1 1/2 Hose

Brett

Will 50' of two 1 1/2 hose's to a Y, then 2" to the wand give you more suction than just 2" all the way, or will the 1 1/2 cause more friction?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
more friction...

just like 4 to the door, or 2 2" hoses is less effictive then 1 2.5"

not to mention once again, more hose to roll up..

The smaller the diameter the more friction. I say keep the hose as big as possible and make your "Hose Reeling Party" as less strenuous as possible!!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
PittsburghPete said:
The smaller the diameter the more friction. I say keep the hose as big as possible and make your "Hose Reeling Party" as less strenuous as possible!!

i think we all understand that Pete.
However, two 1.5" hoses have a combined diameter larger than one 2"

likewise, two 2" hoses has a larger dia than one 2.5"

..L.T.A.

G

grouNd meAt said:
floorguy said:
more friction...

just like 4 to the door, or 2 2" hoses is less effictive then 1 2.5"

why/how?

seems physics would would say the opposite

..L.T.A.
Please stop with the less effective.Like Larry said "why/how". This thread keeps going and going with the perception one is better than the other,when in fact it is a "preference" thing,some find it easier to run one way,others the other,but understand,it is not a performance thing.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
grouNd meAt said:
PittsburghPete said:

i think we all understand that Pete.
However, two 1.5" hoses have a combined diameter larger than one 2"

likewise, two 2" hoses has a larger dia than one 2.5"

..L.T.A.

true...but it also has more surface to create friction

so if a 2.5 has roughly 50% more dia then 2", then all that extra 50% is almost "free" space...almost in the sense that yes the outside of the hose has to be larger, but not double

heres a prime example of the use and subsequent diteration in the use of 1.5"

Had a ball that fell down the airconditioning vent (dont ask), so i had to use a shop vac and jam the hose in to get it...To far for shop vac hose :idea: lets use my 1.5 out in the garage it should fit in this some how... Used about 35ish ft (2 sections had a joiner in them) felt the end of the hose :? :? :? veryyyy little suction, and this was kind of a heavy ball... Un-did the coupler and felt the hose again... :!: :!: :!: :!: it was like double if not triple the suction power...

so everything being the same...just taking out HALF that hose made almost triple the performance increase..

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Doug, if i understand Brent correctly, he's talking about 2 to the door.
2 parallel 1.5 wyed to a 2" whip to wand

Two 1.5" has more free air space than a single 2"

..L.T.A.

cbcsi

A really interesting question. ID would have to be more with (2) 1 1/2" than (1) 2"

I found one time that two portys each with 2 2stage vac motors (in series) and a 10 gal waste tank when connected via (2) 1 1/2" hoses to a T with a single 1 1/2" hose coming off had a lot more suction than the second porty hooking directly to the outlet of the second vac motor on the first machine (4 in series) with the one 1 1/2 in hose coming off the first machine. I decided that 2 series set parallell seemed to have a very hard to miss advantage in suction. I am going to rearrange the vac motors one day so that the two vac motors in each porty are going into a Y instead of the exhaust of one going into the intake of the other. I am interested to see what happens.

Able 1

Name
Keith
2 2" is about the same as a 50' of 2.5, I just think it's easier running the 2.5 IMO.

1.5 hose is a joke no matter how you configure it.

Brett

Yes, I was asking about two 1 1/2 hoses 25-50' from my Recoil to a y to 2" to the wand. The ID of 3 inch vs 2 inch was what I was curious about, friction and turbulence being the main question why one would be better than the other. An 1 1/2 laid alongside a 2" might work, 2-2" might be best, or 2.5 that a few guys are using on their portables. I have plenty of 1 1/2 since I switched to 2", but no y's to experiment with. I'm thinking about replacing my 2 stage vac with a 13.5 amp 3 stage for a total of 3 3 stages on 3 cords.

Name
Eric Valentine
2 1.5" hoses in parallel have a whopping 12.5% more area for flow (internal air space) than a single 2" hose. The same 2 1.5" hoses have 50% more surface area (friction). If both the 1.5" and 2" hoses are made with the same materials, the same way, the 2" hose will be more efficient for the airflow.

If you compare '4 to the door' (2 2" hoses in parallel) to a single 2.5" hose, the results are as such: '4 to the door' has 28% more area for flow than a single 2.5" hose. The same '4 to the door' has 60% more surface area. The differences between '4 to the door' and a single 2.5" hose are not going to be that drastic. '4 to the door' has a slight advantage in the airflow capacity department, but it is really a matter of what you prefer.

Greenie

Kudos for Eric.....there are some that read and retain.

Craig, the short answer is...if it's all you got, then use it, but just don't use any thick walled plastic connectors, that'll add insult to injury, use exterior cuffs and even a 2"Y if you can get one, cause a 1.5" cuff that steps up to 2" is the way to go, at machine, and at Y.

Walt

All this begs the question:

Shouldn't the inside of the hose be smooth not ribbed? Does that hose exist?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom