18 hp V twin briggs troubles need opinions

Name
BradFenstermaker
Ok my engine has hicupped a few times over the last week. Seemed like it was bogging down and quickly clear up.

Yesterday it had troubles on all 3 jobs and this morning it wouldn't run good enough to use. Paid local shop to clean carb without taking it out.

Seemed to help alot but didn't last long. Now its dying at idle. Its a Vangard 350447 with 1600 or so hours.

Uncle and I pulled the carb and nothing stood out as a problem. Cleaned everything and put back with nothing changing.

What else should I look at or try??? NOBODY has any parts around locally so I am waiting on carb rebuild kit. But think it wont help.

Also replaced my 12V fuel pump .

I am down till I get it burring again or replace engine. Call me if its easier 423*802*0657

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
pull off fuel line and blow out or replace it..change fuel filter..

you being in ga are not too far from me..if you need to you can borrow the jud on a day off to bang out a bunch of work and keep money flowing at least..

we can schedule it off for 2 days max in a week..we can work it out as needed if needed..

let me know
dave 904-483-7307

Name
BradFenstermaker
Thanks Dave, awesome reply. I did replace both fuel filters yesterday and half the fuel lines. Changed the plugs a few weeks ago. I did not change wires yet.

It ran 4 hrs straight on church job yesterday morning. I just don't get this sudden failure.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
ok this is a really stupid thought and Im sure you checked it but is your dump tank filter clean? I had a truckmount that would would bog down because the tank filter was completely plugged. It you might have a problem with your cylander head , I also had a problem with that which caused shitty compression and bogged the machine down

Name
BradFenstermaker
No tank filter in the tank. ANybody know if the little vacuum fuel pump on the motor could cause any issues if it fails??

While the engine is running fuel is spraying out of the carb. I had to replace the air filter too while they replaced my wallet weight.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
Ok so if fuel is spraying out of carb you prob have a float sticking. Rebuild or replace should fix.

Keep us posted and remember I'm not far if ya need anything at all. We will make it happen somehow

Name
BradFenstermaker
FIXED! I hope anyway. My carb does not have a spin off fuel bowl. Or any wires to it. Adjusted the valves this morning. She purred like a kitten until the 30 min mark. Then lost all power. While it was running rough, I pulled the plug wires off 1 at a time.

Found the bad 1 and replaced the ignition armature. I picked that up early am since its the only part they stocked for my engine.

It burred under load for 35 mins so it should be good to go.

Thanks

Name
BradFenstermaker
Yes sort of, on the V TWIN Vanguards each plug wire is a magneto/armature on the flywheel. A magnet spins and makes the spark for the plug. If the wire is bad you have replace the armature.

Easy job really, $45 each so its a good idea to put one in inventory on the shelf. My prob may have been the spade connection to the armature though. you have the spade on 1 wire and the plug wire. 2 small screws mounting it. My spade was cracked cause it just broke off when I pulled it.

They are under the front engine cover at 11 and 1 oclock.

Atleast I know the carb is clean I guess too. Valves take about 30 mins tops to adjust. they need to be at .004. Youtube has some good vids of how to.

Later

Reactions: davegillfishing

steve g

Name
steve garrett
the 18hp briggs has been one of the best small engine I have used. way better than the kohlers . The best is probably the old onan's. I find that you need to keep the air filters replaced often, change the plugs every 1k hours. I just wish the thing had more oil compacity. bascially 1.5 qts with the big oil filter is a joke. oh well it must work ok.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom