Xentherm heat

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
My xentherm heat never gets over 280. I thought that was normal. My plunger, actuator, thing that diverts the exhaust from the tail pipe though the xentherm heat exchangers was leaking and would not divert. Chuck from Blueline overnighted ( its a UD part not Vortex part) me the part and I put it on. My xentherm will now go 330 if I let it. I have more heat and it heats faster.

When I took it apart I found the actuator was screwed into the lever so much it would not pull it all the way back, causing some of the heat to go out the tail pipe. (I think some AT guy was laughing his butt off when he screwed it in.) Don't tell me they didn't spent a little more time on their own trucks than on Shawns stuff. Maybe I am wrong.

I have a real flame thrower now!!!!

I have my xentherm set at 325. What do you guys set your at?

Mikey P

Administrator
I only need to set mine to 300º to get all the heat I want..

330º will cause you leaks in the Zen plumbing down the road.

Mikey P

Administrator
Steve do you have any idea how many ATs have been sold with the water HX?

I bet it's under 30 and it may be too soon to really know...

Call Smackass and see if he knows.

Greenie

330º anything would worry me, especially when you consider lifespan of components, this is one area where HX/LP hybrids excel.

In fact that is one thing I'm still not sure about on the AT water only machines, because they lack the heat limiting properties of the oil, they can achieve a higher temp.

If something is allowed to Reach super hot temps, it just complicates the component issue further.

If I was running an AT machine, I would probably limit it to 300º, with these big systems you don't need higher heat you need a larger supply of heated water to draw from.

So now the million dollar question: What are the "water" capacities in gallons of each HX system, excluding the fresh tanks?
Shawn?
Vladimir?

Mikey P

Administrator
Good question...

On both units there are three HX tubes full of water.

I would advise Thom to keep up on the trends.

Higher flow is going to disappoint V owners looking to get flames form their 012 wands.

A second or larger Zen tube and possibly more insulation on the Glycol and exhaust would help as well.

The Wizard

Adam:

When your Zentherm shows 330 degrees what does your actual cleaning water temperature gauge read?

At what temperature on the cleaning water temperature gauge can your machine hold steady and sure at?

Thanks

The Wizard.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Wiz

That all depends on how high the PSI, if we are dualing an empty house with very little vac passes or a home where we are drying it as we go and are making lots of vac passes.

Normally, when we are dual wanding with are TIs flowing #9s we now stay about 220-230, the xentherm is set to 310. Before with my old actuator we would get 190-200 and it would not heat up very fast. The new actuator heats my xentherm up lot faster. One wand and the water can get 260. That is just too hot!! But most of the time its under 240.

G

Ian,

Your truck is different. When you set your temperature, it will be accurate. The newer Vortex's don't set that way.

Dave

The Wizard

Hi Dave:

Thanks for the info. I was asking about this in reference to Billy's new model 7000, as to what Billy should expect to achieve compared to say what Adam is experiencing after running his new Vortex for the past many months.

Your old truck is running real well for us. We are really enjoying it. Great heat all of the time. Jamie has a bunch of burn scars from the great heat your old faithful gives off.

So how are things? From you posts you seem to be quite busy, that's great.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Take care.

The Wizard.

G

Hi Ian,

I'm glad the truck has been good to you. I see from your other post you replaced the cat pump. What was wrong with it? We are having a record year. These last 4 months have been unreal.

Dave

The Wizard

One of the bearing caps on the connecting rod inside the pump gave way. See the pictures below.

IMG_3607.jpg

IMG_3609.jpg

Greenie

Everyone should have lots of pictures.

Every time I see a 777 I am reminded how sweet that pump blower set up is, much better for space usage.

tech note: If your machine can sustain 260-300 degrees, do not use fiber wrapped thermo-plastic 230 degree rated hose. Or if you do, use it at your own risk.

G

I was curious if it was the DI water causing a problem with the pump head since they say it destroys brass. How many hours did you get out of the pump?

Does anyone know how many hours a cat pump should last before repairs?

Dave

G

I realize that Greenie. I was saying that's why I originally asked and wanted to know how many hours the pump has now.

Dave

The Wizard

The pump had about 2600 hours on it, at the time it went.

In speaking with Shawn, he expressed to me that the pumps usually go around 5400 hours. I don't think it had anything to do with you running Di water in it Dave, it's just one of those things that can break and it did for what ever reason.

All is good now.

The Wizard.

Greenie

The pressure washing industry doesn't champion Cat like the carpet cleaners do, you see a lot of General pumps, I especially liked the emperor series, better price too.

Jim Bethel

Name
Jim Bethel
Hey Greenie,

If I can ask, what do you like about the Emperor series? I don't know that much about the General brand, as CAT is the major brand over here in Oz.

The reason I was asking is that we are just about to receive and trial the new PowerClean Liberty over here, and they have dropped that CAT pump this time around and gone with the General Emperor series pump. It is supposed to be able to run dry without problems. But I would like your opinion Greenie.

Jim

Name
Lee Stockwell
I noticed the Cat pump in the picture was made in Japan...I didn't know that before.

When I get back to the shop tomorrow I'll have to look more closely at some of ours.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jim;

We are running some of the Emperor pumps by General.

I think they are the best pump for a carpet cleaning TM.

They have several improvements:

1. Nickel-plated head for durability
2. Teflon-Graphite run-dry plunger seals
3. High Temperature Inlet & Outlet Valves

Number 2 & 3 increase the heat that all pumps generate in long bypass and dry run.

Larry Cobb
Mikey Board Supporting Member

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom