pick 3.

• To much money invested in tools

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • To much money invested in a marketing Guru

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mikey P

Administrator
or so new carpet cleaning businesses close their doors every year is what I hear.

What would you say the top 3 reasons are?

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Listening to hype.
Not having enough money for marketing and not being the get out there type
Buying too much crap

Wonder where that number falls in relation to other small businesses

Albert

The Preacher

MArdy won't vote because you din't have a catigory for:

Caught looking at Mr. Pifts package! :shock:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Too lazy...they always think it's easy
bad breath...don't give a crap about image
No cleaning skills...they just jump right in

I didn't put the 20 dollar an hour thing because the new guys always bitch about not being able to make money...although it's because of the 3 reasons I gave

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Your top three so far are probably the closest to what I've seen.

Let me add:

Unrealistic expectations.

Most of the people who I see "give it up" are not broke and behind on equipment payments. Instead they're tired of trying, or just as often, their spouse is tired of supporting the business.

Whether they "did the math" on the 150.00 per hour they paid for a carpet cleaning job, or perhaps they were oversold by a franchise business opportunity, many of these people thought they could "get rich quick" in this business, and that just isn't the case.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
KeithCo said:
Absolutely no business skills.

Even cleaning hacks can survive and sometimes prosper
if they have business acumen.

Don't let mikey hear you say that. Truth hurts. :mrgreen:

Fon Johnson

KeithCo said:
Absolutely no business skills.

Even cleaning hacks can survive and sometimes prosper
if they have business acumen.

Keith took the words out of my mouth. You can be the greatest 50 step cleaner in the world with a vortex and gold plated cimex, but if you can't handle the business end you are in trouble.

Name
Jesse
I just lost our lead tech a month ago, 6 months ago he got a $10,000 personal loan at 28% interest. I have showed him our books before and explained why he shouldn't make the jump until he's ready but he didn't get it. He seen that he generated 120-180hr for us and thinks he can do great at half that.

He bought a Briun in a pos Ford for 7k, then the trans went out, then the pump. 1 month on his own and a few of our stolen customers later and he's now working for less money at a local competitor that I happen to dislike.

He called me wanting his job back but I can't do that. I shouldn't have let him keep his job when he bought the TM, but I thought he would try it on the side and maybe change his mind.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Bad to NO marketing skills
Bad to NO busn knowledge/skills

These are what slowed me down. PTL I survived.

Everyone knocks Joe Polish but there was NO ONE else teaching busn and marketing back then, '97 when I "discovered" Piranha. Best thing that ever happened to me.
Of course now everyone can bash them because all the info is out in the open now and there are a couple dozen people teaching busn/marketing skills. Say what you want, my busn would not be where it is today had I not started going to Joe's bootcamps.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Didn't buy top cleaning performance equipment and tools. Not able to outclean the competition. Not having a Unique Selling Position. No common sense.

lesterj2

1. To much money invested in a marketing Guru...
2. Bad breath and stares at Mrs Pift's cleavage...
3. All their eggs in one commercial basket...

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I'm right where I like and if I ever give it a proper push I'll be busier than a one legged man in a fanny kicking contest.

These boards will leap frog anyone's busn with the info available to the newbie, or oldbie.

GRHeacock

I had 3 businesses that did not make it, mainly because of a poor choice on my part of partners.

Then I had to go to work as an employee- again.

The last time I started a business, I said no partners. Either I can do it myself, or I cannot, but nobody else to blame.

And yes, it was successful.

The first 3 were all under capitalized, too- no line of credit, and I am sure that was part of the problem.

Starting a business with rented equipment because we could not afford to buy- even used equipment was not a good way to go.

And- partners that were a drunk, or a thief was not a good choice.

My first partner got 15 years in the pen for robbing a customer.

But finally, it did work out well in the long run.

Gary

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom