You young bucks.............step up

Cameron1

Steve, Chris, Joey Daniel, and the rest of you studs:

What do you think of us ole geezers?

Where do you see yourself in five years?

Are you serious...or just passing time?

Do young take yourself serious or trying to get along?

can you take the industry to a new level?

Or......just giving lip service to the choir?

C

CleaningLA

633b1770-e5dd-74dd.jpg

I just turned 26 been doing this full time now for 2 years. This is my new set up went from a standard size 2500 chevy van. To my 2011 chevy box.
Love this biz... I'm very serious about it.
Started my flooring biz at 21 then added cleaning side two years ago and it's now 80% of my biz.

Cameron1

Outstanding!

I started at 19 years old. Learned everything the hard way.

Nice looking rig.

Wher ya heading?

C

CleaningLA

5 year plan is to be off the truck and have two full time trucks

Chris A

Name
Chris
Im closing in on my fourh year as owner, and my 5 year plan is two trucks, then Im not 100% sure. We've. (Stephanie and I) have built the biz from about 110k in 08 to what should be a bit over 200 this year. (These are not bragging numbers just what we've been able to do.) Id like to see two trucks at 400k total, then really decide where we want to go. I have this vision of a nice, casual 2 truck existance, whether that really exists I dunno...

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I tell ya like I told someone else...

I've come to the conclusion that things will happen when the time is right. I'm looking at buying a double wide modular home. I figure I can pay it off in 5 years or less, and have a home that is MINE. I have some land to stick it on if I can swing it. Live in it for a while, then eventually turn it into a rental. Its better than living in an apartment that you're paying into someone else's equity.

Build a nice big garage, heat it. Amanda will be out of school in another 1.5 years - medical assistant. That way I'll be able to finally do what I want. Some say I don't have the balls to go out on my own, but I do, its all about timing with me, and right now just isn't the time. I'm very intuitive, my gut never steers me wrong, and it just the feeling I've got. I've not listened to my gut before and the last year and a half is the result of it, no one else's fault but my own but had to learn the hard way.

So right now yes I'm just passing some time, doing several things to pay bills for a roof over my head, take care of my son, and do what I gotta do. I will say I have not completely left the industry, I still do industry related things aside from my work with Superior/The Olson's, and I've missed not doing those things.

In five years(less than that) I will have started a business. I won't have a mortgage because my home will be paid for, and I'll be able to invest more into the business... the rest is still being put together. I do have a good start on a systems and procedure manual, and employee handbook. Those things take forever to create, especially with my OCD.

You "ol geezers".... some I think are blowhards, but maybe because that's because I haven't been able to meet them yet. But there are a few that I've been able to meet and I can say the majority can put their money where their mouth is. But there are still couple I have met that grow a set of nuts behind a keyboard.

I have some ideas for the future that I think will better the industry. There are still a lot of needs that need to be met yet, and I hope to be able to contribute to those at a later date.

PS. Very nice looking rig, Fred, any pics of the inside or car to share the details ?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
so my question is.......

how big of family do you have???

Does your wife work as well???

There are some other questions to ask yourself besides the $$$ or biz ones....

I am not as big as some/most of you, but i probably see my wife and kids twice as much as most of you...

but thats just me...

and after reading this book http://www.amazon.com/Driven-Autobiogra ... 1606416561

reconfirmed some of my thoughts about it......makes me wish i had a little more....but happy i didnt loose what he did...

Able 1

Name
Keith
Hoody said:
I do have a good start on a systems and procedure manual, and employee handbook. Those things take forever to create, especially with my OCD.

I'll buy a copy when you have it finished... I need one BAD!!

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
we will comeback with a final number at around $600,000 this year for residentail and some commercial but will also do another 67-75 in rugs. we haven't done any marketing and am starting to dip into the pool again

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Hoody said:
I tell ya like I told someone else...

I've come to the conclusion that things will happen when the time is right. I'm looking at buying a double wide modular home. I figure I can pay it off in 5 years or less, and have a home that is MINE. I have some land to stick it on if I can swing it. Live in it for a while, then eventually turn it into a rental. Its better than living in an apartment that you're paying into someone else's equity.

Build a nice big garage, heat it. Amanda will be out of school in another 1.5 years - medical assistant. That way I'll be able to finally do what I want. Some say I don't have the balls to go out on my own, but I do, its all about timing with me, and right now just isn't the time. I'm very intuitive, my gut never steers me wrong, and it just the feeling I've got. I've not listened to my gut before and the last year and a half is the result of it, no one else's fault but my own but had to learn the hard way.

So right now yes I'm just passing some time, doing several things to pay bills for a roof over my head, take care of my son, and do what I gotta do. I will say I have not completely left the industry, I still do industry related things aside from my work with Superior/The Olson's, and I've missed not doing those things.

In five years(less than that) I will have started a business. I won't have a mortgage because my home will be paid for, and I'll be able to invest more into the business... the rest is still being put together. I do have a good start on a systems and procedure manual, and employee handbook. Those things take forever to create, especially with my OCD.

You "ol geezers".... some I think are blowhards, but maybe because that's because I haven't been able to meet them yet. But there are a few that I've been able to meet and I can say the majority can put their money where their mouth is. But there are still couple I have met that grow a set of nuts behind a keyboard.

I have some ideas for the future that I think will better the industry. There are still a lot of needs that need to be met yet, and I hope to be able to contribute to those at a later date.

PS. Very nice looking rig, Fred, any pics of the inside or car to share the details ?

Dink...don forget yor two shoe boxes..........

Cameron1

bob vawter said:
number ONE rule to be a carpet cleaner:
Make sure wife has a good job..............!
Yep....that's where I fook ed up.....she always wanted to work for me....imagine that.

Cameron1

CleaningLA said:
steve said:
Where ya getting your Thoughts?

This board? SFS ? piranha? Hp?

Boards and self determination.

As of now....where are you at in the pricing world and where is your market in terms of demographics ?

Usp?

Where is your sweet spot in the area of profit? At what price is it that you start making a decent profit.

are you amassing your client list now for future profit(this is the way I did it) or do you try to make the profit now.

Inquiring minds want to know.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Im 29 and started my business at 23. Somthing Iam learning is to make choices based on my business not everyone elses. I am friends with alot of the local cleaners and hear alot of differant opinions but at the end of the day I do what works for us. I am a master textile cleaner plus hold several other certifications in floor and tile care as well as fire and water. I have learned that quality of work and being a friendly guy have taken me a long way. I cant brag about impressive gross earnings because I only sit around 100k. However I am up 20%form last year and in addition to carpet cleaning I am building a growing base of customers for strip and wax. I do have a couple part time guys who do well. I plaN TO ATTEND SFS this year so I can really find some direction and figure out what the best choice for a next level for my business

As for pricing I know my area is well below the national average due to an insanely low cost of living.
There are cleaners who charge .30-.40 cents a square but it looks like due to the economy they are losing customers to price shopping. As far as pricing I get around .20 -.30 cents for occupied residential and around .15 cents for commercial and vacant rentals. I know I could probley get more money , however with a bird in the hand being worth 2 in the bush I bid jobs to get them on the schedule and make money. With that said I can say that I am far from the cheapest cleaner and provide quality work at a more affordable price than some companies.

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
I am 39... not as young as it seems anymore.

I am on my 5th year as a franchise owner of a commercial cleaning (Janitorial) company. I've tripled my workload within 5 years.

My lurking started on John's blue boards several years ago. The first thing my friend, Erick Herdt, taught me to do was give "bAWb" shit. Erick did the same as I, but he wound up buying a Bruin with a van, neither ran. 6 Months later with lots of welding, braizing, wiring and blood loss he was up and running.

I soon realised I was limited with what my business could have the potential to be. I spent 2 years researching TM's. Many came and passed. Sometimes I didn't have the means to finance one. Erick always cleaned my accounts that needed carpet cleaning to save me the cash for subbing out.

There are hundreds of franchises out there. Only two are truckmounted. Iseeru

I am maxed with my workload. I scrub/recoat - strip/wax VCT, carpet clean, tile clean, and do my 14 janitorial accounts 7 days a week. I had my first 3 day vacation after 5 years last week.

Now I have to debate HOW I can make my next transition into residential cleaning. I have several years of customer service and sales under my belt. I have a decent plan on how to make it happen.... but don't know how I can find the time. It's a hard hurdle to clear for me.

But this board has given me a TON of resources to work with. Aside of having a close freind who also cleans, there are other people's opinions out there. Many have worked well for me.

The rig runs really well for the most part. I'm short a few things I need to really go balls-out. Still needing a stair tool, upholstery tool, tile cleaner (I rent mine from my franchise and it's a POS), and a few minor repairs on the machine. For that I am thankful.

Opportunity is at my door for my taking. I just need to not kill myself in the process.

gavin

bob vawter said:
number ONE rule to be a carpet cleaner:
Make sure wife has a good job..............!

wife has no job, just CC money to support everything.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Well my five year plan just went to shit on account of relationship gone bad, but I'm looking forward to writing another. Our company is built on slow steady growth over the last 60 years and I'm not planning on gung ho chaning that.. nor do I want my dad to kick my ass! :mrgreen: Our cleaning side is a steadily growing. I'll be on the truck for atleast the next five years, between installation and cleaning.. unless a things drastically change.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom