WHY I CAN'T BUY FROM COBB CARPET SUPPLY ANYMORE

Monzie

Name
Mike Brummett
Over the years I have learned to be a bit more cautious about buying a new TM. I decided that one good way to determine if a company or their machines were any good was to talk to the people who actually own them. Not just for 3 to 5 years either, but for 10 years plus. I got to visit Gary Glenn's operation in Abilene TX 4 or 5 years ago. Gary could not say enough good things about Cobbs TM's and how bullet-proof they were. Gary is also one of these guys that seems to rake in the dough, no matter what he does, he makes money at it. Based on his referral, I drove down to Dallas and bought Cobbs DC-534 unit. Extremely simple design, plenty of heat and suction, and it ran absolutely trouble free for 3 years. Then one day my tech is out on a job and the engine has flames/fire coming out around the crankshaft at the back. I take it to my Prochem guy, Leon Brown in Topeka who is probably one of the best diagnostics people in the business. Leon tells me that the crankshaft bearings are gone [the engine is a total loss] and why they are gone. The belts on the DC-534 are installed extremely tight. In fact they are almost impossible to do a simple change-out. There are absolutely NO SLOTS in the engine mount plate to allow for belt changing or tensioning. Same with the blower. Consequently there is so much excess torque being constantly applied to the crank bearings, that they wear unevenly and BURN UP. Leon explained this to the Cobb brothers and even sent them pictures. They insisted that there had to be slots in the engine mount plate. They were partially correct. There are slots, but they are FRONT to BACK rather than side to side and therefore USELESS. I bought a new engine for $4000 and Leon modified [re-designed is more like it] the engine mounting set up so that it now functions PROPERLY. O.K., maybe this particular unit was built on a Friday, or maybe the fabrication shop that cranks out Cobbs parts screwed up on the mounting plate. I don't know. I took positive action to focus on a solution, and I found one. Sadly, the response I received from Larry Cobb and his brother was absolutely dismal. What it amounted to was them giving me the shoulder shrug along with a half-hearted, "Gee that's too bad." At no point during our efforts to communicate with Cobb Carpet Supply did we receive any HELP, any OFFER to even LOOK at the unit and absolutely ZERO in the way of compensation for being out over $4000. I mean NOTHING. (except for the steadfast denial that there is no way any of this was their fault) I have always preferred independent family owned outfits over the giant multi-branch corporate supply houses that choke out real competition. For that matter I have always liked Larry Cobb, and I still do. However, after this experience I cannot with clear conscience refer Cobb Carpet Supply nor any of their products to anyone that I consider a friend or a peer in my industry. If you are considering a Truck-Mount purchase from Cobb, please carefully consider the experience that I have been through and how I have been treated as a Cobb customer. Don't throw away $16,000 like I did and then have to spend $4000 out of your own pocket 3 years later. Go ahead and spend $20,000 NOW on a QUALITY Name Brand unit such as PROCHEM, HYDRAMASTER, etc. Go to Interlink, Jon-Don or your favorite local independent. Don't make the same mistake I did.

F

FB7777

Sounds like you should have bought locally from one of those " independent non multi location evil corporate empires " you despise

Mikey P

Administrator
If I were to ever buy a slide in again I'd be damn sure it have a tension arm for the belt system.

So those were 3 year old belts?

Monzie

Name
Mike Brummett
Sorry you must have mis-read my post. I never used the word "despise" nor indicated such towards any person or company. I did speak positively about the type of company that I PREFER to do business with whenever I am able to do so. In 2005 I bought my BlueLine Thermal Wave from Leon's Services in Topeka, KS. I paid $28,000 for it and it was worth every penny. Never had a lick of trouble with it and it is still going strong. So yes, I should have bought from someone that I already had a good experience with. The fact that Blueline had closed it's doors did not help - I would have bought a 2nd one no questions asked. I readily admit my own faults and shortsightedness at every point in the process. I share the experience so others might learn from my poor judgment and not make the same mistakes. I would rather have a clear conscience any day over a pocket full of money that I had ripped off from others.

Monzie

Name
Mike Brummett
The DC 534 is a good machine and I intend to continue using it. Since Leon Brown corrected Cobbs major design-flaw (or Friday-built-unit) it works PROPERLY. The machine had something like 230 hours when this happened. After about 18 months I took it back to Cobb and had them install new belts, because there is no way in hell I could do it. My issue is not so much with the hardware as it is with people who can shrug off a 4 grand loss by one of their customers as if it were a quarter that fell through a street grate. If I screw something up for one of my clients, I FIX IT OR I REFUND THEIR MONEY. And trust me, over 30 years in business I have made my share of mistakes and I have MADE THINGS RIGHT every time. Imagine being in a customers home to do a carpet patch. You get paid up front and she leaves for work. Everything goes smoothly, but you accidentally set your seam iron on her carpet and leave a big black rectangular burn. You, ignore it, finish up the patch and head home, stopping at the bank to cash her check on the way. The next day your phone rings and she is very upset that you burned her carpet. You tell her that you are sorry about her situation, but don't see what it has to do with you. "Gosh that's too bad" you tell her as you hang up the phone. That's pretty much exactly how Cobb has responded to me over this whole situation. So, think VERY carefully before you buy a TM System from them.

FredC

Village Idiot
That was from his facebook page, where you can't hit enter without it posting.

it's lame.

So have pity.

ah...just an fyi

Hold shift while pressing enter to create new paragraphs when posting on FB ..........

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
SO a few things....

$4k for a new motor??? I went and looked and nothing over 3k that i could find, and it took some looking to find $2700...most where 21-2400

230 hrs after 3 yrs??? i mean WTF??? it barely had time to get the motor to have a few oil changes....

Hey i get it i would be pissed to....but after 3 yrs (unless its an hr thing, but if its like a car its either...NOT or) the big boys would most likely say ...sorry dude

in the end, if you actually did the home work you claim to do, before buying a machine....you would have looked at something simple....like how do i change the belts....am i wrong???

then upon other searching... i find this thread from may

http://mikeysboard.com/forum/showthread.php?266802-Dynachem-DC-534-Problems

back then it was 1200 hrs, and the mechanic sounds like he has changed belts multiple times??? and if he is a master...why didnt he find issues sooner....

plus the 30+ yrs of running TM....i refer to line 4.....you didnt look it over good enough.....

just some thoughts

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Good point Doug.

It's funny how this stuff sometimes gets all messed up especially when we are upset.

1200 hours is not a complete life of a motor but it is way different than 300 hours.

Why have we not seen or heard of any similar issues? Isolated to this motor? Maybe but very weird for sure.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
I'm a firm believer in buying a car made on an assembly line as opposed to one built in a warehouse or a garage.
I feel the same way about truck mounts.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
your not a tesla guy then are you??

because the market sure is....

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree with Greg I'd only buy from the majors. I know Cobb, Judson & TCS make a good products, there are plenty here to testify for their machines.

I don't have the same confidence in them that I do Prochem, Hydramaster or Butler, it's not personal but the big boys will always get my money. Stories like Brummett's don't help, not that you can't have problems with the big boys too but my experience is when it's been a real issue I've always been taken care of.

Reactions: Shane Deubell

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
For a major investment we are definitely going with a big boy manufacturer, try to buy local whenever possible but not for van/tm.

I have too many headaches as it is, this is one to scratch off the list.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
If I screw something up for one of my clients, I FIX IT OR I REFUND THEIR MONEY.

Even three years later?

Don't get me wrong, I'd be pissed also!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'd want at least some assistance on replacement, in nothing else motor at distributor cost.

Of course we're only hearing Mike side maybe Cobb has a reason for not helping. ????

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Nothing is warrantied for 3 years...Sorry to hear about your bad luck but it is just that bad luck. Larry has been making Dynachem truck mounts for a long time. I ran one for a long time. Did what it was supposed to and easy for a clumsy oaf like me to work on. It sucks but after 3 years its your problem, doesn't mean they couldn't or shouldn't have looked at the issues and maybe offered to discount an engine but if it was truly an engineering issue yours wouldn't be the only one with this issue. Not saying you are but I would think we would hear at least one or two more people complaining their machine did the same thing.

Last if you paid $4000 for a motor on a Cobb machine you got jacked bro... and I know Leon and no way would he jack you so something is off big time with this story. Maybe your memory is off? I'd give Leon a call since we are friends but I'll let you correct the mistakes of memory first

Reactions: dealtimeman

Monzie

Name
Mike Brummett
Typo -my mistake - it was 1131 hours. Don't know how messed that up. Have to stop posting when it's past my bed time. Here's the bottom line: If SOMEONE at Cobb would have had the professionalism and courtesy to at least take the time to write me a letter and say something like..."We are very sorry for your problems with our unit. Even though we are not able to offer you a refund or replace the engine, perhaps there is something we might be able to do, like help you find a new engine at wholesale cost....Please call when you can and let's see what we might be able to work out". Instead, Larry avoided all contact with me and all communication from the minute I brought up the problem was via his brother whose name I can't even remember now. He was not mean about things, but his answer to my dilemma was essentially: "Tough shit buddy." The failure of the TM was/is NOT that big of a deal, it was the MANNER IN WHICH COBB DEALT WITH THE PROBLEM that I have an issue with. The $4000 was the engine, the installation and the modifications to get the thing working properly. I am over it now. I will still purchase certain chemicals and such from the Cobb brothers, but they will be ice skating in hell before I ever buy another Dynachem Truckmount. It's really too bad, because in all other respects Cobb could branch out and give the Jon-Don's and Interlinks a little run for their money. As it stands now they end up being a sales conduit FOR their competition, so don't feel sorry for me, feel sorry for THEM.

Monzie

Name
Mike Brummett
That's ALL folks. THANK YOU to EVERYONE for ALL your advice, chastisement, kicks in the butt and encouragement. I am my own worst enemy, but sometimes it helps to have others remind me of that fact!!!!!

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
It is funny how you state in Facebook that you don't visit any forums because you can't speak freely about supporting venders but you come on here to complain about how your three year old engine on your unit failed you.

Larry is a very established and respected member and supporting vender on this forum and you are stating misinformation about your issue in a hope to slander or dissuade anyone from buying his equipment. To me this is wrong as there is no such thing as a 4000 dollar 30 hp motor.

Now after you have placed doubt in potential buyers you are backing up a little in an attempt to save face.

Becker

Name
Becker
I'm good with my equipment, and I run the shit out of it.

I had a hydramaster for like 10 years, I was on my 4th motor.

1st I replaced just cuz it had a shit load of hrs.
2nd one broke a rod in the 1st 2 years.
3rd I feel I got my hrs out of when the timing gear broke.
4th still in it, but it only had one hard year of use and is a part time machine now.

So that said, 3 years old.. How many hrs? 230? Maybe the engine died of boredom.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Talked at length to my Kohler engine service rep today.

He stated that they have seen a few 999cc engines with oil dilution issues,

that led to premature piston ring and bearing failure.

First symptom was oil blowby, resulting in high oil consumption.

This could have been the case on this TM engine,

if it was operated with 10W30 type SN oil.

Much more likely reason for the main bearing failure,

after 3 years of service.

Oil analysis for metal particles could have determined if this indeed was the case.

Larry

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom