Your experiences with Propane

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Brian R said:
That's as bad as leaving an unattended engine running huh bob? :roll: :lol:
an unattended engine NEVER burnt a house down...
Mr i don work no mo!

Name
Bill Soukoreff
bob vawter said:
Brian R":1jyxe6fl]That's as bad as leaving an unattended engine running huh bob? :roll: :lol:[/quote] an unattended engine NEVER burnt a house down... Mr i don work no mo![/quote:1jyxe6fl] [url="http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/canada/recalls+vehicles+Canada/3127036/story.html said:
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/can ... story.html[/url]

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
The flame is contained so would it make a diff if someone was watching it?

I've seen many engines catch fire and they are being driven. except for the electric tms, we're all leaving an engine revving away unattended. At least with a slide in you don't have to worry about it kicking into gear and taking off!

Name
Bill Soukoreff
Over 6 years now, and the Savage heater has only needed a flow switch and a temperature switch. Like Bob says it just works. You flip the switch and go clean. NOTHING to think about. Even us dumb Kanadians can use it. I fill the 9 gallon belly tank once every 10 days or so. When you need propane you notice how common it is.

I lived in South America for 5 years and almost ALL the Taxi's run on do it yourself propane installations. It gets over 120F in the summer and I never heard of any problems. They actually use 5 gallon propane tanks (right in their house) to cook with on their propane stoves. They deliver three 5lb propane tanks on the back of mopeds secured with bungie chords. Once I saw them fall off and bounce down the highway. The guy stopped, picked them back up, put them back on and kept going.

They also use propane powered on demand water heaters mounted on their walls over the sink. Loved hearing the the sound of the propane igniting when you turn on the tap.

The problem in North America is the paranoia spread by many distributors who only sell heat exchanger machines.

If you choose propane, do it right and have a belly tank. Use a bulkhead through the van floor and get one that is fully automated. If I had to manually light mine or worry about the pilot blowing out by wind, I would go to a heat exchanger machine. I love my Savage heater, especially when I clean during our long sub zero winters.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
The propane didn't cause the fire nor does it seem to have made things worse. Would it have been any different if the propane had been mounted under the van.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
do you realize the length and amount of heat to get those tanks to go???

it was the MACHINE that shorted out...

quit trying to fan a non-issue

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
got my propane heater from Bob Savage. I use it as a booster with my truck mount on special tile and grout set ups. Also as a stand alone for use with my portable. If my heat exchanger/s ever take a sh.. I'll be bolting full time in my van. Very easy to use. I run the ignition with a 12 volt battery and an inverter. Open the valve on the gas, flick two switches, set your temp on the dial and walk away.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Doug,
As you'll see from my earlier post I don't have a problem with propane. The problem isn't with the tanks exploding, but they're made to vent when over-pressured. Internal pressure rises as temperatures rise and they will vent a lot in the heat of a fire. An external tank isn't venting into a confined space.

Regulations vary, but this is one exerpt: "Never keep a cylinder inside a hot car or van. Heat may cause the pressure relief valve to release propane. Flash fires and explosions can result from exposing cylinders to heat."

A local O/O declared bankruptcy to try and evade the fines he got after his truck burned and the fire department found his propane tank was between the front seats. It would be interesting to know what kind of grief the company in this story gets from the fire department for having those tanks inside.

I know an electrician that tests outlets by using his fingers to get a "tingle" and a gas pipe installer that tests for natural gas leaks on new installations by using a lighter. They're both old-timers that have done this for years, but they're still stupid.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
yes if they allowed that van to get THAT FOOKIN HOT, inside there is a problem....

I always have a roof vent, back roll up door wide open, and the side door...ventalation is your friend..

only time i close up the back is in the winter time, when i would like the truck to be around 80-90, so the propane evaporates properly and i dont get icing

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom