2010 GMC Butler Van gets its 3rd fuel pump

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I used to have frequent fuel pump failures in my old GMC pro1200 because I would wait 2-3 days to fill up. Now I fill up every day in my 03 Express because I use more than 1/2 a tank of gas each day. The fuel pump has only gone out once in the 10 years. That seems to be the difference. The design is to cool the fuel pump with the gasoline in the tank. I don't know why the whole thing doesn't catch fire.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence
Name
Steve Lawrence
that would be a bmc issue not butler wouldnt it?..they should be covering it under warranty i hope?

i have 2 2007 butlers and knock on wood..no fuel pump issues..radiator and water pump but thats it.

I'm wondering if the heat under the van created by running the Butler all day contributes to the pumps early failure. Sadly, this time it's out of warranty by one month.

Name
PHILIP NICK
Refill at 1/2 tank. I'm sure you know that the fuel provides the lubrication and the cooling for the pump so anything less than 1/2 a tank can allow for the fuel to slosh away from the pump intake causing a second or two of dry running that will add up to heavier wear and tear over time.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
GM had a problem with fuel pumps in 2004 and earlier vans that was attributed to a faulty design. They changed the part number and fuel pump failure has been rare since then. Overheating failure is usually caused by the filter getting clogged, which is conveniently located in the tank as part of the pump assembly. You might try either getting gas somewhere else or installing an external in-line filter to pick up some of the debris that might be the culprit.

I'd like to think the mechanic would have mentioned a clogged filter though, so maybe it would be worth the trouble to check your receipts and make sure they aren't using the old part number.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom