1 Mat short

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Dusting this big rug today. I’m 1 mat short. Got one coming. Been ordering them one at a time until I have enough. $39 per mat. I’ll use these until I can afford the $500 metal mats that Centrumforce sells. So much equipment needed, but I’m getting the bases covered.

849ABA1F-EA39-4438-83C7-A1CCEDA6B6C8.jpeg2B43D120-6221-42CE-8E55-77385A5927D4.jpegA76836CD-BF30-403A-90C5-F16D28CF5647.jpeg

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
yeah I realise it slaps, but being bdcc I use my upright or occasionally my pile lifter on the back to shake fine dust & grit out.

My pile lfter shakes out more than my vac, but I need to replace a bearing on it as it keeps screaming the end is nigh!

Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
So the metal mat which you REALLY need cost only 100 more than you are spending on 60% less effective substitutes?
Yeah but i can buy them over time and I’m not going to put it on my credit card.

There are two schools of thoughts on the mats. One school says the metal grates are better because they don’t absorb the vibrations. The Lisa Wagner school of thought says the metal grates damage the rugs. What do you think?

Name
Lee Stockwell
You remove more dirt with the metal grate.

"Damage" is often a red herring argument to disguise a competitor shortcoming. Bane Clene "warned" about parts of the cleaning pie they couldn't attain. Wand-only guys "warn" about potential damage from rotaries they don't have.

If the rug can be "damaged" laying on a stationary metal grid, I'd counter that it may be MORE damaged by retained abrasive dirt.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I've always wanted to know if the strap dusters work better than an orbital for shaking out dirt.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
You remove more dirt with the metal grate.

"Damage" is often a red herring argument to disguise a competitor shortcoming. Bane Clene "warned" about parts of the cleaning pie they couldn't attain. Wand-only guys "warn" about potential damage from rotaries they don't have.

If the rug can be "damaged" laying on a stationary metal grid, I'd counter that it may be MORE damaged by retained abrasive dirt.
Well damn. Looks like I’ll be waiting a little longer for the metal mats. I’m going to need about $1300 worth. I’ll work on it. Maybe after I install security cameras.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Marty, you have no business liking Lee’s post. You pressure wash rugs on a cyclone fence.

Ron K

Bryan
Nothing works better than a tumble duster.
I have used or made,
Sanitares
Modified sanitizes with only beater bars
Pile lifters with modified leather straps
Air Dusting
3"X 24"aluminum square stock home made beater bar machine very very effective but scary.1500rpm's
Pneumatic Railroad Car shaker.
Cookie sheet with glued on 6x9 orbital sanders.
CLug CLadger I won't promote that piece of SHit nor say that word.
I've modified that so it would not suck up rugs(call me I'll tell you how.)
Metal grate, I told Shusty what and where to get it, is Baseball infield Drag Material and readily available
on the web.
and that's all I have to say about that!

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Bryan
I have used or made,
Sanitares
Air Dusting
3"X 24"aluminum square stock home made beater bar machine very very effective but scary.1500rpm's
Metal grate, I told Shusty what and where to get it, is Baseball infield Drag Material and readily available
on the web.
Kind of like a box of chocolates

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Bryan
I have used or made,
Sanitares
Air Dusting
on the web.
I completely forgot. I also have an air duster mounted on my wall. I didn't use it because it was so windy and it looked like it was going to rain. I know nothing about Rug Badger other than it's red and I have one I got from Dan. It seems to do the job.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Willy P

Name
Willy P
A strap Wacker can't be good for dried out latex

Qualify the hell out of it. I think a bath might be even worse. I worked at a rug plant in the early 80s that had one. Seemed to not cause as much problem ás the bath loosening up that Georgia clay. Most backings were jute back then. Early 80s. Im old. Bryan you probaly saw granville carpet cleaning's plant. This was the same with the belt whacker. . .

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
How many rugs, percentage, don't go into the tumble duster or wash tub and have to be cleaned otherwise?
30 to 40 % of what we see can't be tumbled. 5-7% can't be strap dusted. About 10 - 12% can't be immersed at all and about the same number can't be hung to dry.

Those percentages are a guess, and what we see may be due to being in a trendy city with a large population of younger people with too much money, so the traditional, rugged hand-knotted rug has been on the way out for years.

The number one new rug we see now, by a large margin, are hand-loomed rugs made to look like hand-knotted rugs. They typically have a lot of rayon content, are heavy, have a weak foundation and carry multi-thousand dollar price tags.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
30 to 40 % of what we see can't be tumbled. 5-7% can't be strap dusted. About 10 - 12% can't be immersed at all and about the same number can't be hung to dry.

Those percentages are a guess, and what we see may be due to being in a trendy city with a large population of younger people with too much money, so the traditional, rugged hand-knotted rug has been on the way out for years.

The number one new rug we see now, by a large margin, are hand-loomed rugs made to look like hand-knotted rugs. They typically have a lot of rayon content, are heavy, have a weak foundation and carry multi-thousand dollar price tags.
I seem to get more decorator rugs with cloth or canvas backings, polyester shag rugs, viscose rugs than true hand knotted rugs. At one time we charged more for the real wool rugs because of the risk of damage. Today, with the good chemistry we have available, those rugs are easy to clean but we struggle with the decorator rugs at times.

Reactions: The Great Oz

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Qualify the hell out of it. I think a bath might be even worse. I worked at a rug plant in the early 80s that had one. Seemed to not cause as much problem ás the bath loosening up that Georgia clay. Most backings were jute back then. Early 80s. Im old. Bryan you probaly saw granville carpet cleaning's plant. This was the same with the belt whacker. . .
Depends on the rug. Some rugs you wouldn't want to tumble clean can still be immersed flat, and some rugs you can't tumble can be strap dusted. In all cases tumbling will do a better job of agitation and soil removal... just not the tool for everything.

Although friendly with the owners, I was never in town during Granville business hours. Ribbed them about the hookers hanging outside their high barbed wire fence, then they moved to a better neighborhood. The old neighborhood got cleaned up for Expo and the hookers moved up the hill to their new place.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom