2.5" cool cuffs

2.5" cool cuffs..which would you prefer?

• Total voters

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
do you guys want a latch or a double rotation (like Mike P wants) or what?

if you chose "something else" in the poll, please elaborate with a post on this thread

..L.T.A.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Mikey P said:
No latch just a 360 turn to close it.

I told Joe the same thing on the phone yesterday.

Joe is my new Skype Fag

mikey you should have told him whomever he used for making the first original ones is who he needs to dial up to make all future cuff, no latch is needed with those.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
no latch, no swivel, just twist together be done with it. Typically the 2.5" is laying out in a straight line and doesn't do much to cause it to come apart anyway.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Shane T said:
no latch, no swivel, just twist together be done with it. Typically the 2.5" is laying out in a straight line and doesn't do much to cause it to come apart anyway.

Except, of course, when it's on the reel, in which case you want it to be very secure, i.e. latched together.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Art Kelley said:
[quote="Shane T":29g42000]no latch, no swivel, just twist together be done with it. Typically the 2.5" is laying out in a straight line and doesn't do much to cause it to come apart anyway.

Except, of course, when it's on the reel, in which case you want it to be very secure, i.e. latched together.[/quote:29g42000]

you have never used the original cuffs, these came with no latches, they didn't need them, because they were made well enough to fit tight enough, my 6 year old originals still seal better than a set of brand new ones, in all that time I think they have come apart maybe 3 or 4 times when I didn't want them to, and that was when the hose was really twisted up.

Joe Bristor

Joe here.

tryin not to be ahole.
just lookin for input and feedback.

definitely redoing 2.5, all I have is the swivel, no latch, but latch would be easy and 'should' reult be acceptable - functionally. But if we keep swivel, it's weak. Got first look at some 6-8 month old 2.5 females - totally shot on the inside. comin half unscrewed goin onto the reel. it was ugly! totally not acceptable. I could beef up the ribs and that wouyld help alot. Or we could go to Mike P style and go to a finer thread to allow more rotation.
In fact, we'll rename them Mikey Cuffs if that's what you want. But let's think it thru.

Mike P's way with the full 360 rotation, cuz - latch always on the bottom. But I thought he was thinking swivel for the female, else how you gonna turn it without the torque you creat unscrewing it?
It'd look like 3-stoogies - Moe getting smacked soon as he turns his back. I don't think you'd get 360 much less 720 without it coming right unscrewed. I just dont know.

so we got
1. non swivel, add a latch
2. non swivel 360-720 turn
3. swivel, 360-720

It don't matter to me, just want to get it right.
So I'd be glad to send anybody a few of the current 2.5 swivel sets no charge to give you a fresh look at them in the state they're in.
Far as I known the dog-leg's been fixed. I haven't heard one complaint - except of course Rob Allen.

hogjowl

Idiot™
The swivel 2.5's I have now are great, but I only use one section which is only about 6 foot long and don't roll it up on the reel. So, what can go wrong. If I were using it as normal and rolling it up on the reel and taking it around corners and such in houses, then I would want a latch on it.

That's just me.

Oh, and next week you'll hate Mikey, so don't go naming the stuff after him.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
joe thanks for piping in, anyways who ever made these cuffs for you

003-4.jpg

HAVE THESE SAME PEOPLE MAKE THEM AGAIN FOR YOU!!!!!!! mine are over 6 years old and after sucking up, sewer, nails, chunks of wood, drywall, and basically any and all manner of shit they still seal and fit better than anything you are selling these days even brand new off the shelf. in fact I took the new ones off my primary unit and put the old ones back on my main unit. no latch, it aint needed with these. the sharp lines really have never been a big deal for me, make the 2.5 cuffs just an upscaled version of the ones I have above.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I like the latch on the 2" cuff. Never really had anything else. Have not had a problem with it either.

I do like the 2.5" to 2.5" connector/adaptor

steve g

Name
steve garrett
if you haven't used the cuffs I put in the picture you don't know what a cuff is supposed to do and how it doesn't need the latch, the latch is a bandaid for a poor fitting together or loose fitting cuff, the cuff doesn't have to fit tight if you have the latch and that is why the current models need the latch because they are not made nearly as precise.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I have never had a single problem with the swivels........When I had the latch type I liked the way they worked but after a bit of time it started getting harder and harder to get that latch to unlock.........Never tried the type Steve has pictured........

Mikey P

Administrator
Jim have you used the old style 2.5 swivels for very long?

Joe is sending me 4 sets of the new 2.5s to run through the ringer

and Marty, as long as Joe does not ask me to lie for him, he and I will get along just fine.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I had a 2.5 swivel and it never gave me any problems......I now only use the 2 inch swivels and have been for a really long time problem free............to be honest with you I have had more hose problems then any cuff problems.....I keep snapping the hose a few inches from the cuffs.....May be time for a new hose.....

Joe Bristor

Hi Steve, take a picture of that long ribbed cuff disconnected so we can see the inner workings. OK?

Hi Doug, happy to be here.

"My swivels last about 8 months and then won't stay together."
this is what I saw here locally... but I very seldom hear this input. Who else? Must be everybody?
this is what I'm talkin about. Was that James Hardy? Anyway, you want replacements just let me know.
I'm thinkin 2 yrs on the 2.5" sets and 3-4 on the 2" swivels and maybe 5yrs on the 2" latch.
For sure guys get longer on the latched sets compared to swivels.
I just made swivels cuz anything that helps the hose lay limp is a plus in my book.
Swivels cost more to make sell the same $ so I'd rather make latch, but swivels way outsell latches.

A lot of guys hate the latch.
If it sticks just use WD40.
If swivel sticks, do the same, WD40. there's an oring in there.
But there's no excuse for a swivel coming unscrewed easily at 6-8months.
that's gonna be over with.

I think a good fitting swivel, cared for, is about as good as I'll ever make.
But I love the 360 idea, that's why I'm pushing for swivel+360, even 720.
It wouldn't be any longer, just finer threads.

just sent Mike P 4 x 2.5 swivel sets to start fresh with.

the other part that looks good but is a true pos is the 2.5" starter. China slipped in low grade of polypro on me as gas was going up and I got stuck with these things, more like glass than plastic. so I'll replace any/all of these. I made 2,000 and they're only gonna break when used on the 1-port of the 2.5 Y, but all you gotta do is let it fall out of the van one time and it will shatter ...

steve g

Name
steve garrett
it appears that I was the first guy on this board to ever use cool cuffs, because no one has seen or used the cuffs I am showing at least noone has said so, these I bought in early 04 to the best of my knowledge for another reference it was before saul tried to copy them with the gray cuffs. if you are clamering for the latch you HAVEN'T used these cuffs, they don't need them, the swivel ideal is not needed either, just these simple WELL made cuffs, IMO the problem with the new cuffs if you look carefully at the difference between my originals is the length of the taper on the old ones is TWICE as long, is more gradual and longer, the new ones are short and abrupt, keep in mind these have seen 6 years of hard use, use beyond what any carpet cleaner would do to them. its not uncommon for me to suck up mud and other debris on water damage jobs, and they STILL work better than a new set, these style of cuffs I only remember about 4 times ever coming undone in 6 years when I didn't want them to, and that was rolling up a cluster phuck of a pile of hose. I think anyone here would trade needing the latch if that was how they worked without it.

new style

007-1.jpg

old style

006-1.jpg

notice the far more gradual taper of the old ones.

hogjowl

Idiot™
My original set of cool cuffs was bought some time around 04 or 05 cuz I bought my van in 04 and I still am using that set of cuffs. They look just exactly like the ones you posted.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I keep snapping the hose a few inches from the cuffs.....May be time for a new hose.....

Jim, are you talking about where you connect it to the wand? I had that problem a lot, now I just put on a regular hose cuff and take off the cool cuff. Have had a lot less problems. With the heat and vacuum, the vac hose need some more flexability then the cool cuff would provide.

I tried one of those wrap on things that greenie sold but it didn't help my situation, hose would still collapse.

Joe,
I sometimes find my cool cuffs untiwisting themselves from the vac hose, will good swivels cuffs stop this? It is sometimes a real problems when winding up the vac hose on the reel, One of the vac hose ends will just come flying off.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
my 2.5 in swivels are only a few months old and they come apart all the time when taking in the house. they no longer have that bite. i blame it on the chinese plastic being weak.

gene

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
steve frasier said:
I keep snapping the hose a few inches from the cuffs.....May be time for a new hose.....

Jim, are you talking about where you connect it to the wand? I had that problem a lot, now I just put on a regular hose cuff and take off the cool cuff. Have had a lot less problems. With the heat and vacuum, the vac hose need some more flexability then the cool cuff would provide.

I tried one of those wrap on things that greenie sold but it didn't help my situation, hose would still collapse.

Joe,
I sometimes find my cool cuffs untiwisting themselves from the vac hose, will good swivels cuffs stop this? It is sometimes a real problems when winding up the vac hose on the reel, One of the vac hose ends will just come flying off.

yep.right where I connect to the wand...about 2 inches from the cuff......it is a clean snap.....l

hogjowl

Idiot™
Funny, mine were doing that and I went to the regular cuff to try to prevent it, but I couldn't stand the air leak. The seal on my cool cuffs was better, so I went back to it. I got one of those things from Greenie and it helped. It keeps sliding down my hose, and that drives me crazy, but when I get in a tight situation, like a closet, I make sure it's set against the cuff and my hose doesn't collapse or tear on me anymore.

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
I don't have a dog in 2.5 cuff fight, but whatever you do, don't quit making the cuffs at all. Great product.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
you guys need to keep in mind there is the right vac hose and the wrong vac hose, whatever vac hose greenie recommends is the stuff to get. I don't know who makes it, its not flexhaust but it looks just like it and is way more flexable, never breaks, it just works. then there is the dark blue vac hose with the black between the ribs, this is car wash crap hose. if your cuffs unscrew, just tighten thing all the way down if that still doesn't work just use some clear silicone on the hose and screw that onto the hose.

Joe Bristor

thanks for Good input guys.

Steve F. - I think you're hinting at basic latched 2.5?
More I think about, more I'm with you - the fewer moving parts the better right?
The swivel is sweet if it's working right but does require WD40 maintenance.
I was half done with with a new latched swivel but kinda overkill and even more expensive to produce.
A basic 2.5 latched set could be price less and hold up well. just beef up the bars like the cuff Steve G. likes.

Steve G. -good points. sorry, but we threw away the mold on that one.
Nobody liked the exterior bars.
I have a a couple left. I'll study them closer.
Just not sure if we'll ever make it to last long as yours have.
call Guiness. maybe you were the first and the last.

Silicone or Gorilla glue both good to glue cuffs in place.
just need a tblspoon per cuff so you can break them loose if you need to.

No answer for hose breaking at the wand except turn down heat or get high heat Lil Better 300F
vac hose. Not that it can take 300F but it stood up to guys who were that hot at the truck when I was selling hose, wands & cuffs to to Shawn/Vortex. All you do is ask for "high heat" Lil Better.
My heat shrink sleeves didn't work out too good.
2" Male Swivel for the wand is fairly popular.
2.5 hose more durable at the wand than 2" but it'll kill your shoulder :oops: after awhile.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom