20 years from now....

Mikey P

Administrator
I don't know of too many areas of this industry from home owners to mills, carpet cleaners to distributors or manufacturers that have not been forced to do business a lot differently than they did just 5 years ago just to survive, let alone experience true growth and prosperity. On the food chain a carpet cleaner is perhaps the one entity that has the most flexibility to change the way they do business. Right now the worst place to be in this industry is as a manufacturer or distributor.

I expect to see continued consolidation and ownership changes in manufacturing and aggressive consolidation in the distribution channel. In spite of incremental quarter to quarter improvements in durable goods manufacturing, end user consumption is making an extremely slow comeback. Too slow for the patience of the corporations that “currently” own some of the major manufacturers. There is simply not enough business to justify the equity in some of them in contrast to other areas that offer better returns to their shareholders.

A distributor has substantially more overhead and capital committed than most carpet cleaning companies. If you asked every distributor in this business if they would like to cash out and receive in full payment all the money they currently have invested in the business half or more of them wouldn't waste a minute before they took up the offer. As a carpet cleaner you might choose to fire a customer but a distributor really can’t afford to do the same thing because there are too few of his customers around to lose.

Ask a one or two truck carpet cleaning operator if they would like to be bought out in the same fashion and you might get 10% at best that would take up the offer. Ask a distributor if he would rather be a carpet cleaner or a restorer and I bet half of them would.

20 years from now this industry will be unrecognizable from what it is today so let’s try and make it as less traumatic as possible. By looking across the fence and appreciating what the other sectors are challenged with it just might help you with your own future. We’re all in this together.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
a plea to support the distys .
I can dig that.
However the problem for them is they chose to be in the products selling biz , while the BDCC'r is in the service biz .
We're much more insulated from the double edge sword called "internet commerce "

It's too easy to search the world for the best price on a product .
It's put the large volume dealers that will sell at lower margins in the drivers seat .
Not to mention the "in their underwear" biz's that have sprouted up.
No overhead and does nothing but drop ship

I understand loyalty ..I buy as much as I can from my local disty .
I pay more for many items I know I can get for le$$ elsewhere
But i can't afford to pay hundreds more for a blower or pump or magic HX'er juice with a space age nAme, when I can find the exact same goods for much le$$ with the click of a mouse

The industry is indeed changing , but the biggest change for the widget selling biz has been the I'net

..l.T.A.

F

FB7777

How is this industry and it's relationship to past and future changes different from others?

If I submitted that essay I would expect my professor to write in bold red letters. ...

Where are your supporting facts?

What are your solutions?

And even larger. WHAtS YOUR POINT?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
This industry? How about the world.

I know it hits home here but think about the big picture.

Every major store has a huge online presence.

Some online stores have taken over the industry like Amazon.com and put big box book stores out of business.

In the world of "over night" shipping...Most of the big box stores will be a thing of the past soon....If not already.

I can order just about anything and have it the next business day.

Funny how the "I want it now" mentallity of most of us gets trumped by the "I want it easy" and will wait that 24 hour period to get what they want for a hell of a lot less....If not just more convenient.

As more people enter the world....The less the roads can tolerate them.....The only vehicles we'll see in 20 years are delivery trucks and SOME service vehicles.

If you think big carpet cleaning machines and companies will be around....You are mistaken. Technology is getting so good at making easily cleanable...If not just wipeable or vacuumable surfaces....Who will need the carpet cleaner?

Diversity has always been my way of thinking..."What can I do along with what I'm doing to keep doing what I'm doing".

The one trick ponies will never survive over just barely surviving...Some won't even do THAT well.

Brick and Mortar is expensive, intrusive, a liability to say the least and it.....Like the yellow pages...Are becoming a thing of the past.

Cut and pasted from my pretty little head. !gotcha!

machinejjh

If you think big carpet cleaning machines and companies will be around....You are mistaken. Technology is getting so good at making easily cleanable...If not just wipeable or vacuumable surfaces....Who will need the carpet cleaner?

Dirt will still be dirt, and messy people will still be messy. I haven't seen any material a 5 year old or teenager can't destroy. With every advance in better materials, will come ways to clean it.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Brian- Other than the first few sentences I'd say you were under the trance of some mlm internet freak. Those predictions are about the most absurd thing I've ever read. Do you think before you type?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ken Snow said:
Brian- Other than the first few sentences I'd say you were under the trance of some mlm internet freak. Those predictions are about the most absurd thing I've ever read. Do you think before you type?

Please esplain where I went wrong Mr. Ken.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
As more people enter the world....The less the roads can tolerate them.....The only vehicles we'll see in 20 years are delivery trucks and SOME service vehicles.
While I beleive they will be powered by things other than gasoline in 20 years (maybe not for 30-50 I am sure there will be more not less vehicles on the road. The US has a relatively small population for its landmass

If you think big carpet cleaning machines and companies will be around....You are mistaken. Technology is getting so good at making easily cleanable...If not just wipeable or vacuumable surfaces....Who will need the carpet cleaner? This has been tossed around since I was a pup in the industry, hasn't happened yet and I can't imagine it will.

The one trick ponies will never survive over just barely surviving...Some won't even do THAT well. Not sure ho you define a one trick pony. I don't know any, but I have seen a lot of people fail at a lot of things because they never focused on being good, better, best at a few things- not saying you can't be the exception.

Brick and Mortar is expensive, intrusive, a liability to say the least and it.....Like the yellow pages...Are becoming a thing of the past.
Not sure how brick and mortar is intrusive and expensive is a subjective term. There are benefits to having both esp if selling hard goods that people want to touch and choose for themselves like groceries, rugs, etc. Many businesses are better using their floorspace to do more sampling with the actual purchase being online (web based). This allows for lots more display without the corresponding back stock of things in 20 different sizes and colors.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I agree with the purple dude.

As far as brick and mortar stores sure internet sales are taking a bite but when you need service & parts ASAP or chemicals for a job today or heavy, large items where you actually pay a premium for shipping one off vs. a truck load then the internet isn't cheaper or faster

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
:roll:

Ken, The roads were more directed at the congestion of the city etc. It was an exaggeration for sure...Just to prove a point.

I see floors now that don't need pro cleaners...just spray and wipe.

Carpets are another story...For now.

The one trick ponies (excuse the term) are the people who put all their eggs in one basket.

Your groceries etc will surely have stores and some other types of products but you can see where Barnes and Noble was taken out by amazon....The Kindle takes away hard books etc.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
a book store is a poor choice to say the B & M are going away....you dont need to touch and feel, take for a test spin, a book..online reading is just as easy...

but I like going out and buying something i have tried in store....then if i want....return it and that day get something else....rather then wait up to a week each way.

like cell phones....while you can get them online....you still need the standing stores to get them fixed NOW....

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Erskine Allin said:
I understand loyalty ..I buy as much as I can from my local disty .
I pay more for many items I know I can get for le$$ elsewhere
But i can't afford to pay hundreds more for a blower or pump or magic HX'er juice with a space age nAme, when I can find the exact same goods for much le$$ with the click of a mouse ..l.T.A.
I Agree.
With the caveat that it is a two way street. Local distributors that offer exceptional service and fair pricing should do well. I support them, but they have to be there for me when I need them.

Fred Boyle said:
How is this industry and it's relationship to past and future changes different from others?
If I submitted that essay I would expect my professor to write in bold red letters. ...
Where are your supporting facts?
What are your solutions?

And even larger. WHAtS YOUR POINT?
And nobody makes his point clearer than Fred. Concise, slightly brutal, yet always to the point.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Brian your points had nothing to do with what I was talking about or what I responded to you about. Yes the internet and ability to get news, info, books etc., online vs in paper form have changed the publishing industry, but in many cases they are thriving even more through their online presense. As for cell phones and other things maybe there are a gorup of people tat will buy unseen and untouched but I think most still want o at least touch and feel before they buy (whether directly or online) which will keep a need for brick and mortar.

Things are always changing, heck we didn't have this MLM board prior to 5 year ago. You had to go to the back of cheezy magazines to find all the get rich schemes, but now we have mikeysboard. As much as Mikey is obsessed with putting down another bulletin board owner's antics can you imagine the amount of ammo that these threads give them everyday?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I hear ya.

If you have a get rich quick scheme that works, let me know about it. !gotcha!

I've yet to see one.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
The people that talk about how fast this industry is changing tend to be selling repackaged old technology.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Brian R said:
I hear ya.

If you have a get rich quick scheme that works, let me know about it. !gotcha!

I've yet to see one.

The members of this board on Brian's computer

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I've never mentioned a get rich quick program at all.

Quite the contrary...But some read what they want to read. Right Dave? !gotcha!

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
well, if there are many others out there like myself, I've found , myself buying less and less from my local supplier. This past year I've bought a couple gallons of juice, some jets, and took some tools in for maintenance. Most of my supply dollars go abroad, since most stuff comes from the US anyway.

One of the main reasons I don't deal with my local disty is that they are so out of date. I showed the tech my greenhorn with 5-03jets and looked at me like I was a fool. Its not the first time he's seen a GH, he had a couple in his shop from another company here in town. I have to guage what I've learned on the board with what I can learn there. Another instance was in 05, Bridgepoint just came out with Maxim Protectant. Saw the product at Connections, got some demo samples etc, but my local disty hadn't even heard about it yet.

Its just as important for the distributor to keep up to date as for us, even more so if they want to gain trust and retain customers.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
There are excellent, good, marginal and bad in every business type and supply chain Ron. Sounds like you have one of those old fashioned janitorial supply house kinda places. We have them here too and don't do business with them either.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I buy 80% of my supplies from my local guy but he does regularly attend distributor meetings and has the new products. Plus he's only 15-minutes away! 8)

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
http://www.vacaway.com for chems

Hruby...for the machine

http://www.Encapestore.com for pads, sprayers, advice and other goodies

Mikey's Board for info. :shock:

Another board that I can't mention here without a good paddling. :oops:

http://www.gotprint.com for business cards and other

http://www.Dell.com for computer stuff

www.squareup.com for some credit card processing

www.authorize.net for heavy card processing

www.shakeoffweight.com for weight loss protein shakes

www.my1pro.com for online advertising

http://www.getyourservices.com for essential services like cell phones, electricity, internet etc.

The list goes on and on and on and so forth.

Just sayin.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom