WHY do they call it a SCRUB Wand?

Mike Brummett

Who decided to slap this technically incorrect and very misleading label on the carpet wand?

O.K. "wand" isn't exactly right either, but the thing does not "scrub" anything - does it?

The wand (or floor tool if you prefer) does not replace the Agitation component in T.A.C.T.
Rather, it applies the rinsing solution to the carpet fibers and vacuums up the suspended soils and cleaning agents used to loosen that soil.

I have seen many carpet cleaning manuals refer to this tool as a scrub wand, and heard some very well respected instructors use the term frequently.

But come on, the term is incorrect and at the very least misleading. Particularily if you use a TEFLON GLIDE.
To "scrub" implies friction, but teflon REDUCES friction incredibly.

What are your thoughts on this cutting edge and vitally important topic :?:

MIKE :wink:

V

vegijohn

It is the water pressure that applies the agitation (scrubbing)--- do too many chop strokes and you'll know you scrubbed to much.

Mike Brummett

It is the water pressure that applies the agitation

O.K., let's say that is true. What manuals, or documentation can you cite that corroborate that idea?

I'm open minded. Just trying to do due dilligence in my research.

Thanks,

MIKE

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
You've never scrubed a trashed carpet Mike?

Then you clean like a girl.

No offense to girls. I like girls.

V

vegijohn

Mike Brummett said:
It is the water pressure that applies the agitation

O.K., let's say that is true. What manuals, or documentation can you cite that corroborate that idea?

I'm open minded. Just trying to do due dilligence in my research.

Thanks,

MIKE

I believe it was in a book written by Carl Williams and Mike West and it was used as a training manual in the IICRC Carpet Cleaning Tech. Class. I forget the title.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The meaning of scrub in this case is not in relation to a rotary brush, but to the compression rollers of Moore flatbed washer. That most efficient cleaning machine is what the wand was meant to emulate. Compression moves impacted soil through and up from the carpet backing, without the nap damage of aggressive brush scrubbing.

When used correctly (not the drag wand style of many franchise operations) the light wand does indeed scrub the carpet. The correct wand usage can be found in most major manufacturer's manuals, as well as in all of books copied from West and Williams over the years. I have yet to hire a technician with prior cleaning experience that knows how to move a wand correctly, although I've met many O/Os that do.

The addition of anything that makes a wand slip easily over the surface of the carpet does reduce friction agitation, but that isn't a large part of extraction wand cleaning. Creating a larger wand surface area does reduce compression though, and that loss has to be made up in some other way to get the same degree of clean.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Because you can turn it on it's side and scrub with it. You can't do that with a glided wand.

All the above BB BS not withstanding.

steve r

i would have to agree with marty, but i also apply downward force when larger areas need more aggitation.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
And you are telling me that just the simple fact of rubbing the wand on the carpet is NOT agitation?

Such a simple conclusion!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom