04 Sprinter For Sale 5k...should I buy it?

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
My neighbor has it up for sale. It looks like a great ride. I drive it today and it drove like a dream. It's the short body...I'd rather have the LWB but I can hardly pass it up. It would be great for CCing or maybe service calls for WD.

What do you think?

C

clean image

Re: 04 Sprinter For Sale 5k...should I?

5k, snap it up
How many miles

If it doesn't work out, you can flip it and make money

I would do simple check for "black death"
Pull valve cover and make sure injectors arnt leaking

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
It has 185k on it. I am amazed at how well it runs.

Can you clarify black death?

The van died a few times last week. They took it to the dealer and they said it was an injector problem. He took it to another guy and he said BS it's fine. They cleaned the injectors and all has been well for 300 miles.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
C

clean image

If you smell diesel fumes in cab when running, you may have leaking injectors

Black death is where the inector seat leaks and builds up coke deposits

It can be costly to repair, it can be repaired without removing heads however

I have seen these being sold with 400-500 k miles on them

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
fer 5k.....

damn you could almost part it out for more then that

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
A friend of mine just put a rebuilt tranny in his $6,0000.00. Have the tranny checked before you buy, you could always use it as a bargining chip if it needs work.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree, ugly ant eater look to them. :shock:

You must hate them Bawb! "do they tip over....often?"

Standing up right sure has it's benefits. So if the shape fits what you're wanting to do out of them, I can see it.

Fugly but functional.

:mrgreen:

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Dive on it. 185k is nothing for those vans.

Injectors can be a bit expensive, esp if they are carboned up because they can be a nightmare to remove, however - find a good local diesel mechanic, it shouldn't get too expensive to fix. Tell whoever is doing it IF it ever needs to happen - oven cleaner.

Used injectors can be had for pennies on the dollar, I have used used ones several times before, if you get them from the guys below you'll have no worries.

As far as the tranny's, you can find used ones all day for $1000-1400, rebuilt ones from $1800-2500.

www.qualitysprinter.com for used parts, egr's, turbo boots, injectors, etc etc - GREAT prices, and REALLY good guys there - they also sell rebuilt parts.

http://store.europarts-sd.com - good for filters, brakes, belts, lights, and most new parts - you can get new oem parts for 20-50% under dealer list here - another good co. fast shipping.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I bought a new Mercedes Sprinter in 04. Mid wheel base model.

I have a Genesis sitting across behind the cab and that machine is a workhorse.

It gets a service once a year (22,500km service interval) and the only thing that comes up regular is brake pads. I put that down to heavy payload.

Only other thing to note is wheel alignment. Mine chews out front tyres like you wouldn't beleive. I've had that many different shops do it for me but always the same result. Again, it's a weight issue, as few other Sprinter drivers I've talked to have it.

John

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
John Middleton said:
I bought a new Mercedes Sprinter in 04. Mid wheel base model.

I have a Genesis sitting across behind the cab and that machine is a workhorse.

It gets a service once a year (22,500km service interval) and the only thing that comes up regular is brake pads. I put that down to heavy payload.

Only other thing to note is wheel alignment. Mine chews out front tyres like you wouldn't beleive. I've had that many different shops do it for me but always the same result. Again, it's a weight issue, as few other Sprinter drivers I've talked to have it.

John

You have other problems then - I get 40-50K MINIMUM on a set of Transforce HT's, high 50s low 60's has happened many times on a set too.

Could be mechanical issues on the van, could be your load in the van is way heavy off center. We use console water tanks behind the seats, then the tm in the center, reels in the rear - they align like champs everytime.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom