work for the rich..

Chris A

Name
Chris
I don't think it's as cut and dried as that , but I think there's some truth there.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
We just "worked" and tried to leave every single client delighted with both the job and our employees as people. Worked for me. (I think sometimes we over-complicate" things.)

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS I did learn to not judge the client by the size/value of their home. There are a lot of "stealth rich people" in this country.

Reactions: Ken Snow
Name
Jesse
I certainly live with the classes but I eat alone. I think you can be successful either way if your smart about it. In fact I think being to close to the middle might be harder than being moderately high end or at the threshold of affordable.

I always wonder about the people who have had great success but still prefer not to show it and mingle with the average Joe's. I have 2 particular friends worth over 30mil. One lives in a $5m home, several six figure cars, and lives like a rock star, most people would be envious. His business is based on volume and low margins. The other drives a prius, has a 100k condo, and does the dollar menu. He make his money in 5-7 figure deals. There both equally happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Impossible to even know these days, we had a local distributor with $20 mill sales or something just blow up one day out of nowhere.

Thought for sure that guy was rich...

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
I have 2 particular friends worth over 30mil. One lives in a $5m home, several six figure cars, and lives like a rock star, most people would be envious. His business is based on volume and low margins. The other drives a prius, has a 100k condo, and does the dollar menu. He make his money in 5-7 figure deals. There both equally happy.
My guess (and it is only a guess) is your second friend who chooses to have a non-conspicuous lifestyle is "happier". But then "happiness" is a subjective state of mind anyway.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon

PS IMHO you can carry the "modest life style" too far. In fact, looking back on it I was "frugal" (well, actually CHEAP would be a better word for it) for far too long after we had made our money. Old habits are hard to break. Now whatever Sioux wants she gets... (Fortunately she doesn't "want" much. After all, she is happy with me!)

Last edited:
Name
Jesse
Your right Steve, I should have said appear equally happy.

Sometimes I'm shocked by other peoples (especially my employees) opinions on what my lifestyle or worth might be like. People!

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
My grandmother who grew up in the Great Depression and never had more than $100 in her bank account her entire life ( died at 89) taught me this:

"Money doesn't define a man, the way he treats others does"
"Work hard play hard and Never judge a book by its cover"
"Those that don't enjoy success will always hate on those that do"
"Your definition of success and my definition vary significantly; come brag to me when you are a Billionaire- until then hush up and fetch me my cane" - that's my favorite! :)

Happy Holidays!

Connor

Name
Connor
The cost of contentment is a a fascinating thing. It's worth what you say it's worth, but some still cannot afford it.

I always wonder about the people who have had great
success but still prefer not to show it and mingle with the average Joe's. I have 2 particular friends worth over 30mil. One lives in a $5m home, several six figure cars, and lives like a rock star, most people would be envious. His business is based on volume and low margins. The other drives a prius, has a 100k condo, and does the dollar menu. He make his money in 5-7 figure deals. There both equally happy.

This isn't a criticism of you, but an example of how different people view "success" and what they consider to be an example of it. I think each one's stability in choosing their lifestyle are equal showings of success.

In my opinion, being an "average joe" is more of a state of mind, than a figure of income.

Name
Jesse
In my opinion, being an "average joe" is more of a state of mind, than a figure of income.

True but there are many less "joe's" as you look up the income/wealth ladder, although were not defining terms. The ability to choose ones lifestyle is a good way to look at it but obviously there's exceptions. Most of us want more. More money, power, control of our life and if you have a worth of 7 figures or greater, even 6 to some, then I think it becomes harder to convince most others that your unsuccessful even if your failing to control your lifestyle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom