potential residential client unless your very new in business and very hungry.

If the right questions are asked over the phone, then a realistic estimate should be very possible to provide for most situations that are without a specific issue that might result in a big price "swing", like pet issues, wet conditions, or other less than ordinary situations.

I always ask if there are pets present in the home, regardless if they mentioned a specific pet issue.
I always ask if there are any specific areas of concern.
If a staircase is mentioned, I always ask about the presence of landings.
I always ask for the presence of hallways.
With living rooms, I always ask if it is a combo-dining room or appx dimensions if known.

These are the items that I found to be most likely to bite you in the ass, and often "conveniently" not specifically mentioned by the customer over the phone.

Other than that, unless I sense a genuine concern for an estimate, as taco mentioned, "In most cases if they are allowing you in there home, your odds of getting the job are much higher", sometimes it is just a "peace of mind" issue, especially with older women, that should be accommodated if possible, and will often give an opportunity to seal the deal.

A few extra minutes spent on the phone should give one all the information required to make separate trips unnecessary for the vast majority of new customers.

I am surprised that after 15 years in business that you would be considering adding so much additional travel to your schedule.

What's your standard phone dialogue like?

todg

Name
Michael Marcus
I can't see making an extra trip for an estimate on every new potential residential client unless your very new in business and very hungry.

If the right questions are asked over the phone, then a realistic estimate should be very possible to provide for most situations that are without a specific issue that might result in a big price "swing", like pet issues, wet conditions, or other less than ordinary situations.

I always ask if there are pets present in the home, regardless if they mentioned a specific pet issue.
I always ask if there are any specific areas of concern.
If a staircase is mentioned, I always ask about the presence of landings.
I always ask for the presence of hallways.
With living rooms, I always ask if it is a combo-dining room or appx dimensions if known.

These are the items that I found to be most likely to bite you in the ass, and often "conveniently" not specifically mentioned by the customer over the phone.

Other than that, unless I sense a genuine concern for an estimate, as taco mentioned, "In most cases if they are allowing you in there home, your odds of getting the job are much higher", sometimes it is just a "peace of mind" issue, especially with older women, that should be accommodated if possible, and will often give an opportunity to seal the deal.

A few extra minutes spent on the phone should give one all the information required to make separate trips unnecessary for the vast majority of new customers.

I am surprised that after 15 years in business that you would be considering adding so much additional travel to your schedule.

What's your standard phone dialogue like?

I haven't changed anything yet...I have been successful for many years...Successful enough to just offer tile and grout cleaning and sealing and only do 5-8 jobs per week...My average job is 1.5 hours or less setup to breakdown...

todg

Name
Michael Marcus
Usually there's a reason.
Why are you thinking of changing, Michael?
Tired of people making excuses, and lying over the phone...I get into a mode of wackos and flakes periodically...I hate driving my "big truck" to someones house for nada...I always think I will get another call while I'm on the run, but not always...Might even start charging people to come, and if they hire me it will be part of the price...LOL

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'd not let a few bumps in the road dictate your decision.

If it makes sense in who your client is, and what they expect as far as level of service, then I'd say yes do it.

If you're making changes because a few flakes screwed up the schedule last week, I think I'd relax drink a few beers and forget about it. :very_drunk:

Reactions: todg

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Tired of people making excuses, and lying over the phone...I get into a mode of wackos and flakes periodically...I hate driving my "big truck" to someones house for nada...I always think I will get another call while I'm on the run, but not always...Might even start charging people to come, and if they hire me it will be part of the price...LOL
No doubt that's frustrating. Happens to all of us. Cost of doing business.

Doing a free estimate, will increase closing rates (if you're good at it), enable you to assess the client and potentially add more items (increase the bill). On the other hand it will add a lot more hassle and extra time to your working week. A lot more than the hassle of dealing with the occasional flake. It will also add the occasional frustration of giving an estimate and still not getting the job.

Do it if the benefits justify it.

Part of talking with people on the phone is getting a feel of who they are. Most clients think that they are assessing me and do not realize that I do the same. So many red flags come up if one just pays attention. You may want to work on improving that skill.

EDS

Name
Ed
I give the majority of my estimates over the phone. The joys of area pricing. However, once in a blue moon I will squeeze in an estimate between jobs. Happens to me twice this month and got both jobs. One was for 700 and the other 400. They were both residential.

For commercial I make a point of not going out to give estimates. I ask a lot of questions. I always bid very high and if I get the job good but if not no big deal.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Ofer (one of my few liberal friends that actually makes sense on some issues)
and Goomer (one of two pOrty hAcks here worth paying attention to)
Both make great points ...but Mike isn't a CC'er , he's a tile/stone guy that also charges top+ dollar too if i recall

carpet is pretty easy over the phone with the right questions ...there's just not all that many variables with wall to wall synthetic .
BUTT...stone's a little different..natural or man made, damaged grout ...or 15 coats of Mop 'n Glo to remove

Being that Mike is a big buck owner/op working a part time schedule (10-15 hours a week) he should have plenty time to sell/inspect and quote jobs
(unless he has a full time "real" job or sump'um)

There'd be no "surprises" (which sounds like he's getting tired of) plus the opportunity to sell more value added services

..L.T.A.

EDS

Name
Ed
I price by the square foot.
I only do phone estimates.
Rarely am I more than 10% off the quoted approximation.

The joy of experience and knowing what questions to ask :winky:
My wife was booking for me before...oMG she was like 4 areas short each house. Indeed knowing the questions to ask is very important.

Reactions: ruff

KleanerDude

Name
john vance
Hi all,
I just recently went to work for a couple who have a commercial carpet cleaning
business. I'm calling restaurants for them and doing fairly well. I am inputting the potential client data in an excel file, into a gmail that i send to the owners upon
setting the potential client estimate and onto index cards that i keep in my little
index card box. The owners use MyDataBase to keep track of what they are doing
with each client.

I really need the same or a similar excellent database program that will allow me
to see everything about the client (or client (S)) on the computer screen all at one
time.

There is just so much going on with each client and not to mention they may have me
managing other customer reps starting in Dec/Jan and i don't want to try managing
other CRs with index cards, excel and gmail. Those tools will certainly have their place
but i know i am going to need more so my multi-tasking can be done by a good online
Customer Relationship Manager software program.

I don't prefer any program that needs to be uploaded, I prefer an EXCELLENT database
program that is online and can just be logged in to AND that can be easily backed up
on my computer AND that can be easily copied to a disk - I do not want to lose client
data if an online system gets hacked or crashes or becomes compromised in some other
way.

As all of you know, if you want an efficient and successful business, you need to maintain
accurate and complete records of your clients and potential clients.

When I first make contact, the potential goes into a LEAD folder or card, secondly, the
potential then becomes a BID and goes to a folder of that designation and then proceeds
into folders titled: NO BID, NO TO BID, JOBS, CONFIRMS, JOB COMPLETED, QUALITY
CHECK CALL FOLLOW-UP, COMPLAINTS, ETC.

SO.....What i need is some feedback and help on this. I am hoping it is a simple solution
but, whatever it takes, I'm sure I'll get it figured out. I just know things work out much
better if we reach out for help from others.

I know this lengthy but i wanted to articulate my need clearly, which i hope i have done.
I will appreciate hearing from those of you with practical solutions to my database needs.

Thank You

KleanerDude

Name
john vance
I am seeking help to find an excellent online database program.
Would prefer an online program that can show all of client's data
at one viewing. I am looking for a CRM that would track any and
all activity occuring with a commercial or residential client from
cradle to grave, so to speak. Any help/suggestion very appreciated.
I noted my earlier post to be visible and attempted to delete this one,
but deleting this post was not allowed - please excuse the redundancy,
not my bloody intent - pip pip, cheeerio and all of that rubbish.

Last edited:

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I am seeking help to find an excellent online database program.
Would prefer an online program that can show all of client's data
at one viewing. I am looking for a CRM that would track any and
all activity occuring with a commercial or residential client from
cradle to grave, so to speak. Any help/suggestion very appreciated.

There is a bunch of them, John.
I know service monster is popular, I think house call pro also does the same thing. Just google them.

Also, try a search on here(up top). Lots of people have started threads about this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom