Working with family members... Would you?

Working with family members... Would you?

• Total voters

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I might Hire a family member but I put None of the above because I know it's not right. I would only do it to help the family member...and that might not be right either.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
Carpet cleaning is kind of a family business. I work for my parents who own the shop and my brother owns a carpet cleaning company that I do part time work for. It can be tough sometimes working with family but we manage.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I have worked for family (my father) and hired family members (wife, son, daughter, brother, cousins). Both worked out well with clear expectations of what should be done.

I would not want to be in a partnership. There was no choice for 2 out of 3 so, I voted for work for.

Scott Warrington

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
When they are on board they can be your greatest asset, when working against the system they an incredible detriment that lowers moral of your other employees!

I work for my father, with my brothers and sister, nephews and cousin. There have been times when aunts, uncles worked here also.

Like Scott as long as they know where they stand I wouldn't have a problem with them.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I'd hire (and have) family members before.

The only one that worked full time was my son.

he wasn't a great CCing tech. Acceptable at "best" is all. He just didn't pay enough attention to detail for my tastes.
But he had/has great "people skills" and was/is an EXCELLENT manager.
Great origination skills, always on top of what needed done, managed resources/manpower well and kicked ME in the azz to stay on top of my procrastinating ways.
He excelled at working and running the rehab ops

A better position than I could offer came his way.
We discussed it and agreed it was in his best interest to accept.
(project manager for a development Co.)
He's excelled at that position too and my guess is, he'll be the dept head when his boss retires in a few years

We've discussed future biz ventures together.
If the time comes that he's serious about making a move, I wouldn't hesitate to give serious though of a partnership with him

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
relatives suck.....

when you hire them...you get their wives...kids...and all the OTHER baggage you hate at Thanksgiving dinner.......

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Its a great idea...

Eventually you won't have to buy near the amount of holiday, graduation, or anniversary gifts, nor will you have to go to as many (if any) family get togethers or functions.

It saves a great deal of time and money in the long haul....

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
To be fair, my father has been very tolerant of his son! Probably more than he should have been.

I think the most difficult issue is keeping expectations reasonable and finding some way to keep your personal relationships separate from your business relationships with family.

Easy to say; hard to do in practice.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
As usual Scott makes the point: With clear expectations.

I've had my son work with me, currently have a nephew working with me, and have had a few friends work here as well. I had to tell one of my friends that if we couldn't find a way to get him on track with what we needed from him I'd have to fire him. He got it together and continued working here for several more years, only leaving with a change of address. What I learned working with a troublesome friend has been the basis for working with "problem" employees ever since.

John Watson

I started commercial fishing with a relative at 8 yrs old, fished salmon with him till I was 17, then went to work on someone elses boat a non relative. I thought I hated my second cousin for the way he treated me compared to the rest of the crew. When I got I my own I really appreciated what he did. (He also taught me how to swim, threw me over in the gulf of Alaska, it was either sink or swim period.) I had my younger brothers on my boat and fish sites with me. My son Jay was 7 and he chopped and filled the bait jars while we were crab fiahing, His mom Helen taught both him and christy Home corespondence schooling.

In 1980 when I got into this buisness, I hired nieces, nephews, brothers, wife any thing for a warm body when we were doing 250,000 a year in sewage back ups.

in 87 here in the lower 48, Jay, my son would help with evening jobs and on the week ends.
he went to work at McDonalds was there for 5 years in mid management. Went back to work for us for 13 years, Our daughter Christy worked for us for 6-7 years. We have had inlaws and and other relatives work for us through out our years in business and they have saved our butt or so we thought time after time.

For the past 6 years it has mainly been Helen and I, I am sure glad she hasen't fired me as of yet.....

Bob Foster

So Lisa, who wins most of the arguments? You or Jeff?...
Big-Fight.jpg

Ernie G

My Wife& I have worked together for over 33 yrs.- been married for almost 36 yrs.& have some how made it work. It has not always been easy, but we have common goals& we try to stay on the same page.Its not for everyone, but we make it work.

G

I agree with Bob on this one!! Hired a nephew once; he worked well; but all he did was complain!!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ok, I have to change on one thing. Working with the wife is not a bad idea other than the whole divorce thing.
You are already in a partnership (marriage) so you might as well make the best of it.
If you are a one truck O/O the wifey can answer your phones and maybe some office work...depending on who is more competent.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Funny,
My little brother just moved out here from Florida and he is gonna work with me. The last heavy flood totaled the mobile home. The only carpet cleaning he has ever done is Chem-Dry. This should be interested.
I know I said I wasn't crazy about the family thing.
I waffle more than Obama.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom