Why aren't diesel cds units availble in standard caro vans?

Name
Jesse
Is it cause they don't get as hot? Not enough space with the bigger motor? Extra Torq will beat the clutches up?

What is it?

Thanks

Matt King

They were years back. The new diesel vans I looked had Very little room for a driveshaft to run above the motor and through through the doghouse. For example, an older diesel Chevy didn't look much different from the outside than a regular 350 did. The new intake manifolds and injectors sit pretty high now. They don't get as hot if you're just using a quick coolant to water transfer, especially if it's cool/cold out but a post heater fixes that. I'm sure they'll be available in the near future...

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Why hasn't anyone done what V and AT have done and bring the exhaust up through the floor into a big heatX for massive heat?

Greenie

Kevin Bunce said:
Why hasn't anyone done what V and AT have done and bring the exhaust up through the floor into a big heatX for massive heat?

Most van mfgs. aren't real fond of the potential liabilities of introducing carbon monoxide into a running van's passenger compartment.

V/AT have a "box", it's a different animal.

TimP

then put a heat exchanger under the van flatten in out. run some water/oil lines through the floor like the exhaust pipes maybe to another exchanger for water in the cab. There is a potential it just needs some engineering.

Greenie

Any "water" under the van may Freeze, so you would have to address that. It's the purpose of the Vortex patent on oil used this way.

Rex Tyus

Any "water" under the van may Freeze, so you would have to address that. It's the purpose of the Vortex patent on oil used this way.

I think Tim grew up in Cali. Now he is a Florida boy. Freezing is not the first thing to come to mind. 8)

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Greenie said:

They have the patent on "their" oil as I understand it. You could use another type of oil to water transfer, or even antifreeze to water HX. An auxillery pump could be used to pump the water through both heatexchangers, the exhaust to water and water to water exchangers to keep water circulating. It is possible, but people would have to want it bad enough.

I really don't see the problem with having the exhaust divert up into the TM unit during operation and a "diverter" to kick it back into the underneath side of the truck during transport. Have the HX contained inside an airtight box. For a few grand, people would be willing to pay for 250-270.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Company here, Greenway, had a Cleanco in a 1 ton diesel Chev van
He had a little giant for the heat boost.
He had it for 4 or 5 years and just sold it. He now has 2 Cleanco units mounted in diesel box trucks, with little giants.
He says they work great, has Ti wands, green glide, carpets dry in an hour.

Matt King

Greenie made a good point about having a box separate from a cab. If memory serves me correct (and it may not), Shawn had the entire fluid/heat transfer via engine exhaust process patented. Getting heat from the exhaust still isn't that complicated. It's the high quality parts/components needed to do something like that while keeping it Safe for an operator. I'm not sure guys would buy it when a simple 2ht can accomplish the same thing. And while I'm not the biggest fan of blower exhaust exchangers they can produce some good temps. Plenty for a single wand operator anyway. Kevin made an interesting note though.. "For a few grand, people would be willing to pay for 250-270." If they didn't like LP or blower exchangers this would seem like a no brainer to me as well... This is an odd industry though. Guys net $100 an hour but don't want to pay more than 150 dollars for a wand or 2-3 bucks for a gallon of prespray. Being frugal is one thing but being plain cheap is another...

TimP

I'd rather have an exhaust heat exchanger vs a blower one. I paid the 1700 or whatever it was for the exchanger. A propane heater would of done more for less. But the heater takes up space. If it can be done with relatively little floor space and you could get 250-270 and a flow required of a greenhorn and it costed 500-1000 more you may have a hit for us guys cause we all want heat really bad. I would love for my cds to run 240 all day at high flow and get about 210-220 at the carpet but my machine runs about 200-215 at the machine with a blower exchanger and it's usually at 200 right now that it has cooled down some. All I know is I want more heat and loosing floor space would suck.

Greenie

"Shawn had the entire fluid/heat transfer via engine exhaust process patented. "

This would be the reason Aero Tech does not use oil in their truck.

On the space thing...a LG heater only takes up 1 sq. ft of floor space, surely you can fit that on a compact CDS unit?

I think my vacuum took up more space.

All the crazy stuff you would have to do to make up for the 65,000 BTUs a LG #2 would give, just makes adding the heater that much more attractive. Everyone knows how to run a BBQ, there is no fear there.

If you didn't want to do a belly tank for LP, you could mount a 5 gal BBQ bottle to a door and swing it open, open the valve when cleaning, the bottle would be outside of the vehicle and well ventilated. As a post heater, I ran all week on 5 gal, best $14 I spent that week.

Matt King

That's about all I spent too using a 2ht for a post heater. That was running some pretty high temps at that. Running 220-230 or so would probably get you in the 8-10 dollar range. Over a years time that isn't much more than 100 bucks. The thing is with a clutch drive you have a nice steady base temp to start from. Kicking it up an extra 30-40 degrees is nothing for a 2ht. You can shut it off when you don't need it and not have to worry about anything which is nice. Like I said, anything can be done if you really want to do it. Dollar for dollar though, LP is tough to beat...

Name
Jesse
With the LG the addition of having 2 temperatures to work with is a great feature. When your running 260-270 you can't use a HF, running a second line that bypasses the heater is nice.

What do you guys with HOT machines do if you want to use a HF?
Does the V have a outlet that stays under 220?

TimP

I understand it would be the easiest way. But what all would putting one of those heater in a van cost. Do you have to install some venting or something? It seems I would like to have one eventually but not for quite some time. I'd love to have 240-250 heat ATM constant when I wanted it. I'll keep it in mind. And what does a belly tank run and how safe are they? I think the biggest opposition to having LP on a truck is safety. Just how safe are they?

Name
Jesse
You don't need a vent if you don't keep your doors and windows locked shut. We have our units at the rear of the van and just having the back doors closed up to the hoses is good enough to vent most of the heat. There's no real smoke or smell like a oil fired unit. They are safe if it's operating it properly, you'll know when it's not. Probably just north of 2 grand for a 3ht heater and a nice 18 gallon belly tank. If your machine can maintain about 200 then a 3HT will give you a very solid 270 even with a 18 flow wand. We run 260 to utilize paraflex.

Matt King

I've only used a 2ht as a post heater. Those 3ht numbers above are very impressive! A 4ht post heater and you'd probably think the water was pumped straight from hell... :D I think I paid around 8-900 bucks for my 2ht new but that was a few years ago. I'm sure they've gone up with the price of copper and all. You can find some nice used units though. Ebay has them from time to time. I think Greenie fixes them for guys so maybe he'd be a good contact for a unit. A large belly tank cost me about 400 bucks. That's really a slick way to go. I could fill up a 40lb. tank pretty cheap at our local LP store and it would last for a long time. I used them for years and feel they're very safe. I'm one of those 'extra' cautious guys too... I never had any vents in the van. I just made a little 1" high platform for the heater to bolt to and then bolted it to the floor. Installation and removal is extremely simple. My first machine (47 Sizzler) is still out in the field after 11 years with the original Little Giant 4ht heater.

TimP

I think a 2ht would be plenty for my cds with salsa. And 1400-1600 don't seem too bad with an under belly tank. I will definitely have to save up for something like that. Right now I'm wanting to upgrade to 2.5 hose first. Much cheaper but different type of upgrade though. With both of those upgrades I think I'd have a mini vortex for a single wand system. I talked with rex the other day and he has a 3ht and he's wanting to install it over the holiday. I think it will be an awesome upgrade, when he gets done I want to see it in action.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom