WORX Hydroshot or IPS?

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
It is raining here, I can't do range or pattern tests on the driveway. But here are a few observations:

IPS: Hard plastic case. Many tiny bits.
Worx: Mesh bag. Three parts.

IPS: 2 NiCad batteries (one died already in four months).
Worx: 1 Lithium ion battery, (second one is $49).

IPS: Smallish, shoulder sling, must assemble and disassemble every. Single. Time. Fragile.
Worx: Larger (drill size) no sling, can be left asembled. Sturdy.

IPS: Choice of plastic tips, straight, flood, two 60-degree tips.
Worx: Selectable spray head, Straight stream-45 through increments, shower.

IPS: Quiet pump, steady flow stream.
Worx: chug-chug sounds like a tiny model T being cranked. Steady flow.

IPS: Draws through a 1/4" clear vinyl hose. Hose is pushed onto a barbed nipple in the base of the handle. Hose can tug loose at awkward moments. This is my biggest gripe on IPS.
Worx: Draws through a 3/8" fiber reinforced vinyl hose. Hose comes with plastic quick disconnect end and is sturdy.

IPS: Long hose allows good movement in an area.
Worx: Hose is 9' shorter and I pulled it out of the bucket several times until I adjusted my habits.

IPS: Hose pickup filter is brass and fits into any gallon jug. No retaining clip to hold it in place. Feeds from bottom, drains container to the last drop.
Worx: Hose pickup filter is plastic, feeds from sides and bottom, cannot drain below 1" of container bottom. This is my biggest gripe on Worx.

IPS: One pressure only, battery life up to four hours before recharge. Flow rate varies by trigger pull, a nice feature. NiCads must be deep cycled or they develop lazy memory.
Worx: Selectable two pressures, 45 minutes claimed at higher. I have not run it down, but Lithium ion batteries deliver full strength until they suddenly cut off. 5-hour full recharge, BUT you can keep them topped off without developing lazy memory. I have a cigarette adapter to deliver voltage when needed, so no problem recharging while driving.

When comparing, you must bear in mind that the IPS is purpose built for applying chemicals. The Worx is purpose built as a portable compact pressurized washer (although it delivers at best a vigorous spray not "pressure washing").
They are two different tools, not a variation of the same intent. You can order IPS with Viton seals (upcharge) but at present the Worx has only standard rubber seals.

More later.

Last edited:

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
IMG_0182.JPG
IMG_0183.JPG
Use comparison. There are lots and lots of sprayers and each of us uses our own variation of tools. So this review represents my own biased need for flexibilty and overall ease of use. I do not need or own a Hydroforce and have moved from backpack sprayers to the cordless. I also use quart squirt sprayers for specific chemicals. Your mileage may vary.

I tested the IPS at about a half charge with the Worx At half charge. The Worx battery has a built in led guage to tell you how full it is. The IPS I just guessed.

I wanted to know two things; which sprayer lays down fluid faster and which sprayer shoots farther?

As I wrote before, the Worx was designed for washing and so it has two pressure settings. It also has a pickup filter that needs an inch of fluid to be submerged. So I used the lower setting, to best compare the two. I then prefilled a five gallon bucket to just over the filter, then added one full gallon of water from a jug.

I filled the gallon jug again and put the hoses in each, respectively. I put the larger (blue) tip on the IPS and set the Worx to its widest spray, 40 degrees. I wanted to simulate prespraying carpet.

Squeezing the triggers simultaneously, my helper and I learned that the IPS primes itself (longer tube, smaller diameter) first. When the Worx was primed, We then squeezed both triggers and held them until one had emptied its gallon and hose, to see which was putting out more liquid.

To my surprise, the IPS won. I measured the remaining water and found the Worx had two cups in the bucket (above the filter) and whatever was in the hose.

My helper and I both thought the IPS put out a more fine spray (60 degrees) than the Worx, which is a bit splattery. The difference would matter to me when treating ceilings or upholstery, but not for carpet.

We then switched to straight stream. We refilled the bottles and holdig the sprayers side by side and parallel, shot them to see which sprayed farther.

There is no question that at high setting, the Worx sprays harder. But the IPS stream stayed together farther while the Worx began to fray and break up soon out of the nozzle. End result is that they both shoot the same distance!
This would only matter if like me you wash windows. At close range, the extra pressure of the Worx could help flush off equipment, grass clippings and so on.

So which sprayer is "The Best"?

They weigh about the same and feel solid.

Fully equipped with two batteries, the Worx is about $180.

Fully equipped with two batteries and viton seals, the IPS is about $250.

For grab n go, rugged and foolproof, the Worx is clearly more convenient, but MUST be given a better pickup filter that sucks fluid to the bottom of a bucket. Longer hose would be nice. A short pickup tube can be made if you copy the factory one. Easy fixes.
What is really nice for carpet cleaners is the 0-40 degree adjustable spray head. Want to snipe spots? 0 or 15 degrees. Want to lay down a juicy prespray? 40 degrees, right there and no small bits to lose!
What really stinks for carpet cleaners is that you are (somewhat) limited on permissible fluids. For encappers, no problem.

For versatility and precision in cleaning, the IPS offers angled tips and longer reach, but very limited spray options, straight stream and wide angle.
The IPS comes in a nice but tight case, requiring full assembly and disassembly unless you build some rack in your truck. The IPS has two pickup tubes, a short one for carrying, a long one for doing rooms.
What really stinks is that you have to fiddle with the IPS so much, but then again you can pump nearly anything but hot solvents.

Encappers, the Worx with new pickup filter.

Broad spectrum use, the IPS and bring your wallet and time assembling and disassembling.

I hope this will help you decide.

Last edited:

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
At $129 it's not too tremendous of an expenditure. If the sprayer lasts several hundred-thousand square feet and then a seal fails, it's safe to say that it's paid for itself, many times over. Time will tell, but I think it's safe to venture - if you'll use it with midrange pH products and rinse it out after each use, you should get a good bang for the buck. :)

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Send one to Damon

If it lasts a month, that's ten years for the rest of us

UPDATE

Yesterday's tests were done with the short lance and frankly, I was wondering where all the pressure was.

Today I tried the long lance and holy smokes! This thing is a fist sized beast! All of a sudden it becomes useful in other ways.

I have no idea why the longer lance seems to triple the power, unless it is a larger reservoir dowstream of the pump. But it would be entirely up to blasting the mud off your ATV after a run, or spraying a room from the doorway, or spraying insecticide around the eaves of your home. I liked it before, suddenly I LOVE it.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I like the idea of it. I think I would cut the hose short and modify one of my 2 1/2 gallon jugs that I use for the Sprayborg. Just put a fitting through the cap and a hose with a weighted filter dropping into the jug. Easy to hold the jug in one hand and spray with the other like a hydro-force. 2 1/2 gallons will go a long way. The cap will fit any other similar jug so if you want switch what your spraying, simply rinse the sprayer and put the cap on another jug.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
UPDATE

Yesterday's tests were done with the short lance and frankly, I was wondering where all the pressure was.

Today I tried the long lance and holy smokes! This thing is a fist sized beast! All of a sudden it becomes useful in other ways.

I have no idea why the longer lance seems to triple the power, unless it is a larger reservoir dowstream of the pump. But it would be entirely up to blasting the mud off your ATV after a run, or spraying a room from the doorway, or spraying insecticide around the eaves of your home. I liked it before, suddenly I LOVE it.

I would've thought you had already tried it with the long lance. It really is the bomb with the long lance!

Reactions: Old Coastie

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I would've thought you had already tried it with the long lance. It really is the bomb with the long lance!

I just now used it to spray insecticide around the house and lay a barrier on the grass. Seams, porch, under the deck, eaves, the whole shebang in 15 minutes with enough left over to dose a few fire ant mounds at the edge of my property. Straight stream, it sliced them top to bottom, so the queen dies.

I really like the IPS and will use it for any application of protectant or sealer because of the fine, even spray. I highly recommend it.

But I am also beyond delighted to have the Worx too, for the simplicity and brute power in a cordless. Next I plan to treat my trees for mosquitos.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom