Which wire is HOT

Rex Tyus

Albert Lazo said:
On an electrical cord. Is it the white?

thanks,
Albert

That is a dangerous question. With A/C current the black and the white will carry current. The white is considered the nuetral and black the "hot" leg. But it is not like d/c. They can both kill you under the right circumstnces.

TimP

Black hot, white neutral, green ground.

220 has 2 blacks white and ground if grounded.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Black is hot...white is neutral......and green is ground........Neutral is actually a ground also...in reality it is a neutral ground....

In some cases they do put a red as a hot so watch for that...this is A/C

D/C is total opposite....Black is always ground.......

T

The Magician

Never wire any thing that is hot. Shut the power source off!!!!

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Ditto Jim. No fun unless theres a chance of getting shocked. I would never work with 220 on though.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Thanks for looking out for me Jim. But like JM says, "what's the fun in that".

I was trying to wire a deadman switch on a buffer. I got this thing on ebay some years ago (tornado 2 speed buffer). It had a crappy plastic handle that fell apart and I could never get it back together. At the same time I can't let it go. The repair would have been about 500 so I passed. Use in garage mainly. I should be getting another used one (much more respectable looking) on thursday.

Have a laugh

DSCN1874.jpg

DSCN1875.jpg

Albert

John Buxton

right on, black is hot and terminals are gold, white is nuetral and terminals are silver. One thing I learned once was to take my vibrating phone off before climbing up a 12' ladder to wire some fans in. Even though I knew the power was off the phone went off exactly when I touched the bare black wire. I almost jumped off the ladder.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Is that "deadman" switch wired inline, or is their an intermediate relay? If wired inline, is it rated for the amperage of that motor?

That machine ought to have a name like "Deadman Buffer". 8)

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
It's a 15 amp switch wired inline. I'm picking up an EDIC saturn buffer for $200.00 on thursday. That will be my real buffer. Anyone that's had a tornado with the funky plastic handle would know what a pos handle it is. This thing had bunch of springs that couldn't be put back together to last more then 10 minutes.

untitled-1.jpg

Because of the unfavorable responses to my revolutionary handle, I've canceled the patent process...Damn!!

Jim, please donate to a lukemia foundation instead :lol:

Albert

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom