Your experiences with Propane

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I would like to get as much input from those of you that have used propane for heating over the years. I've never been afraid of campers or grills that use them but would be completely green to use it for a little giant.

Yeah, I did it, I ventured over to *** and they (Rob) had a thread that would just scare the heck out of you on propane. Reading through all the posts apparently most people didn't seem to experience any troubles with the propane itself until the tm started a fire and then the propane lines seemed to add to the problems.

Your input would be appreciated.

Hey Guys thanks for your input. I have used the "search" funtion (sometimes I forget) and found plenty of reading on propane. Thanks to those that have replied.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I had a Little Giant propane unit in my first truckmount back in the early 1980s. The pilot went out. The shut-off mechanism failed. When I noticed the water temps cooling, I returned to the van to relight the pilot. Boom! I was engulfed in a flash explosion for just a second or two. Some bottles melted. Some of my clothing melted, I recieved some minor burns.

Even having experienced this, I continued to use propane - but was a lot more cautious. For my next truckmount I again with with a fuel fired unit over a heat exchanger.

With proper caution, I think a fire would be extremely rare. We hear of a fire every year or two where propane is a factor. But that is only one out of thosands of uniots on the road.

TimP

I haven't had any problems with mine as far as accidents go. However I don't like getting LP. The little giant LP heaters are probably fine for carpet. I have a 3ht for my back up and it don't give a lot of heat, however it's old and may not be working right. I plan on cleaning it before using it again. Anyways, I'd rather get something that's easier to fill up like diesel. But it seems like they have problems and can soot up your truck.

All heating methods have positives and negatives to them.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
my first TM was propane
heater and motor

the biggest PITA about it to "me" was fuel.
There's a gas station onn every corner, but not a propane fill

on windy days the pilot light on the heater would need re-lit often

follow strict safety guidelines, maintain equipment and propane is a completely safe, effective CLEAN fuel.
fail to follow the above, and you have a "potential" for a very real catastrophic failure

..L.T.A.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Propane is safer than gasoline and most TM's off gas. Is Rob also afraid of gasoline, it's explosive also? :wink:

I ran propane fired units for more than twenty years without incident, but I always allowed time for the gas concentrations to clear before trying to ignite the burner if I had problem starting it. (Just as you would your furnace or hot water heater)

Propane is safe, in fact i live out in the country and the furnace in our home is propane as are the hot water heaters.

I prefer heat exchange not so much about safety but more due to the extra cost for the fuel itself and time in running to and from for propane.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
If you follow the instructions you will not have any problems........ Why would you light the pilot light again without turning it off first for a few minutes to clear the gas out? even a dummy could use propane. One of my techs is not very smart and he has no problems with it.... get propane.

Russ Goddard

Propane is not the PIA everyone makes it out to be. Maybe you can't get it at your closest gas station but once you figure out a few places you can get it, you fill up when you're near them, or you schedule yourself to do it on a certain day of the week, whatever works. Just like you don't wait until your truck runs out of gas, you don't let yourself run out of propane either. I think I bought propane on average 3 or 4 times a month. Safety is a matter of common sense, never had any issues there either.

Name
Lee Stockwell
The newest HX units are simple and effective. Sapphire showed theirs off at Mikeyfest, best one I've ever seen.

...however NOTHING is foolproof, because there are "new and improved" fools every year.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I never had a problem with the Little giant. I loved it. It got hot quicker than any machine I EVER had but didn't hold as well. easy to use get the right permits for the bigger tanks and know how r properly mount it. The propane lasts a long time

Ryan

Around here you can get it at any gas station. They all have Blue Rhino exchange cylinders, you may not want those to be your primary tanks, but there's no reason they wouldn't work in a pinch.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Propane tank should be mounted under the truck, or on hanger on OUTSIDE of the rear door. It seems like most of the complete meltdowns I've seen were due to the operator using a barbecue tank snugged right up next to the unit in the back of the truck. Or in one case between the front seats. Overfill it and it will vent, get it hot and it will vent. Venting inside with an open flame going on the heater is bad. :roll:

Turn the pilot off when not using the propane heater.

If flame comes out the sides, clean your heater coils.

On windy days close the doors facing the wind.

We had a lot of propane heaters in the past, and only once had an incident; a guy smoking while fueling lost his eyebrows. A very cheap lesson. Never had an issue with fittings or hoses failing.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Propane rocks!!

Been using a little giant for years. Gets very hot. I have to turn it down for upholstery. So, I don't burn my hand.

Steve's problem was from him using a malfunctioning unit.

If the flame goes out so does the propane.Very safe.

You would have to try hard to intentionally get a backflash by holding down the pilot for a couple of minutes or more before lighting it.

The advantage I like. Is that there in no carbon monoxide with propane.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
My experiences working for Steam Genie gave me quite a bit of insight regarding propane, and propane versus gasoline. When I started with them in 1982, all of Steam Genie's slide-in units were 100% propane powered, both the engine and heater. Later on, propane became only an option for the engine, but the heating systems were still propane all the way.

We had very little, almost no safety issues with propane. In fact, with all the accumulated sales of thousands of units, statistically the propane part of the equation was safer than the gasoline. Fires which involved any fuel, it was much more likely the gasoline was involved if at all.

Part of it had to do with standardization. LPG fuel systems have clearly defined rules for using proper fittings, hoses and regulator components. All these parts are designed for safety considerations when the worst happens. When a high pressure line breaks, instantly a safety flow valve shuts off fuel flow. The DOT tanks themselves are designed to survive just about any accident. This is not true for a gasoline tank, especially a portable one.

Yes, there is still some human error considerations when using propane. Propane devices often have a startup/shutdown procedure that has to be followed. If a pilot light is present, you have to light the pilot in a manner that assures you don't have a build-up of fuel in the combustion chamber area before engaging an ignition device. This usually means a waiting period with the fuel turned off if you have an unexpected pilot light go out. Not heeding the directions can result in unexpected results, just like any other activity that has strict direction.

In all my time at Steam Genie we only had two incidences of anything serious, and both times were serious lapses of common sense. The number of times where gasoline was involved, was more numerous and more serious and was usually installation related outside our control (sloppy DIY installs). Maybe users distrust, or maybe its just respect propane more, and for that reason alone it is much safer.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
find a local propane supplier.. dont go to uhaul or camping places to get it, it is to much i pay $11.41 or so for a full tank of propane. cheap cheap

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
My first TM came with a Little Giant 3HT propane heater (Cleaning Technologies). It worked so well, that I built a second truckmount, and bought another LG 3HT for it also. I used these 2 machines for years, seldom having any issues.

I had to replace 1 copper coil (froze and split and couldn't be repaired), and the other one froze, but we had it silver soldered, and it held.

I had to clean the jets out occasionally (about every year), replace a few Unitrol thermostats, replace several ignitors, replace several thermo-couples, and replaced 2 pilot assemblies, over the 15 years they were in service.

I liked them very much, but there were a few things I didn't like about the Little Giant propane heaters.

Lighting the pilot at each job, and then turning the pilot off after every job. If you have employees, they sometimes would leave the pilot on when driving to jobs. That is a NO NO. Sometimes employees would leave the heater set to ON driving from job to job (forgot to turn it off), instead of at least turning it to the PILOT setting. So, the burner would kick ON while they were driving, and with the unit not being pressurized - another NO NO.

The LG heaters were much hotter than HX units I tried, which was over 10 years ago, but I still liked the LG's heat.

Then I was introduced to the Pressure Washer (PW) propane (LP) heaters. They were definitely built much better (heavier duty construction - schedule 80 black pipe for the coils instead of soft copper), they produced way more heat, and they would go for years without having to clean the jets, or cleaning the coils. They are flow fired, so they can't come on unless you are keying the wand while cleaning.

My first PW propane heater worked well for a couple of years, but it had issues going through gas valves, and the heater would spike the heat.

So I set out to design a PW heater for carpet cleaning that would give the cleaner a controllable, even heat.

The first thing I did was to add an electronic automatic pilot system, and an automatic pilot re-lighter that would re-light the pilot if it blew out for any reason. This PW heater has a premium 24V LP gas valve. Our carpet cleaning company's 2 personal PW LP heaters we use when carpet cleaning, are still on the original gas valves after 10 years, with no glitches.

You can't possibly leave the pilot on with our PW LP heater, when you are done with a cleaning job. When you turn the 110VAC power off to the heater, the heater completely goes OFF, PILOT included, until the next job, when it ALL comes on automatically with just the flick of a switch.

The heater's flow switch will fire the burner, even when cleaning with an upholstery tool.

Shawn Forsythe said:
Part of it had to do with standardization. LPG fuel systems have clearly defined rules for using proper fittings, hoses and regulator components. All these parts are designed for safety considerations when the worst happens. When a high pressure line breaks, instantly a safety flow valve shuts off fuel flow. The DOT tanks themselves are designed to survive just about any accident. This is not true for a gasoline tank, especially a portable one.

Shawn points out just how safe these propane heaters are, and, if the technician doesn't have to light the pilot, and turn it off, that alone makes the improved PW heater a clear winner, and just about employee proof (depending on the employee - lol).

This PW LP heater, compared to the Little Giant LP heater, leaves the Little Giant in the dust as far as heat produced, maintenance, and the hands-off all day operation of the PW heater.

The PW propane heater is actually over-built, but I prefer a heat source that can coast all day long, and still provide all the heat you'd ever want, including running dual wands.

Warren Wallace

Supportive Member
I have a 4ht 240 temp on a hy flow wand all day long. I have a 14 ft. box truck
and a 26# tank mounted under the bed.I can't amagine any other way and refill
is easy go to the local rv shop.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Rob is selling oil- fired systems now and knocking anything else...

The truth is that propane is as safe as anything else if the operator uses common sense. But the same goes for oil- fired, or HX.

Common sense includes things like NOT leaving flammable material (carpet padding is one of the worst) up against hot surfaces, like the top of a heater or the surface of an exchanger, etc.

Most of the time that propane is involved in a fire and found to be the cause, the propane tank has been found to be located inside the van, which is a huge "No- No".

Of all the system fires I'm familiar with, most have been gasoline- related, traced back to a carburetor overflow due to stuck float, or over- pressurizing fuel pump, continued to be fed by the fuel pump...

When I cleaned carpet personally, I had 4 systems in operation- all propane- fired. No problems other than relighting a pilot too soon after it had been blown out one day. Scared me, but that was basically all. I made it a point to wait 3 minutes before re-lighting after that.

Nowadays, we have auto- pilots...

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Just a note: To make my LG easier to light or check the pilot I glued a small mirror underneath it.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I wish I had never gone to a heat exchanger unit. I love my old back up unit with a 3HT. I still love cleaning with it. Gets hotter, faster and way simplier. I have even used it for the last 20 yrs with the propane tank mounted inside the van. The tank is always secured and connected with quality fuel line and fittings. I liked the belly tank but it didn't hold up well in our northern climate. The combination of winter salt and condensation on the outside of the tank just eat the thing up.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I ran a Little Giant on my Steam Genie back in the day.
If you don't keep it clean, you won't have any eyebrows

eyebrows.jpg

I had nuthin but problems with my heat exchanger.
Worked great at first...then...not so great.

Mikey P

Administrator
I ran it for 3 to 4 years as a broke dick chimp @ Coit.

Never an issue and we were untrained on it's safety so we left the flame on all day. (and plenty of weekends) :shock:

Low lifes like Rob Allen will tell you anything to sell what they got.

Wash your eyes out with Purple Power Billy and promise to never go back.

unless they offer you some snort, in which case score me some, I need to do some vacuum bag filtration testing

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
i will respond later when i have time to read..this just book marks it for me

Bob Foster

Preacher said:
the auto light systems Oxley and Savage use are the cats azzz. I loved mine.

I'd like to see a picture and more information on these.

I don't have any problem lighting my LJ4 or keeping it going.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Bob Foster said:
Preacher said:
the auto light systems Oxley and Savage use are the cats azzz. I loved mine.

I'd like to see a picture and more information on these.

I don't have any problem lighting my LJ4 or keeping it going.

you need to have a 12v or 110v to make it light....so it can spark, when it senses flow.

I dont have one of theirs, but the one i do i have i love love

Though i think i want a ring burner instead of my "hot air balloon" looking one

Propane is cake, and in a pinch and you think your low, take your barbeque one with ya as a back up

For the record, my tanks are on the inside of my truck, on the opposite side of the burner..I do this for 2 reasons..

1. the tank i would want for a decent run time is A. to damn big to mount under even a box truck. B to damned expensive

2. in the winter it needs the warmth of the box, to allow the burner to run decent, based on how propane evaporates to give of the gas etc. if its cold out side it dont work worth a shit when you are yanking over 100k btus off the tanks

I leave the back open most times, and the side door, and a roof vent....so between the normal breeze, and the air movement of the machine, i never worry about it "pooling" and causing issue

if your worried about it, put it on a rack like i think werner did...and a few others i have seen...then its off the ground

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Been usinga 4HT for the past 2 yrs, used a fuel fired before that. I like the propane much better; its quieter, cleaner, more consistent. I start mine with a bbq lighter rather than the sparker, except for cleaning out the jets this spring its been maintenance free.

I have an 80liter tank built inside the box of my truck, provides fuel for the kohler and the 4HT and I get over 10hrs on a tank. Finding fuel is no problem around here as there are many vehicles running on propane, my old tm truck, an 88 chev, is one of them which I drove since 96 and am still driving (still has the original mufflers)

So its just as safe and easier on the engines. I've never had the pilot light go out, never had a big flash, never ran out.

If you're running mixed fuels, just be careful if you have gasoline in the same area as the LG, the pilot will ignite the gasoline fumes. So its not the propane that is the worry, its the gasoline.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
so let me get this right...
yous LEAVE an UNATTENDED fire in the back of yor truck....right?

sorta lik the BP spill...
it's safe...till it blows up?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom