2 inch wands vs 1.5 tubed wands

F

FB7777

2 inch wands vs 1.5 tubed wands

I understand the cfm advantage to running a 2 inch wand, but I really would like the downside from cleaners

Honest evaluations please, day in day out, does anyone prefer the 1.5 tubed wand because of ergonomics?

Does a glide erase any ease of use concerns I have.

Running a 2 inch vac hose to a wand seems like it would be hard on the wrist and more difficult to work with.

Some of this has been discussed over and over but I couldn't find much downside discussed.

I am considering having both a 1.5 and 2 inch on the truck and use the 2 inch for high productivity commercial and open areas at the very least.

feel free to offer opinions on westpak vs cmp as well.

Thanks guys and Merry Christmas!

This is going to be my present to myself.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
If it wasn't for the very flexible 2" hose that I have I'd still be using a 1.5 whip. From what I've heard it doesn't work well with the huge blowers due to that it kinks a lot more often.

Albert

Greenie

I couldn't get Lisa to sling a 1.5", it just wasn't happening, and she is 5'4 with small hands.

There is a large performance difference, it's hard to willingly deliver second best knowing you have better on the truck.

I will say flexible hose is a must.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Here's the deal with 2 inch wands.

Using one has helped me get my dry times down to where I want them to be. I run a 36 blower and needed the help. However, if I had a larger blower (47 or larger), I would play with 2.5 inch leader hose and try to get it to where I could still use a 1.5 inch wand.

The two inch wand and hose (even with a flex leader hose that Greenie sent me) is too heavy on those days when you clean for hours on end. I have been cleaning a large school for the past two weeks. Yesterday, I spent 8 straight hours on the wand with no break. This morning my biceps and wrists feel like I have been wrestling a bear.

I am used to having lower back strain after wanding for an extended period of time, but the arm and wrist pain is new, and clearly associated with the switch to the 2 inch wand and hose.

You know, using a glided wand was the absolute best thing I ever did to help relieve the stress and strain from slinging a wand. However, going up to a 2 inch wand has completely nullified that gain, and added more physical stress in areas previously unaffected

Greenie

I'm thinking Marty is screaming out for a full Titanium 2" wand, cause I don't think it's the lightweight 2" hose. Hang tight Marty.

F

FB7777

thanks for the replies so far, that's what I was thinking Marty.

I have a 2.5 hose coming and will work in a y connector if I'm still not satisfied.

I love the suck @ 50 feet out and want to keep that coming farther out, hopefully the 50 foot 2.5 hose will deliver the goods.

I'm looking for performance without strain.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"I understand the cfm advantage to running a 2 inch wand, but I really would like the downside from cleaners"

weight, if it's not an original Ti.
Even a small amount of heavier weight makes a difference at the end of the day.

Length; the typical 1.5" wand is shorter and easier to maneuver in tight bed rm traffic lanes , bath rooms, etc.

2" hose to the wand;
We've run 2" to the wand forever and are just "used to it".
The little genies have never known what it is to use a whip hose except for uphl.
Biggest draw backs are weight, that extra wt makes it a PITA to detail steps.

2" hose to 1.5" wand and the reducing cuff it requires can be a PITA, too.
The cuff doesn't last long and is stretched out of shape in a short time and doesn't stay on the wand well after stretched out.

When we went to a 2" wand, it seemed VERY large in the grip area and took a bit of getting used to. It seems normal to us now.

We still carry a 1.5" wand as back up, but the only time it gets used is when we're clearing fouled jets on the 2" wand and don't want to stop production.

Comment on the CPM/Westapac, I've only demoed them and not used them in the real world, however their construction and durability is less than your quality Butler wands (if that's what your currently using)

Glides?

If your not a wand agitator and rely on quality pre-sprays dwell and/or mechanical agitation, I'd never run a wand with out one

..L.T.A.

JohnnyV

I'm never going back to the 1.5. There is just such a major difference between the two. I'm a prescrubber and the agitation you lose with a glide makes no difference to me.

Now if your teste's fell off and your left with just a pair of lips hanging down there, then you may want to stay with the smaller wand.

Greenie

Meat,

"The little genies have never known what it is to use a whip hose except for uph.. Biggest draw backs are weight, that extra wt makes it a PITA to detail steps."

Are you referring to hacking out steps with the Ti wand?

For gawd's sake let the Genies use the uph. tool to detail. lol :lol:

JV that was funny, but Marty has a medical issue at hand, I feel for him.
Or he could just work on his personality and hire some help, and focus on the non-wand duties.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"Are you referring to hacking out steps with the Ti wand?"

Yes, we do the tops of steps with the wand, then detail with hand tool in 99.9% resi
2" hose with a hand tool is the biggest PITA that I'm referring to.
The enclosed jet hand tool (not our "internal" jet uph tool) does a better job, but doesn't have the hide-a-hose whip like our uph tool.

Now that we use a 2" wand, we have to grab the whip hose for the hand tool or change the cuff on the 2" hose.
Back in the day before the 2" wand, we didn't bother grabbing the whip

..L.T.A.

hogjowl

Idiot™
There are times when I am cleaning when I wish I was running a whip hose because I'll see an area that I can only clean if I use the stair tool. I used to be able to just pick the darn thing up and use it. Now I have to go get the whip hose and change it out. Time is money.

In response to Greenie ... you may be right. It may be the weight, but I don't think so. I seriously think the problem is in the grip. I think the two inch wand handle is just to big for me to comfortably grip. The funny thing is, my hands are HUGE. So, you'd think it wouldn't be a problem.

You're right about the personality thing too. My wife would hug you if she was allowed out of the kitchen long enough to read this thread.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"but I don't think so. I seriously think the problem is in the grip."

Marty, have you ever tried the pressure washer type valves that strap onto the top of the wand?

Might solve (or help) the pain problem your having, cause you don't grab the barrel of the wand with them

..L.T.A.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
I hate to say it, I'm with Marty and back to a 1.5" wand after using a ti wand for 6 months . 2" DOES give better performance, But my hands were sometimes sore at the end of the day. I now use a 14"Pmf 1.5" wand I use daily equipped with a greenie feather touch(Sissy) Valve that works fine. My customers still get 2-4 hour dry times from my cleaning and that is pretty good. I did try the 2" CMP pimped out greenie wand with a hybrid glide that a friend has. Nice wand in my opinion. My sometime sore hands dictate the wand I use and that is the 1.5" and no whip hose for me.

Mister Sir

Greenie

How about the same wand, in a 1.75" tube, it's quite a bit smaller than 2", especially with some low profile shrink wrap.

Fon Johnson

I think it is about time to talk to Greenie about that 2" wand.. I just keep getting confused about which way to go.

I think I need to have a welder change the port on my tank to a 2.5 inch. I have also wondered about going 3" to the back of the van where we hook up the hose, then go 2.5 inch to the door with 2 inch to the floor. Wonder what difference that would make. We already get good dry times with the little 33 blower.

Jimbo

Fred....Lots of things are 'hard on the wrists'...yet no one stops doing them!

F

FB7777

fair enough Jim, but I'm not familiar with a 2 inch diameter unit tho

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Castex wand with 2 inch flex whip hose.
The castex is a straight wand and is perfect for tall gents because its longer than average.
Easy to push and pull with the standard stainless glides and it comes with
adjustable angle jets and no drip check valves.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Marty;

I'm not a fan of reaching around the 2" tube either.

Try a "GunJet" valve mounted on top of the wand tube and see if it doesn't make the muscles and wrist feel better.

I think the real difference in wand performance is the head design. We use , 1.75" and 2" tubes with low-profile heads and see very little difference in extraction performance.

Merry Christmas to all the Board Members

Larry Cobb

The Preacher

isn't the Prochem Quad jet a 1.75" tube???

i like using a 2" hose to the wand, but the flex hose Duane sold me with my TM crushes about 1 foot behind the cuff :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom