Would you...

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Kunkle a brand new truckmount? Or wait till the warranty is up? My Maxx470 is going to be installed in a week or two, and I want to tweak it some. 2.5" hose, etc.

T

The Magician

What Greenie said using a good 2" wand & glide. Congrats with the new machine. Your going to like the heat and vac, Good depenable machine.

G

Check with manufacture. Or you may end up posting on boards that they wont cover your warranty.

T

The Magician

Relief valve. Scroll up to Geenie and click on his site. Then go to high performance.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Greenie said:
Do the hose mod first, kunkle later.

Yes, I am very happy to be getting a new machine. You can only tweak so much performance out of an aircooled machine. Now, I had my spitfire for almost 6 years, and I made about 791,000 with that machine. I would say it paid for itself happily. But, the more you clean carpets, and especially when you start hiring employees like I have, then I can't expect them to know my machine like I do. It's time for something more reliable, and water cooled. I will never buy aircooled again. Just not enough btu's imho.

So, 2.5" mod it is and kunkle later.

G

Kevin try the free flow , works better than kunkle and costs about 15.00

Greenie

With all due respect to Nick, I'm sure many here were FreeFlowing before Nick lay claim to it, it is not better than a kunkle.

I stumbled upon free flow vac relief on my own by complete accident when I was trying to drive a 47 blower with a tired 25hp air-cooled motor.

It wouldn't handle the 14"hg kunkle over a sustained period, it would bog the motor at that lift level. So I introduced a constant controled leak with the old spring relief by blocking off one or two of the holes, it would start to open about 11"hg and be a steady leak at about 12.5"hg and she would whirl away pretty steady at that point around 3200 rpms. That is as pretty close to FreeFlow as you can get.

It was not a preferred environment, it was a survival environment from an under powered system that should of had a 27+hp powerplant as a minimum, not a 25hp.

Given adequate HP to blower ratio, a precision vacuum relief that is 100% closed up until the break point, will out perfrom a slow constant air leak in a given system. You can't beat having 100% of the vacuum at your disposal.

Glynn

I contacted HM and ended up putting 2 x bayco's on 2 x new Maxx470's.
I'd do it, with their approval, you wont regret it. I can show you the perfect place to fit it too and in minutes.

Your going to love the heat off the 470. Its one hot machine and it sucks like a bitch.

G

Well I disagree with greenie. What you describe greenie is close but not right on. With free flow you get better vacuum and better air flow at the wand . The machine can handle 15 hg no problem. If you do not believe me ask J delaughter he just put it on his machine. This plain and simple system will out perform kunkle or bayco. One could say a 18 hp engine is not sufficient enough to turn a 45 blower at 3550 rpms at 15 hg. the free flow lets you do it. What you want is something that increases performance and this increases performance. Just like adding headers or a bigger carb to an engine.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
I don't want in this pissin match! I changed to nick's "system" and It works better then my old spring relief valve. I have never run or used a machine with a kunkle or bayco valve but from everything written they work fine. My vac has increased and the wand grips the carpet better, that's all I know. I did not have the money to spend on a kunkle so I tried "free flow" and it worked better than what I had. Try it for yourself and if there is no gain then switch back to your old vac relief system its only a few dollars. Kunkle, free flow, bayco, spring relief, use what ever you want and be happy with it, whatever floats your boat. And yes I am a BDCC. Tryin to the best with what the good lord gave me is all I'm doing. Thank you Very much to all that have helped me (Greenie & Lisa, Nick, Ricky G, Big John G, and Mikey P and his board, and Dave Stover too).

Mister Sir Hack-a-Lot BDCC Extroidinaire

P.S. Dave Stover upgraded his blower and went free flow and he can tell the difference(45 blower upgrade, larger "silencer" 2.5" muffler, and free flow set at 15hg on the carpet) 8)

T

The Magician

Glynn, can you show me where to install the kunkle valve, thanks.
The magician

Now you see it.......But Where?

Glynn

baycovalveue1.jpg
[/url][/img]

Glynn

There ! sussed out how to post a pic.

As you can see, the valve is in direct downstream to the blower. This is the best place on a hydramaster barr none for a kunkle or bayco valve.

All you need is a threaded collar
(exactly like the ones on the inside of the waste tank lid / holding the vac barbs on)

1) Remove tank lid.
2) Remove blower filter.
3) Place some rags in hole to catch swarf.
4) Drill a 2" hole (in the right place) so youve enough room for the threaded collar !.
5) Put new valve into hole and put rubber washer on and fit/tighten plastic collar.
6) REMOVE RAGS !!!
7) Fully tighten up original relief valve.
8) Refit filter & lid.

Thats it.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Love the new word I just learned...Swarf...

Got no idea what it is,i can reckon but...

It just sounds great..

Hey wipe the swarf up,willya...

why not do what i do, get rid of any relief in the system. about a buck is what it costs. i had the relief on the tank, covered it with a 4 inch sink drain stopper, perfect seal, taped in on with some good old dust tape. i do like to create about 3/4" leak when doing upholstery. most of us use teflon so, even more reason to eliminate vac relief anywheres but the wand

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
My swarf started with an s and ends with a t...

But now it is swarf,sounds more professional in a home...

Wipe up that swarf right there...

Ah,yes maam that is a lot of swarf,but it will remove easily enough...

Oh??? as she strolls away wondering what swarf is...

I can picture the scenario now...

Hunny ,look Caesar removed all that nasty Swarf !

Really we had a lot of swarf ,HUH?...lol...

Greenie, i was just trying to get a good read on that today. when i block off the hose with my hand it gets up to 19 pretty quickly. i have watched it climb to 18 a little bit slower on a regular type of job. i think to get lift you multiply by 13.8 so, close to 250

Greenie

"i have watched it climb to 18 a little bit slower on a regular type of job"

Are you keeping an eye on the blower heat, she could be setting you up for a premature seal failure.

At least with a kunkle set at 16"hg, you would get all the 16 and no chance of exceeding it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom