175 Buffer Motor Question...

I'm not a mechanical person first off. Thus the question.

I'm shopping for a new floor buffer to be used for VLM cleaning. I found one that is 235 RPM, which is great, I like the higher speed. It's supposedly an AC motor. Another one I'm looking at is a 175/300, even better. It's a DC motor.

I know the motor type can be important. But I don't know how important, and I don't know the difference.

What is the difference or advantages of an AC, DC or DC rectified motor?

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
AC - Plug, cord.. to a wall. Make sure you see the FLA (Full Load Amps) on the motor. If it's above 25, stay away. Most commercial settings and many residential are around 15 amps. Make sure it's 115 volts as well...

DC - Car battery. You'll have to recharge it often. It's gonna be heavy as well. Floor machines are heavy enough as it is.

Low moisture units need to have decent Horsepower, starters, and bearings. If not, and you get a lower HP or starting unit, it'll bind, buzz, and blow breakers left and right.

I hate to suggest them because they ticked me off locally... but...

Cleanfreak.com and look at the floor buffers. They have units just for padding.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
dc motors can be plugged into the wall too. They use rectifier circuits to convert the ac to dc. The advantage to them is that they are continously variable meaning they can run at almost any speed within its range whereas an ac motor uses the electrical cycles to determine speed and will typically have one or 2 predetermined speeds that they can operate by utilizing different windings in the motor.
As far as floor buffers and availble torque between the two types of motor, I really dont know.

Name
Danny Strickland
go single speed with dual capacitor's. DC rectified on dual speeds tend to wear out quicker. thats my experience when i worked for a JAN/SAn that had the best mechanic in the region.

Name
Lee Stockwell
1.5hp ac dual capacitor.
Triple planetary gearbox.

The only place I use the DC rectified motors is on high-speed burnishers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom