2000 Chevy Express Cargo Van`

F

FB7777

Over the weekend, my 2000 3500 van dumped all its oil

My mechanic spun on a new filter, started up the motor and within minutes the filter blew off

Waiting on a new oil pump, but my mechanic warned me that it could need a new motor, as he had this similar problem with another van recently

I could see the oil pump valve being closed and building up pressure and causing the filter to blow but the engine being done???

The van has been running great, no oil leaks, only 105K miles ( but it does have a PTO)

I'll know tomorrow, I guess if the new oil pump solves the issue.

Do you think my mechanic is trying to make his mortgage payment on me this month? :shock:

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Are you sure someone didn't strip the threads on the filter base. Doesn't seem very possible that an oil pump could make enough pressure to blow a filter off.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
Shane i think has the idea.. an oil filter has a bypass built into it to let excess pressure by because in high rpms the oil wouldnt be able to filter fast enough. so the bypass would let the excess pressure and oil go by.. so i am in agreement.. probably the treads are stripped.. a bad oil pump doesnt make more pressure when it goes bad. it makes less.

F

FB7777

Mechanic replaced oil pump, cleaned out oil pan ( small amount of sludge ), installed new pan gasket.

She ran all day today like a champ!

I think he just threw out the possible engine replacement so I wouldn't mind the $600 repair & towing bill :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom