Zipper back pain

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Are you people using it for residential now? Is it working well for residential?
I'm really considering buying one. I need something that is close to fool proof for my tech.
My Rx tears Seams to easy and my wand doesn't seem to have enough cleaning power.

WE use it about 80% of the time including residential, but there are still times that we need to bust out a Rotary....

I put my RX 20's away in the shop and have gone to the Rotovac 360 XL's for weight and versatility.... but you could still bust open seams with that too I am sure if not careful...

Fortunately, I have not busted a seem yet....or for many years when was using the RX 20's

The Zipper does seem to clean better than a wand....but also dries faster than a wand we are finding.

The Rotovacs are good drying units too, but have to keep in mind, when we are using them....we usually have some incredibly trashed carpets, and you are cleaning and wetting pretty deep....I have even gone over areas with the Zipper after a Rotovac just doing dry passes to see if I could get out more moisture....and we don't see any more moisture....

There are some places the Zipper will clean better than other tools...and some places, there might be a better choice....

I would encourage getting to a show or finding someone with the Zipper to try it...or keep in mind, Erik offers a money back guarantee if you do not like it....

Sometimes, we still agitate carpets and then Zipper too....so I would venture to say, there is still no "Fool Proof just turn them loose with a best tool" answer here.

I am using the Prochem six jet Titaniums with .02 jets (12 flow) for my wand....just wanted to give you and idea what we are using....

Reactions: Art Kelley

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
Of course I'm walking it. You can't possibly be trying to tell me you find that thing glides like a wand.
I'll agree its different then a wand. but its no different then how I run my spinner.

Maybe im just in better shape then I thought I was.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
I think my guy have a harder time with hose management more than the zipper. They seem to twist to keep the hoses out of the way.
Has anyony tried cleaning in and drying out of areas. We have a church today and are going to try it in the pew area.

Name
Steve Lawrence
I had to fill in the other day at a big church job. I've been off the truck over a decade. (66 y.o.) If it hadn't been for the Zipper I would have been dead after 7000 sq. ft. No soreness at all. Did another 3000 s.f. the next morning. Thanks, Erik, I find the Zip is much easier on the body.

Not to mention--it was the best results we've ever gotten on this job.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Feet dangle when on the toilet too?!? As far as bending over to pre spray, not everyone suffers from @billyeadon syndrome................ Isn't the spray distance supposed to be 12"-18" off the carpet? Taller guys need to bend more....

I <3 my Zipper jr.......
Gosh I never heard it called a syndrome before. Maybe the government will give me some money to deal with it.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Maybe I'm using the Zipper Correctly-- because Its my legs that are tired after a long day... Using the Zipper IS a work out.. But I still Love it-- No need to go to the Gym.. I feel Powerful and Stronger after using it.
I don't think it is Faster then a wand because I still use the same amount of strokes-- BUT I'm doing a better job with the Zipper vs a wand.

Name
Marcus
Probably easier to traina newbee that has not used a wand
Do not use it like a wand too heavy....more like a vacuum cleaner or rotary ...take your time
I have had mine 16 months......
Couple of tips...
- I use wand in homes for corners closets and under beds and furniture
- use the zipper for the open areas and heavy areas
- 4.5 blower and 33 hp very rarely do dry strokes as u can do a dry stroke on the pullback it is always drier than a wand
- on commercial walk it or push it with 1 hand swich hands......
Just finished a big commercial today..finished it 1/2 hour faster 2-3 hour dry time vs 5 with the wand
And about half as tired...absolutely no dry strokes accept on heavy soil for commercial other than the pullback stroke.......
Take your time it seems to go slower but if you can skip most dry strokes it will
Actually be faster and always cleaner and drier...also I am using 14 flow.....
Cap

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
Mirf, the first thing I did to my Zipper, was to put a flexible 2" vac hose on in place of the short one comingoff of the cleaning head to the sight tube, rotate the SS water line to contain the movement and connect my vac-line from the truck to the unit at floor level. This eliminates the vac hose running up the handle and allows movement of the hose with a kick of either foot. Hose runs straight out the back now. I could forsee bumping stuff with the stock hose placement, right or left.
The second , was to remove the 45 elbow off the water valve, install a 90 with a 12" SS whip hose tie-wrapped so it can slide up and down the handle. Connecting the high pressure hose is at my extended arms length now. Much more user friendly now.
My next concern is to tackle the 'puff the magic dragon' syndrome where you see vapor emitting from the frontal areas, but I see Saigers demo ZipSS has a full plate on the sides of it, so maybe Eric is on to that already.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Probably easier to traina newbee that has not used a wand
Do not use it like a wand too heavy....more like a vacuum cleaner or rotary ...take your time
I have had mine 16 months......
Couple of tips...
- I use wand in homes for corners closets and under beds and furniture
- use the zipper for the open areas and heavy areas
- 4.5 blower and 33 hp very rarely do dry strokes as u can do a dry stroke on the pullback it is always drier than a wand
- on commercial walk it or push it with 1 hand swich hands......
Just finished a big commercial today..finished it 1/2 hour faster 2-3 hour dry time vs 5 with the wand
And about half as tired...absolutely no dry strokes accept on heavy soil for commercial other than the pullback stroke.......
Take your time it seems to go slower but if you can skip most dry strokes it will
Actually be faster and always cleaner and drier...also I am using 14 flow.....
Cap

14 flow? Do you have 7 jets on yours?

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Marcus
6 jets
4 w #2s
2w#3s
Still probably only 1 1/2 gallons per minute water flow I believe that's plenty...
Went thru 130-140 gallons on a commercial job with a little less than 2 hours on the truckmount
So I average about 1 gallon per minute on commercial jobs on the clock....
A lot of flushing, but most jobs are just one waste tank dump.......

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
Just an FYI for back pain - don't know anything about the Zipper, but I'm 50 with 5 bulging discs in my back. I recently put away my Prochem 4 Jet wand at 11.5lbs and got a Mytee Bentley at 6.5lbs, with a glide, running a 1 1/2 inch hose up to a 2" cuff for less weight. It's amazing what dropping 5lbs did, especially on larger jobs. My back is doing way better & I should have done this years ago. Question? How much does a Zipper weigh?

Reactions: Mikey P

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
There is definitely a learning curve when it comes to using the Zipper efficiently. I bought the Zipper to increase my carpet cleaning production after reading many of the endorsements on this board.

Using the Zipper on my first few jobs was a frustrating experience. I was trying to move fast, tripping over my hoses, running over my solution line and the magnate would snap the cleaning head off the carpet when I did not want it to and the dam thing would fall over all the time. I was frustrated, exhausted and my body ached.

I have been using the Zipper for three months now on 99% of my carpet cleaning jobs. I stuck with the Zipper due to its superior flushing and drying capabilities. I am now seeing the increase in production that I bought the tool for because I am more familiar with the equipment and the necessary hose management and cleaning pattern strategy of each area. The Zipper is also easier on my body than my tricked out ti wands.

I advise the new Zipper users to hang in there and master the Zipper cleaning technique, you will not regret it.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
There is definitely a learning curve when it comes to using the Zipper efficiently. I bought the Zipper to increase my carpet cleaning production after reading many of the endorsements on this board.

Using the Zipper on my first few jobs was a frustrating experience. I was trying to move fast, tripping over my hoses, running over my solution line and the magnate would snap the cleaning head off the carpet when I did not want it to and the dam thing would fall over all the time. I was frustrated, exhausted and my body ached.

I have been using the Zipper for three months now on 99% of my carpet cleaning jobs. I stuck with the Zipper due to its superior flushing and drying capabilities. I am now seeing the increase in production that I bought the tool for because I am more familiar with the equipment and the necessary hose management and cleaning pattern strategy of each area. The Zipper is also easier on my body than my tricked out ti wands.

I advise the new Zipper users to hang in there and master the Zipper cleaning technique, you will not regret it.

That is a great post and so true....

Thanks for sharing your experience.

We had some of the same for the beginning ...

My son in law was the same....he hated it at first because he was trying to wand with it.

He learned to walk....now the boy can run with it...

He is like the Poster child for Zipper wands.

This is the son in law now....

He is like a pro with it! And if I told him we couldn't use Zippers anymore....I think he would quit....quite a difference from his first experiences in Sept 2014 just 11 months ago.

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
I've been using the Zipper for a couple years now ( I bought mine when the price was $2499 for the 13 inch ). I now look at large commercial jobs completely different. It's like mowing the lawn and I have much better posture. I feel less tired and sore after using the Zipper. I can't imagine having to go back to a wand on large commercial jobs again.

Name
Marcus
I'm with you I would probably quit before I went back to a wand....
But the zipper is here to stay at least with me.

Did another large commercial job this week about 400 sq ft...
Zipper still amazes me as always drier wo dry strokes, less labor and somewhat faster.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
Yeah, that magnet is a pita. After Erik makes his first million, he needs to take a time out and devise a handle release.
I made one years ago. It's now used on the HF drag wand. Lol
Sorry it took so long on your handle Marty, I wanted to use you as a Guinea pig. This way you had time to use the other handle, so you can give me an honest review of the new handle for a taller person versus the other.

Last edited:

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
image.jpg
image.jpg
Please call me in the next few days, so we can go over a list of tools you will need. I will walk you through it. Your handle should arrive on Thursday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik

Here is how I like to release the handle from the head...hands and foot free!
Yeah, that magnet is a pita. After Erik makes his first million, he needs to take a time out and devise a handle release.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik

Thank you very much for this! The guys on Mikey's Board have given me the best feedback and honest reviews. I really appreciate all of you!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom