Who else does this to help prevent freeze damage?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
If it ever freezes, it will just expand out, to prevent any pressure buildup inside the heat exchanger

0215161335.jpg

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I would rate this right up there with the pull out method of birth control.
Don't get me wrong, I use a heater. But if a breaker trips and the heater shuts off, causing the water to freeze...I would rather the pressure to be released, allowing the water to freeze without damaging anything.

Am I wrong on this?

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
What if the nipple area freezes first .. then theres no room for the expansion

Get a circuit trip alarm or temp drop alarm !!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It makes sense in theory but the reality is if its cold enough to freeze, you're only partially protecting one area.

Not only can you still have trouble there but way upstream there is going to be a world of hurt coming. :errf:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
It makes sense in theory but the reality is if its cold enough to freeze, you're only partially protecting one area.

Not only can you still have trouble there but way upstream there is going to be a world of hurt coming. :errf:
I agree. I would never depend solely on that thought of giving water a place to expand. It's just something else to help prevent any major damage if and when the heater fails.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Will work about as well as freeze plugs. It sucks to have to worry about it. I have a compressor on board so I would if necessary blow it out at the end of the day. Manufacturers should offer a freeze package with low point drains. I'll bet more than 3/4's of their market has the problem.

Doug Rice

Supportive Member
I always wonder about my water softener. I do use a heater and run antifreeze through pump and HX. but I don't know any good way to winterize softener. I keep the heater back by the demand pump and WS tank. Hydramaster CDS.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom