Will your Kids become a Carpet Cleaner?

Mikey P

Administrator
How many of you have had your offspring follow in your bootied foot prints?

Do you see your teenagers learning the trade AND sticking with it?

And more importantly, do you WANT them to?

My 16 year old son,Davis, works 2 days a week with me but show almost no signs of wanting to take over some day.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I cleaned a car dealership tonight with my son and he thought it was fun. He said " when I get older I will be a cleaner too".

I told him after collage if he wants to be a rug sucker fine, but not until collage is done. That way he has options.

We have collage funds set up for all of our kids and I want them to have a better chance at life than I had.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
John worked with me for a while.
He didn't like CCing.
Truthfully he wasn't very good at it, as he didn't focus on details.
Stupid little things like leaving a popcorn kernel or piece of lint at the bottom of a door jamb were things that drove me NUTZ!

He did much better working and running a 3 man rehab crew, though.

He was excellent at the management end of it and I didn't have to do a thing.
He took care of it all, scheduling, materials, billing, etc.

He was offered a better job and took it with my blessing as a project manager for a development Co.
Right now he's over seeing a $20 million dollar restoration project on a 7 story housing unit

If something happened to me, He would probably consider stepping into my shoes.
He's a better organizer than me and would probably be a better businessman as well (which wouldn't be hard).

He's approached me and we've discussed a partnership in flipping houses

..L.T.A.

Name
Lee Stockwell
All of my kids are great cleaners. However each worked at other jobs for a few years before getting serious. Each also did community service work for at least a year along with their other duties.

Jeremy is an expert installer with over 15 years experience, and a degree in Industrial Safety and Hygiene.

Joshua is a safety engineer with Centex, but cleaned carpets while going thru MSU.

Jason supervises most of our commercial work, and is in his 15th year of ministry in the Spanish speaking field.

Justin spent two years in Texas as a superintendent for Alpha, the biggest waterproofing contractor in the region. In August he came back to Kentucky to take over our WDR work, and actually be my boss.

Ginger, my only daughter, was my best residential cleaner who I loved to work with every day for two years. A new granddaughter led Gin to a more important job. You will often hear her voice on the phones now.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
Both my kids are in college, health care administration with minor in marketing

I have the same feelings about it as Adam

Both of the kids have worked for me at times but at this point in time neither seems to have motivation for manual type labor

but they are both doing great at private university and have part time jobs and doing ok so I am happy about it right now

rhyde

Name
rhyde
that's kind of a fear i have, I've experienced 3rd-4th generation family businesses the nepotism is unfair to the employees, customers and the blood, sweat and tears it took to get a business where it is.

beyond that i want my kids to pursue their own dreams not settle for mine

Audra

Our son has been on the van with us for 5 years now. He just turned 12. At the age of 10 he became the Youngest Certified Textile Cleaner in the U.S. & got Journeyman Status last year at 11. Sure he was born with a golden RX-20 in his hand but he didn't HAVE to work with us - he just wanted to. We still don't make him but he loves it & is on our payroll. This has taught him the value of money & he has his own mutual funds & money market accounts. (He is home schooled which gives him the opportunity to work with his parents of course). Our clients love him & respect him with everything that he has accomplished. He loves going to our schools & pays attention in class better than most of the adults. Some cleaners on here may already know him from being in classes with him.

He doesn't have to carry on the business & he actually is a great artist so he may go into that or since he has been in Martial Arts since he was 6 he may do something in that industry. He is testing for his 2nd Degree Black Belt in a few months & takes 3 styles of martial arts. He does want to own whatever he does. He says that he will do whatever we do too. He is a hard worker...but like I said we have never made him work he wanted to - it was his choice. He loves setting goals & meeting or exceeding them. This business is great for your kids as long as they have it in their blood too. I call us all the "Thrinkies" not Twinkies - since it is the 3 of us & we all dress alike while working. We are very proud of Christopher...guess you can tell!!! He does have at least 3 career choices already.

Anyways it is great to be able to work with your husband & son...I love it & wouldn't trade it for the world!!! :)

Sorry so long but I am proud of him.

Audra :wink:

hogjowl

Idiot™
I've got a 16 year old son, too. And mine is a pain the the butt on the truck. He can't pay attention to detail, and doesn't want to be there.

So, I make him work with me on weekends and on some commercial work during the week.

He doesn't want to be there, and I sure as hell would be happier if he wasn't, but he needs to be with me right now.

One day, after college, I hope he gets a job.

Out of State.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Joseph my oldest used to come with me when he was lil,due to the fact .
I was always working far to many hours...

He graduated his private high school as Valedictorian in 04...

Was accepted at Yale,but chose Trinity for the courses and campus...

Was awarded some form of 32,000 grant for graduate school of his choice,and also a job offer to be a professor at Trinity.If he chooses to come back and teach...

So in his case no,He knows all aspects of the job.I have pictures of me and him on quite a few small jobs...I miss those times...but...

Autumn is going to Elms College.She is going for her medical degrees,she works part time at the hospital.Which we clean also...

But the only reason,I started this business was to make sure they went to a college...

As I learned later about the real dangers of the chems and pre-sprays.I am very glad they were never exposed to much of it...

But they all learned all the phases of ops we do.So as to understand what we do,but not have to do it...They were dynamite window cleaners.I have dun-kins in Enfield that the regulars still ask about them.

But would I want them to work in this business,heck no...
It will always be there for them if they wanted to,but lil birds grow and fly away they must...

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
We are a 3rd generation family business and I disagree with the comment about nepotism above, although that is something to be concerned about. I believe if there are opportunities for advancement for employees, they are actually comforted by the continuity of a family business which tend to be more homey than corporate America. Of course family members need to be put in positions commensurate with their skills and desires, and earn them.

We have dozens of different positions available, including over 15 middle to upper management ones for those who show the skills and desire. We also have numerous high paying sales positions, plus dozens and dozens of high paying labor opportunities.

Ken

Ricky Thurman

l'll let you know in a couple of days when I see my daughter for the first time. I'm guessing she probably won't want anything to do with it. Way too dirty. She's already being real prissy and just like a girl.....doing things her way. That little girl just isn't going to come out of mommy's belly until she's good and ready!

Name
Steve Lawrence
My oldest is 30 and has been on our team since age 13. The 27 and 24 year olds worked with us part time here and there but never took to it like our oldest. It fits him well like it does me. We're lucky to have family on the sharp end of the stick.

Good stories above, thanks.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
sorry Ken i didn't mean that all 3-4th generation families owned business are rife with nepotism however it's something I've experienced

imagine a family member brought in to the company as a estimator for residential and commercial cleaning who's prior business experience was produce manager at a grocery store. No real world cleaning experience =jobs bid out at 4 hours that where really 6 hour jobs, employees getting to a job site and having no access to water or all the supplies or tools needed, poor pre-qualifying and over promising cleaning performance/results

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I followed my dad into the glamorous field of warehousing. I did as he did, worked nights, weekends and holidays. I finally got the balls to get out and do something on my own. I now see my kids more and get to go to the school plays and tuck them in at night. If my kids want to suck rugs, so be it. As long as they are there for their family.

Jimbo

My hat's off to you, Caesar, for providing the opportunities to your kids!

I've got three very nice grown-up children...the two girls are pursuing college...one to be a psychcologist...one to be an engineer...and my son is Very well trained in the cleaning profession...so well trained that he is koit's star manager in Reno at 28 y/o.

I think it's best that we give them the option to excel at whatever they please...so you guys with little kids should start a college fund TODAY...cause it's going to be your wallet later on!- Jim

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Maybe they won't be cc's but have their own business. I've tried to plant that in my son's head but no go. Who knows, years from now he may think different.

Albert

G

My daughter is 18. She just started college last August and works part time at Bestbuy's(electronics store).
She wants to have her own business after school.

My 10 year old son wants to own a restaurant after he finishes his NFL career.

We're all set.

G

My daughter is 12 and my son is 8. By the time they are able to be in the business I would hope they want to be involved. My son would be a good marketer and my daughter would be good running the business. I think by then we would have technicians doing the cleaning.

If their heart is not in it or they are not a good fit somewhere I would not want them in the business. We have to do what we enjoy in life and I wouldn't want to force them in a business they don't want to be in.

Dave

GRHeacock

I took my 2 sons and daughter with me from the time they were 12 or so, to see what Dad did.

Youngest son thought the work was too hard, and became Mr. Computer Expert of The World, and is doing very well in that field.

My daughter wanted to be a mom more than anything, and not interested in business- and is raising 2 beautiful daughters.

My eldest son took to cleaning like a duck to water. He always enjoyed doing it, and still does, running his own business that took over mine when I retired.

He is now taking his eldest- 10 years old -out with him and teaching him the ropes. It might be a 3 generation thing.

Gary

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
If you read anything from the above.Heed Jim Eckman very well...

Save at all costs now...If you need a airpath or some fancy tool,and use it great...

But if you are buying for buyings sake.As in Hey,I made great cash.Lets go treat myself...Very Wrong...

I started with savings bonds 25 dollars per week per child,they matures.Cashed them in and bought them again plus more with the interest...

When Caesars was formed cash was set aside plus the bonds for each child...

I did not want what hap pended to me personally to ever happen to them.Growing up...

Now if they choose the bizness fine...Maybe in ten years after they grow ,they will.Perhaps never,perhaps always...

But really look and listen to them or you will lose them.As one above poster seems to be too callous to change his or his siblings life around...

For if that is true...That is a f-n shame...

Tony Neville

Name
Tony Neville
I think everyone is doing the same thing here too. If they want to fine, if not that's great too Don't want to force anything. Just want em Happy with what they are doing!!

Tony

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
My 17-year old has spent summers being the shop boy around here. He has had to clean toilets, sweep and mop, cut grass, dump trash, wash trucks.

This last summer he spent with the fire crews, he loved it and they loved him. He is a go getter, he will work and not complain, he is all about doing a good job. Over Christmas vacation he spent everyday cleaning carpet and they said he did a great job as an assistant.

I want him to learn all aspects of the business but I want him to graduate from collage. After he graduates and if he want to work for us then I'm fine with it.

I just don't want to provide him with an easy way out, I'd prefer he get an education, and if he chooses to stay it will make him more valuable, if he doesn't it gives him more options. :wink:

His sisters all want to work, But they just see the money there brother has made. There are 13 and 10-year old twins, so they will get their chance soon.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
All kidding aside, I'm grateful that Lee put up with my poor attention to detail and other issues that might have gotten me fired by anyone else and that I got to be where I am because of this business.

That said, my oldest daughter is in college and plans to be a psychotherapist. I think she's decided to make her life's work figuring out why I do the things that I do!

My three year old daughter isn't quite ready to be put to work.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
As Jim said the family bus provides an opportunity that might not otherwise have been there. I suspect like in our case, if Jim had not cut the mustard on some level he would be relegated to a position in keeping with his capabilities, or given the boot.

Many businesses, not just family ones, have a nepotism factor, which done well can be good for the business. Almost everyone who works for us (about 160 people) was recommended or is related to someone else who works for us. We have found that good people recommend good people at a much higher success rate than ads in the newspaper or online.
Ken

STEVEC

I used to take my son out cleaning with me and he showed no interest in the business. I took him out on rentals and he couldn't believe that people lived like that. He's a very talented musician and is going to college to be a music teacher. I told him that he would be one of the lucky few that could make a living doing something that they really enjoy.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Ken, I got the "boot" a few times, but it was still connected to Lee's leg....

I shared my story more to remind the dad's that few teenagers take to the work as quickly as we'd like them to. Lee's solution with me was to have me work under someone other than him, and that I was held to a higher standard than the other employees, not the reverse.

One other problem with hiring "the kids" is often that "mom" doesn't want "dad" to be tough on the kids. That issue often creates needless tension as well.

G

I worked for my family. It did a negative thing for us. I seen through the lights, song and dances. Dad got pissed..gave me a kick in the ass...and broke his big toe over it.

Is it a good thing? Can be if you looking at the same light as they are. I did learn good things and learned about relationships that are developed. But I also seen what they were blind to also.

For me it drove us apart. I can't do the holidays like a normal family. The parents look at me as a black sheep and wonder why I don't gross huge ass numbers like them. But then I try to show them $$$ per person, I'm ahead. But it goes back and forth like water and oil trying to mix.

You guys are lucky if you can make it work! :D

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I'm a second generation Carpet cleaner.

I worked for my Dad and Mum for 2-3 years and really enjoyed the experience.

I left when they decided to sell out and move from Aussie back to New Zealand and I started my own company. My Dad had worked for me from time to time when he didn't have any work and thats worked out great.

He is about to get out of another business that he has run for the past 4-5 years and is looking again at possibly working for me on a more permanent basis.

Working for Dad really helped me get to know him better and our relationship is great because of it.

I didn't want to be a CCer when I left school and only wanted to work with timber making doors, windows, staircases, furniture etc. I pursued that dream and within 6 months of completeing my 4 year apprenticeship, I was promoted to workshop foreman over 19 guys many that were 10-20 years senior to me. It was tuff but I really enjoyed the next two years in that positition. I eventually left for health reasons and thats when Dad offered me short term employment until I worked out what I wanted to do. One thing led to another and it ended up being my long term employment.

I have 2 girls 3 1/2 and 2 with another due next month so none are even close to looking at part time work. When that time comes, I'll encourage PT work in the business to teach them value for money that they earn etc. I'll be reluctant to employ them full time unless that is what they want. I have funds set up that will mature when they hit 18 that will enable them to go to University if they so desire but again, I won't be dictating that they go regardless.

If they want to work for the business, I'll be strongly encouraging them to work elsewhere first so they learn accountability under someone else rather than me is will be a big softy.

By then, if we still have this business, my hope would be that it was such that it was more than just a CC business. We have plans and if they work out, there will be a number of options for them to work is different areas.

John

G

My son (2) and daughter (7) are to young yet, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I would like to have my son on a truck one day though. Whether or not he ever does it full time...we'll see. Whatever the choice, it'll be after or during college though. I definitely won't push into the cc biz if he doesn't want to do it.

Not everyone is cut out for this business.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I hope mine don't get involved. Ideally, I'd like the biz to nearly run itself some day and the family can enjoy the profits.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom