Will a Steamway 2100 work well in a trailer?

Mikey P

Administrator
I have the opportunity to get one with 53 hours on it. Possibly even barter/clean for it.

The foot print is pretty big on these so what sized trailer would work with some room left over for a 175, hoses and what not?

Will my Chevy 1500 Silverado 2WD have a problem towing the weight?

I'm guessing a can of Kero and a can of gas can be safely mounted inside right?

Mikey,

Get a tandem TRL with brakes , 18 to 20 ft.

Longer wheelbase will aid in backing.

Ramp door in rear.

Mount gas tank on tongue if legal in CA.

PU will have plenty of power

Good luck,Judson

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Judson are you Crazy? 18-20'! Mike do NOT get that big of Trailer you will freak right the f*CK OUT.(Remember where he lives) Yes you want an Dual Axle with Breaks but a 7x12 or 8x14 is more trailer then you will ever need. Heck a 6x10 will even work. Ramp doors can be nice but you have to ask yourself if the extra expense is worth it

Mounting the tanks on the tongue is the way we do it here. We use Spun Aluminum tanks. A little welding and they mount up easy.

As for your truck you will be fine as long as you don't buy an 18-20' trailer :?

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I would think a trailer would be a serious PITA in your neck of the woods. I did it in Phoenix, but the roads are wide open and flat there.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Containers for gasoline and kerosene that are for marine use will hook up and be safe inside the trailer.

I tend to agree a smaller trailer is better unless you intend to carry a lot more than just the truckmount.

A nice feature of a trailer is being able to drop it at a job site for an employee to use or leave on site for a job that requires multiple days to complete - apartments office complex, etc. But I don't see that as your clients right now. Maybe you could appeal to an additional range of clientele.

Scott Warrington

Trailers are measured from tip of tongue to end of box.

A 18 ft trl would have a 14 ft box.

Big complaint with short wheelbase unit is backing up and jack knife.

Put together a 24 ft with air cond.,power gen,office space and room for
his complete equip. & supplies.

He parks on street and runs hoses to job.

Notice what a motor freight driver can do with a 40 ft. trailer,

What I saw in Mikeys Vortex would fill a 14 ft. quickly.

If you have a Cimex ,get the ramp door, $ 750.00 add on from our mfg.

If the unit is just a back up anything will work.

Crazy:: will not jump out of a good airplane,been there,done that,once.

Hang in there John.

Good luck,Judson

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Putting the kero tank inside is something I wouldn't see a problem with, but I don't know I would want to put the Gasoline tank inside. First, the logistics in filling a gas tank on the inside is dubious at best. But the bigger problem is gas fume venting. Most every fuel tank is vented to prevent pressure build-up due to temp variances.

I would use a marine tank securely mounted to the tongue.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Ok maybe I got you beat on the crazy part :) But I still disagree on the size of the Trailer. He would hate pulling that long of a trailer around his streets. I actually don't think he would be the one pulling it either. Also I would have to look up the towing capacity of his truck but that size of a trailer will eat up alot of weight and will be counter productive since he won't be able to fill it up anyway.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Shawn Forsythe said:
Putting the kero tank inside is something I wouldn't see a problem with, but I don't know I would want to put the Gasoline tank inside. First, the logistics in filling a gas tank on the inside is dubious at best. But the bigger problem is gas fume venting. Most every fuel tank is vented to prevent pressure build-up due to temp variances.

I would use a marine tank securely mounted to the tongue.

Marine Tank? These are what we use
TANK1033E.jpg

Tile Nerd

That's exactly what I just updated the posting in Swapmeat forum in the "Downsizing My Restoration Company" thread. I've been pulling it with my F150, 4.6 liter (small V-8) without a problem. However, if I was going to pull daily I would probably upgrade to a 5.6 liter.

Name
La Canada Carpet Cleaning
6x 10

6 x 10 is fine, For a back up you don't need a dual axles, Kero on the inside ,fuel on the tongue,

Mine was 2300.00, with a side door, get rear barn doors, no Ramp

V

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ok as someone who has HAD a trailer. and both ramped and not, big and small...

I WILL BE THE EXPERT HERE!!!! 8)

7 foot wide...you would be surprised how much a ft makes in a trailer...
12 foot long.... had a 7x14 and a 6x10..i think the 7x12 would hit a sweet spot...

you still have a little fender out there to help guide yet not to get in the way of things...

TANDEM AXLE PERIOD..had both...tandems ride SOOOOOO much better it is not even funny.. makes it a bunch easier on the equipment that way....

Barn doors..if you do get stuff you need to wheel out, buy a small aluminum ramp that can slide on the side and is easy in easy out....also if you have to go up a few steps at a house or where ever, you have a ramp to grab...

Fuel on the tongue, easy to fill up that way to...plus no worrying about gas fumes in there with the kero burner...

electric brakes make a huge difference to...more so with them crazy ass Cali drivers.

so here ya go 7x12, tandem, swing doors, side door to of course.....

OHHHH YEA ONE MORE THING

with your tall ass...if you are wanting it just right GET THE EXTRA 6" OR A FOOT ADDED TO THE HEIGHT....it is no fun for you or the chimp to whack his head....and it will save the back...in the big trailer i had the extra height..in the small one no....GET THE TALLER ONE....

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Thread HighJack

The Tile Nerd said:
That's exactly what I just updated the posting in Swapmeat forum in the "Downsizing My Restoration Company" thread. I've been pulling it with my F150, 4.6 liter (small V-8) without a problem. However, if I was going to pull daily I would probably upgrade to a 5.6 liter.

Thread HighJack

Dude aren't you a supplier? Suppliers PAY and POST in the supplier specials not the Swapmeet. Pay up and send Mikey His $50 Bro..

Jimbo

Mike, I had a nice brand new trailer and truck a few years back...man you don't want to do it...except for a back up unit.

Think about pulling into the longest skinnyest driveway of one of your existing custys...and you have to back all the way out...no turn around room at the top.

I'd say get the unit...and find a 4k$van to throw it in...forget the trailer.- Jim

Jay D

Name
Jay D
That puppy should be in a long wheelbase van. It is a big truckmount as it is, I could'nt imagine going down or backing down some of those driveways in the santa cruz mountains with a trailer, unless you are an expert at backing up a large trailer. It would be a great machine for your second unit/backup machine thats for sure. If I had to, I would put it in a 6X10 based on the tight driveways you may face. It won't have much room inside but it is your backup machine. I have used a trailers for boats, camping and hauling stuff and I would have a hard time in the mountains and hills you face weekly. And yes I have a backup EZ in a 4x8 open trailer but all my work is in subdivisions.

P.S. Jimbo beat me to it(as I was typing) get a nice high mileage van.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
My box truck is a 6 x 10. I have my Powermatic, reels, shelves, really all kinds of things in there.

For many years I used the marine tanks that come with the Powermatic for both gas and kerosene. My son in law still uses this system inside his truck.

If you decide not to get the machine, I will be pleased to buy it.

Loren

Mikey P

Administrator
They want 6 grand for it :shock:

Half of which they are willing to barter hallway cleanings for. :shock: :shock:

Overkill for a back up that may get used 4 times a year but when I'm ready to get another van on the road it will be ready.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Dude, a new PM for $6000?

just buy the thing.
you'd be crazy not to.
figure out what to put it in later.

going by memory, the unit weighs 930 pounds empty.
foot print is 35" x 60"

you won't need a big trailer.
You will need one that can carry some weight.
I'd suggest a minimum of 3000 pound payload capacity.
Your pick-up will handle that.

boat tanks will be fine inside the trailer.
Just tell Whathisname not to stub out his roaches on the tank.

trailers are a PITA.
a van would be best.
However, you'll actually have to use the TM enough to pay for the added ins of another van.

If you were smart, you'd send Whatshisname out in it on jobs he can do himself.
Instead of sending the V out to single wand.

..L.T.A.

Tile Nerd

Re: Thread HighJack

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Mike,

Why not just get yourself a van, and buy the machine for cash and barter the rest.

Wrap the van, put the chimps in the V, and use the other as a backup.

Heck, if nothing else, you could turn a profit on it.

Tile Nerd

Mikey P said:
They want 6 grand for it :shock:

Half of which they are willing to barter hallway cleanings for. :shock: :shock:

Overkill for a back up that may get used 4 times a year but when I'm ready to get another van on the road it will be ready.

Give me the guys #, I'll buy it.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Mike buy the machine! They are very heavy 900 lbs. Instead of a trailer go with an extended van.

Mine is mounted at the side for more room in the back.

If it really has that many hours it is a freakin steal. You will love the heat. They are easy to work on as well. I do all repairs on my older unit.

Your truck will be fine to pull but I would get dual axle and brakes. Machine and equip with 100 gal tank will be heavy.

Even if you set it in the garage for a while you'll have a great backup. Move the vacuum port to the tank lid and you can run 4 to the door with decent vac.

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
trailer

Where do you find this gem?

If you have the money, put it in an extended 1 ton. Even with a fresh water tank you'll still have room for your 175 and Cimex and other stuff or leave off the water tank and have that much more room.

The money you'll end up paying for a dual axle 7x12 trailer with brakes, is what it'll cost for a decent reliable used van with highway miles. Then you don't have to worry about the hassles of dealing with maneuvering a trailer around, where to put fuel tanks, etc.. insurances, engine maintenance might be a little more but in the long run... fewer headaches.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree with buying it and also buying a used van.

You'll get tired of the trailer, backing it up and parking can be a real hassle especially in the hills you live and work in.

I'd get a decent van and get her all setup, the way you want. It will make an excellent backup and over book van.

If you have it for a while and just don't use it, it will be easier to sell as the complete package, than in the trailer.

We have van's and TM's that are not always used each day, but when the situation presents itself we are always prepared to take advantage of it.

You'll be surprised how much you'll actually use it.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Re: Thread HighJack

The Tile Nerd said:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom