You know what's ugly?

Bob Foster

A nice area rug placed on a carpet. Yuk!

They should be placed on a hard surface.

What's even more hideous is seeing a room with wall to wall broadloom with a bunch of small area rugs peppered all over it.

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
I agree Bob, I think the small rugs are used kinda like floor mats in a car. I see it more in older peoples homes they let em get dirty throw them in the washer and start all over. I have never understood the logic behind a rug on carpet unless it's hidding something.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I don't know why you feel that way Bob, I totally disagree. I have 2x4, 3x5, 4x4 &/or 5x7 rugs in every room of my condo and most of it is carpeted except for foyer, kitchen and bathrooms. I love rugs over carpet as well as over my wood and tile.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Bob Foster

Ken Snow said:
I don't know why you feel that way Bob, I totally disagree. I have 2x4, 3x5, 4x4 &/or 5x7 rugs in every room of my condo and most of it is carpeted except for foyer, kitchen and bathrooms. I love rugs over carpet as well as over my wood and tile.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I just think it takes away from the look of the rugs Ken and its also redundant to the purpose of the rug itself. Some places looks way way worse than others.

Pictures tomorrow.

F

FB7777

I suppose if it's not tastefully done Bob

I have customers that have heirlooms and other expensive rugs over light colored wall to wall

Like Ron said, their is more opportunity for work... You don't have to like it but it's all cleanable :mrgreen:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
When old people move to their old people apartments they bring their art works and their rugs and furniture. They try to maintain some sort of hold to their past and a beautiful rug can spruce up a dreary depressing carpeted room.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Area rugs over wall-to-wall sisal or other very low nap carpet can look pretty good. Over plush it usually looks pretty mobile home.

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
I can't tell you how many times I have seen dye transfer from the border of a rug onto carpet and to date have never been able to remove much of it.

Bob Foster

RGH269 said:
I can't tell you how many times I have seen dye transfer from the border of a rug onto carpet and to date have never been able to remove much of it.

I'll show you one tonight.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
it works fine for some types of carpet but area rugs weren't meant to go over carpet with all the issues moving, buckling, rippling, tearing, color transfer tripping hazzards.

We stopped selling pads for rug on rug applications about 5 years ago best thing I ever did!

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I disagree randy and we sell 10's of thousands of dollars worth a year for rugs over carpet and hundreds of thousands a year for rugs over hard urface. Rugs often move on any surface- the ones I have that move the most are on my wood flors ad tile not the ones over capret though they move some too.

Rug Pad sales just from our rug cleaning operation were $193,827.34 in 2011. We lots more in our shorooms as part of new rug sales.

Rugs beautify a room.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Ken Snow said:
I disagree randy and we sell 10's of thousands of dollars worth a year for rugs over carpet and hundreds of thousands a year for rugs over hard urface. Rugs often move on any surface- the ones I have that move the most are on my wood flors ad tile not the ones over capret though they move some too.

Rug Pad sales just from our rug cleaning operation were $193,827.34 in 2011. We lots more in our shorooms as part of new rug sales.

Rugs beautify a room.

Ken, what you sell and the original intended purpose are two different things. Point is broadloom wasn't created for area rugs to cover their use is ancillary. I agree rugs move can move on any surface.

Do rugs on carpet looks good yes, sometimes. Do rugs stay in place on carpet yes, sometimes. Are really nice rugs damaged on carpet yes, sometimes

193K in pad! I figured you guys would sell more pad than that my little one location 4 person Podunk company did 52K last year in pad!

Bob Foster

I counted over 35 rugs in this home that I saw and there were more in other rooms that I wasn't in. Most all of them to be cleaned over the next two years.

Wool and silk

Water damage from a plant pot
print2.jpg

printer.jpg

rugprinter.jpg

printerback.jpg

Dry crocking from a Moroccan.
moroccrock2.jpg

morocprayer.jpg

morocbleeder.jpg

moroccu.jpg

morocfringe.jpg

morocbackfringe.jpg

hallrug.jpg

lowerkitchen.jpg

lowerfamilyroom.jpg

persian.jpg

brrug.jpg

Bob Foster

rhyde said:
LOL....WOW!

looks to me like something other than a simple transfer is going on there ?

I questioned that.

I am suspecting that the rugs were put back down too soon after carpet cleaning and that the carpet cleaning was done with a splash and dash one-step process with a high pH.

They had no idea. Second time in 10 years the carpets have been cleaned. None of the rugs have every been washed since they were personally purchased in markets by the owners who worked extensively overseas.

This might account of a higher incidence of bleeds and crocking. The rugs never went through too many middle men where some of the middle men might have not selected these rugs for problems. The workmanship on several are excellent.

Beautiful Persian in the dining room and a very unevenly faded one with a vacuum abused fringe in the living room.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Burn the Moroccan. Or let the customer know that it isn't a rug. Of course if they'd thrown it over the couch the discoloration would be even more difficult to remove.

I've said this before, but one the most effective ways to remove crocking from an area rug onto wall-to-wall carpet is with ammonia and really hot (as in temperature) detergent and water. If no one has tried anything first this usually works for me. The wet bleed is another story.

(If they had a rug over carpet pad the discoloration would have been on the pad.) :eek:)

Bob Foster

I was thinking that the Moroccan could actually be a prayer rug because there is no fringe on one end. Thanks for the ammonia tip.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I seem to recall them being used as doors in Morocco and Turkey. Like a Dhurrie, not built for walking upon.

Name
steve snail
Have low profile white plush cut pile carpet throughout my town-home. Rugs over carpet in just about every room, even have a small wool rug on top of a medium size silk rug in front of the fire place, a five thousand dollar sandwich! Have flat weaves on the walls as well. Do have hard wood floor in kitchen and foyer with a machine made wool rug under the kitchen table, everything else is hand knotted. Love em!

namaste

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom