3 for $99 or EVERYTHING FOR $499

steve_64

I was building a fence and working in the yard after cleaning the dealership carpets.

Mama Fen

Name
Amy Barnes
It's a fine line to walk between upselling on a "basic package" and getting a reputation as a bait-n-switch. Pre-walking and setting a reasonable expectation is crucial - telling the custy beforehand that "this spot may not come out with basic cleaning" is professionalism - telling them afterward, it becomes an excuse.

Package deals are a great way to increase average ticket, as long as the package doesn't drop you below an hourly rate that satisfies your business needs. And customers need to know that "packages" don't mean that all extra cleaning steps like filtration lines, urine spots, et al are included. Sometimes they hear the word "package" and think it means EVERYTHING.

EDDM can assist with penetration, provided it's targeting areas that contain a customer base you want. Flooding an area where the average housing is under median won't garner you big tickets... but targeting high-end areas will. Even if your return is on the low side (5%), if your average ticket is high then your investment gets you a profit. The same 5% on a low-paying base is going to take much more work to profit from, if at all.

In this area, if you're not making $150 every time you get in the truck and turn the keys, you're barely breaking even. When guys do an honest cost of doing business breakdown, between maintenance and repairs, fuel, insurance, wages (if they have employees), taxes, consumables, and everything else associated with being a business, they need to be earning at least $120 per hour to pay themselves a livable salary.

And sadly, a lot of them aren't even close.

F

FB7777

Fire up your resume Wood

5 years from now you’ll be doing something else

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
All you big boys have been making fun of the "3 for $99" type of advertising, until Mikey started kissing the franchises' asses. Now, when a little Owner/op like me thinks outside the box and suggests an opposite type of marketing, I get criticized.

Like I said before, $499 isn't the specific number...just like $99 isn't the bottom dollar on that type of marketing. It's just something to catch the eye of a different class of customers if it's marketed in the right class of people.

So tell me Fred, where was your business when you were in your mid to late 30's?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Mine currently is $205, and I’m on a steady rise.

Go ahead, have fun. Another reason I thought about that marketing. I know it needs to be more

Reactions: JohnHawkP

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton
Mine currently is $205, and I’m on a steady rise.

Go ahead, have fun. Another reason I thought about that marketing. I know it needs to be more

That's great Matt.

Of the $205 how much does the add on comprise?
$20, $30, $40 $0?

Last edited:
F

FB7777

My residential job average is around $350 last time I checked

Last time I advertised was the Yellow Pages back in the early 2000s

Don’t pay any mind to me Matt, if you’re looking to be more than a 2 truck small town shop then advertise price to coupon clippers

My statement was an overal assessment of your concept and speed inwhich you believe you can perform those services

I don’t think you’ll be around in 5 years but wtf would you care what I think

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
5 rooms, 2hrs max. Sofa, loveseat, recliner: 1.5hr max. Kitchen tile, 30min. That's only 4hrs, maybe 4.5. Where are you getting your numbers?

If your ok with a $100 an hour then go for it. But that’s about all you’ll make when you factor in the time spent devolping this package, the cost of the postcards and postage etc.

But, why not throw out your real number instead is saying $500 was just a number?

Give us the real package you’d present. You kind of asked for it by posting here without the actual offer.

I think your time and financial resources would be better spent marketing to higher end clients that don’t shop based on a package or deal.

And, you aren’t a big franchise. They can offer these types of deals because they have figured out how to leverage them. I’ve never seen Mike suggest an O/O model their business off a large franchise. I view his collaboration with them as a way to elevate the industry as a whole. If they up their game and have better reputations it helps the industry as a whole.

Many years ago someone interviewed Tiger Woods. When he was at the top of the golf world. He continued to practice, refine and perfect his game. He was asked why when he was at the top. He responded that other players were studying him. That they watched what he did and began implementing his techniques. If he didn’t constantly push to get even better, they’d catch up. He raised the bar for the whole golf community.

I think it’s fantastic that o/o and th big guys have come to work together on things. The big guys are paying attention and have got on board with lots of innovations that started out with o/o like like zipper wands and seal a doors. And many o/o have leaned from the big guys that have opened the doors to their facilities for tours and work side by side at Mike’s events.

Your biggest competition is you....and the thoughts in your head. Stop worrying about what others are doing or that Mike is a sell out for collaborating with national franchises.

And if you post hear looking for feedback, then be prepared to accept what you get. The good and the bad. We are here because we want each other to thrive and succeed. If many think its a bad idea, listen to them.

If you want to do your thing and prove everyone wrong, then do it and post about your success afterwards. But, you asked for opinions and got them. Just seems to me you didn’t get what you were fishing for and now you’re panties are in a bunch.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
If your ok with a $100 an hour then go for it. But that’s about all you’ll make when you factor in the time spent devolping this package, the cost of the postcards and postage etc.

But, why not throw out your real number instead is saying $500 was just a number?

Give us the real package you’d present. You kind of asked for it by posting here without the actual offer.

I think your time and financial resources would be better spent marketing to higher end clients that don’t shop based on a package or deal.

And, you aren’t a big franchise. They can offer these types of deals because they have figured out how to leverage them. I’ve never seen Mike suggest an O/O model their business off a large franchise. I view his collaboration with them as a way to elevate the industry as a whole. If they up their game and have better reputations it helps the industry as a whole.

Many years ago someone interviewed Tiger Woods. When he was at the top of the golf world. He continued to practice, refine and perfect his game. He was asked why when he was at the top. He responded that other players were studying him. That they watched what he did and began implementing his techniques. If he didn’t constantly push to get even better, they’d catch up. He raised the bar for the whole golf community.

I think it’s fantastic that o/o and th big guys have come to work together on things. The big guys are paying attention and have got on board with lots of innovations that started out with o/o like like zipper wands and seal a doors. And many o/o have leaned from the big guys that have opened the doors to their facilities for tours and work side by side at Mike’s events.

Your biggest competition is you....and the thoughts in your head. Stop worrying about what others are doing or that Mike is a sell out for collaborating with national franchises.

And if you post hear looking for feedback, then be prepared to accept what you get. The good and the bad. We are here because we want each other to thrive and succeed. If many think its a bad idea, listen to them.

If you want to do your thing and prove everyone wrong, then do it and post about your success afterwards. But, you asked for opinions and got them. Just seems to me you didn’t get what you were fishing for and now you’re panties are in a bunch.
I really don’t know what kind of package specifically there’d be to present at such a high number. I was just thinking outside the box. I’ll agree, y’all are good at giving out the good and bad, and that’s why I love it here. If I didn’t get slapped in the face with reality, I’d still be in my 2015slump that I was in when I first came here

My business is really in a sharp climb up in sales and repeat, and I’m just trying to take the opportunity in raising my prices. I want my average per hour to be no lower than $150/hr. I have a lot of older customers that just want the minimum and it’s hard to add on some services to make that minimum average ticket climb faster. That was another reason I was curious if this type of advertising would work.

Reactions: Mikey P

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Hourly, job, or daily average all have their points.

I always liked to look at my average to be per day, because all jobs are different sizes and if one job is a minimum, then you could schedule the job after that to be 350-500, or whatever crazy number you west coasters want to put in.

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
Job average is meaningless unless you add to it how long that average job took and the drive time to & from.

im a bit of a dummy but everyone's cost of doing business would be drastically different i would imagine based on demographics.

would it be a more accurate average based off of net dollars vs gross? or am i missing something? your driving times sound right since it considers expenses

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom