Which truck???

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
The Ford or the Chev???

Both have a 16' box on them (old budget moving trucks)

Both are around the 115-125k mileage range

Both have the v-8s

Both are 02

I have a 97 chev 3/4, that i like...test drove a few and i like the interior of the ford....but i heard those triton motors burn oil for no reason..

sooooo give me your opinions here

G

Ford?
Chevrolet?

My knee-jerk reaction would lean me more towards Ford.
That Louis Chevrolet was a French bastard if I'm not mistaken.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I don't have anything against Chevy
But my preference is Ford.

my 5.4 doesn't burn oil
(115K miles on it)
gets great gas mileage too
(18mpg hi-way)
Though it's not a box van

a standard tune up costs a bundle though at a garage from what I hear.
Figure in the neighborhood of $350 for tune up.
90% of that is labor

That's if they don't break a plug changing them, then you'll be into large dollars cause they have to pull the head

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
lARRY...me an' my mechanic pullt a Ford head while back WITOUT pullin the intake.....I tol him it was impossible...

That's how i get him to do stuff for me.....!

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
if at all possible get the Ford e350 diesel with the 7.2 litre engine. Check with a couple rental companies. I am very happy with mine

Name
Jesse
Ford makes a real engine, chevy makes one that works. The ford will get better economy and has the ability to last longer. The chevy has more cup holders, turns tighter, and was more recently redesigned to be cheaper made. I have dodge, ford, and chevy vans. Unless it's a smoking deal I'll only buy fords in the future.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
they had a 7.3, but it was older (2000) so it didnt have a few things in the interior...

and it had a funky box on it.

I dunno i think that vortec motor is a pretty good motor.

and yes i had heard of the plug issue possibility... foogin $150 for the repair once they get in....20 hrs to tear it apart :shock: :shock: and at $60 an hr ouchhhhh

TimP

I personally don't like ford. Hence the reason I bought a chevy. Butler recommends chevy so that's good enough for me. For my personal vehicles I buy Honda. If toyota was to make a heavy duty van I'd probably buy one of them depending on reliability of course.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
classic arguments:
Ford or Chevy
Coke or Pepsi
Lenno or Letterman

You can't like both. If so you are unstable.

danpauselius

I just finished tuning up my old 99 E350 (Now it's my Dad's beater truck). It has the 5.4L and yes. the right side head gasket leaks oil as did 3/4 of every 5.4L engine Ford ever built.

I bought an 07 Chevy box truck and I like it well enough. If the local Ford dealer had the same box available, I definitely would have bought the Ford ... but the Chevy ain't so bad.

Becker

Name
Becker
Is Butler a chevy "dealer"?
I thought years ago I read they are a actual dealer.
If so, of couse they would lean toward chevy.
They have also leaned toward chevy because ford did not accept the install in there warranty. That is all in the past now.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Get a vortex, otherwise you are just kidding yourself. It's the only way to really clean carpets. :roll:

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Bryan Irvin said:
Chevy, Pepsi, Letterman.

Always coke. I like chevy, dodge is cool too, but not for machine installs.

I stopped watching letterman after he humiliated one of his guests. The poor bastard wasn't even all the way back-stage when he started talking about the guy's weight. Went on about it for the whole show too. I think it was Tom Arnold... The guy must have been humiliated just going on the show after his whole life fell apart and he gained all that weight. Then to top it off Dave gets a cheap laugh off him. I started watching leno from that point forward.

Name
R.J. Povio
ford v chevy

We drive fords and have for over 30yrs. tune ups (plugs and wires if equipped) must be done with the engine cold to avoid the head problems you guys are talking about. Meaning truck must be left over night and worked on the next day for the heads to cool down. The heads are either cast or aluminum which when heated can strip when new spark plugs are installed. Make sure with the fords you have proper wheel alignment cuz the fords will eat front tires with the twin i beam front suspension. Sometimes camber bushings might need to be installed from a good suspension shop to get the proper alignment. especially with real heavy loads. The biggest complaint we have about the fords is the front upper and lower ball joints they go sometimes in 40k to 70k and that's a 350-450 dollar repair. Buy replacement ball joints with greaseable fittings.

Fords 7.3L powerstroke diesel ive heard is more reliable than the new 6.0L (i havent heard about the new 6.4L yet) which was available until 2002 or 2003. Ive heard they get exceptional gas mileage loaded or not. The powerstroke is a way better engine power and mileage wise vs. the banks (chevy) diesel. The new chevy duramax diesel is now neck and neck the the fords newer diesels.

chevys supposedly ride better, get better mileage, tighter turning radius we dont own them but know people who do and they like them.

Biggest thing overlooked on any van is servicing the transmission oil and filter every 15-20k miles and rear end every 40-60k miles limited slip rear every 30k miles or so. we have one ford van with 166k with the original tranny and no problems.

Either brand will do you right if you do it right.....maintenance is the key

I am a ford lover at heart though

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom