Your suggestions?

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Have a decent size job coming up and they have a couple concerns withs spots on a couch. They had it reupholstered and then some spills happened and they do not know what the spills are. Some bleeding has already happened and I told them I didn't think I could do much with it. How would you attempt to clean this?

Reactions: John Olson

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
hum, tried to load pics with tapatalk as before however with the new ios7 udated everything is messed up. I'll try loading pics over the weekend so just disregard for now. Thanks

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'd only do it with no liability on your part.

If they take responsibility for the spots then I'd test for colorfastness with your cleaning solutions.

Apply a dye stabilizer, keep everything fairly neutral and rinse on the acid side. Use a dry type tool and dry as fast as you can. Charge accordingly to compensate for all the extra time. I'd do it first so it has time to dry while you are there, consider leaving an airmover over night or all day and pick it up later. Include the extra trip in your total.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Are they asking you to correct the bleed or just clean?

Is the fabric from a Jaquard loom? (open and look inside if the color inside are the reverse of the ouside it is a jaquard.)

Cleaning on the neutral possibly acidic side will usually not bleed a Jaquard though you definitely want to test.
Too bad you don't know what the spills are. If it is just a normal spill and it bled- not a good sign.

If it is not a jaquard and there's a color change, sometime that bleeding is due to high alkalinity. At times you can reitnroduce the alkalinity and when the colors float neutralize or rinse with an acid rinse. Very risky though. Try only if they are willing to take the risk and replacement is the other alternative. And make sure that they understand the risk (emotionally not just intellectually) and with a CAPITALIZED and signed release of liability.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom