Will your Kids become a Carpet Cleaner?

rick imby

Name
Rick
I have had a Bicycle shop since 1980. I have just sold it to my youngest child who just graduated from college. I too am quite proud of my children, I have three totally different children.

The carpet cleaning industry is a lot like the bicycle industry because it is dominated by family owned businesses.

The joy of turning things over to your children knowing that they have developed more skills than I...

I strongly believe my son will be a better business manager in time than I was.

Rick

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
I worked with my Dad from the time i was about 10 yrs old, and i just worked, dont think i ever bitched or whinned about it much...maybe because i thought it was just expected of me.. At 16 we had a huge fight and i was going to go work at a food joint...(till they told me i had to cut my hair!!! :x :x :shock: :shock:) decided working with dad was ok..

Never went to college. Never wanted to...why pay for something i hate????

Used working on my own as a crutch for years at school, everytime i argued with a teacher. (now i wished i payed more attention in some of them classes)

Now i have taken my 11 yr old son with me to work..he is interested in making money, but the actual work ethic..ehhhhh problem is i havent figured out how to get it to him, with out always arguing over it. He is no where near where i was at 11..

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I have 2 girls and my wife has 4 girls. One of my girls is single but the other 5 are married. 4 of the son in laws and one grandson in law all have started their own carpet cleaning businesses, some with about 20 years in cleaning now. They are all in Northern California running Powermatics. So 6 of us all together. 4 have 10 foot box vans. You can see them here: http://www.northlandakitas.com/delta/images/header.jpg

BTW, the one son in law that is not in carpet cleaning makes more than all of us put together.

BUSY BEE

My ten year old boy is into it for about 5 minutes then loses interest. When I'm messing around with stone in my garage, he's all over me with questions and wanting to help. I think he's gonna be a stone restorer. Whatever's gonna make him happy is all that matters.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I have a 14 yr old girl. She wants to help me this summer to make some money. It'll be interesting to see how she does. Hard enough getting her to do the house chores let alone getting her to be meticulous in someone else's house. I don't usually take a break when I'm working, like to bulldog it through. Plenty of time to rest when the work is done. Can rest in the truck when driving to the next job.

G

My son is in college; and will be a pharmacist in about 4 years after 3 years of school so far. He does work with me sometimes when he needs extra money. Other than that He knows he doesn't want to do what I do for a living.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
I started a carpet cleaning business with my father while I was still in high school. Worked with dad until he hired my brother and brother in-law, we got payed commission on the work that we did. They could not understand why I made more money than they did. (duh!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:). I left and went on my own and have done well. My oldest son 27 yrs old tried carpet cleaning but does not have the temperament to finish what he starts. My youngest son, 25 yrs old is CFO of a manufacturing company in Indiana. I told him last year if he came back, I would give him 50% ownership. He worked for me through college and did a great job. Will have to wait to see if this will work for him. My daughter has worked on the truck mostly because her brothers did and realized she would rather go to college to be a personal trainer. She is going to college in southern California and loves the weather. Don't think she will be back :wink:. I hope they all find a job they love, and enjoy what ever they do.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I started cleaning in Highschool at nights, never thought I would take to it until after high school, then I was kind of wedged into it full-time and found out I liked it.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Zack will be a MLB Player then a Doctor
Brady will be a NFL Player then a Lawyer teaching in Law School

Both Hall of Fame Players in their respected sports

I started the business for my son Alex

-JB-

Name
JB
Started taking my son out w/me when he was 15, on Saturday jobs to get his feet wet, much to my surprise custys loved having him there and he turned out to be the easiest employee I've ever trained.
When I got "BIG" he would still do Sat's and come in every night for cleanup/restock duties, and always did a smash up job. He graduated early from High School and worked w/me till he went off to college, admittedly at his mothers prodding. After working on the truck full time for 6 mo., it became real apparent to me, him and sadly a few custys, that he did NOT want to do this for the rest of his life.
When he came home for Christmas break, he asked if I had work for him, and we talked, he knew it wasn't a good idea, so he found other part-time work.When he finished his freshman year, he found a paying internship for the summer, makes good money for 19, and works like 60 hours a week, also says it doesn't even feel like work. He loves it. I'm happy for him, and a little jealous, in a good way.

My daughter? Have you ever lived w/a 14 yr old girl? God only knows. :roll:

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Although in there younger days they came with Dad. A learned in there own ways to be very complete cleaners. No.

Joesph is currently at a symposium in Basel-Switzerland .He will be in Europe throughout the summer.Attending classes and interning at 4 different Museums.

An Autumn will be graduating as a R.N. from the Elms.

An I wil be overseeing as usual ops here...Great post...

Chris A

Name
Chris
Matt Murdock said:
Zack will be a MLB Player then a Doctor
Brady will be a NFL Player then a Lawyer teaching in Law School

Both Hall of Fame Players in their respected sports

I started the business for my son Alex

I just hope my kids won't live in my house til their 40! :lol:

Name
Lee Stockwell
My son Jason came in from his home in Nicaragua for a few weeks to see family and friends. He's doing a huge cleaning job this week that should help keep in in Nicaragua for at least another year doing volunteer work.

Very proud of him and his family (wife Neysha, and kids Simon and Sienna).

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Just a Daughter right now...thinking of having another kid...maybe.

She won't be a "carpet cleaner" if I have anything to do with it.
Business owner is much better.

Although, she wants to be a Zoologist....and that's fine with me as long as she love doing it.

jeff powell

I've had all my kids work with me. As i did with my dad. my kids all do excellent work. last week my seven year old went with my to a property management job. He buffed (175ed) the place. I saw Mikey P. after the job while we were dumping waste tanks at a local carwash. Mikey asked josh what he did at the cleaning job. my 7 year old told Mikey he had buffed it.
I think Mikey might have been a little jealous of my help. As for them staying with or joining me in the cleaning business. I third what Adam said.

Jeff Powell

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Maybe a salesman. I have taken my 9 y/o on a couple of jobs this summer.

Today, he got me an estimate at a house about 8 doors down from us. A 5000+ sq ft house. Went on the estimate and booked 2200 sq ft tile job, clean and seal. The best part - there is about 15,000 sq ft of pavers that need some major help. Will hopefully close that tomorrow. I think he earned his first commission check!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom