4th fuel pump for 2010 GMC van.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Expensive and disruptive! Get it together GM!

(Butler unit)

Any other 2010 owners with similar stuff?

Same for my 2011.

GM wouldn't warranty this Last one as my warranty dealer dropped them and went to another dealership. New dealership wouldn't even look at it for over 2 week's so fixed myself and filed complaint.

Have liked everything else about my GMs but this newer one pushing all my buttons

Have heard of the fuel pumps MELTING in the tanks!

There will be a law suit someday... And I will get on board... Keeping my receipts!

All my other GMs.... Bullet proof.

I have heard they farmed out electrical parts to Mexico and the connectors are not able to handle the minimum voltage required. So a 15 amp will really only handle 10 amps or less...

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Are you guys filling your tanks every day? I only had to replace mine once in 11 years on my 03 but I don't let it get much below 1/2 full of gas. I used to run my 87 almost to empty and had to replace fuel pumps every 2 years.

hydracat

I had one last about 11 hours. Fixed it on the side of I-5 because I still had the old one in the back of the truck. They replaced it but when I put the new one in I forgot to hook up the sending unit wires so I thought I was getting 88 miles to the gallon until it ran out of gas. (dam). Dropped the tank on the side of the road again and realized my stupidity. Real hot gal gave me a ride to the gas station and then took me to her business to clean up the dirt and grime off my face, about half a block. Last thing she said was, "wow you clean up GOOD! Now if you'll excuse me I have to meet with my staff."

Always remember the difference between psi, and volume. Low psi wont have much of an effect, but low volume will drop the rpm's more significantly.

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
Welcome to the club! Dating back to my 97 Chev 2500, I have replaced fuel pumps in every GM van (4) that I have owned. My mechanic showed me the melted wire(s) inside the fuel module in 1998, when I repaced the first of many. Most of the replacements were warranted for 12 months, and I used that several times over the years. Some lasted longer, replacement with labour was in the $700.00 range.I saved the first module as 'evidence' then got tired of it kicking around and threw it out. Biggest single issue with GM/CHEV.

Name
Steve Lawrence

Yes, Mark, my connector melted, too. Entire bill was $942 plus $67 for tow and two days lost use of unit.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Changing your fuel filter every 15,000 miles will take some strain and load off of the fuel pump.
Filtering today's gas is different than it use to be.

Direct drive guys even more often.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
If my 03 Chevy Express had a chronic fuel pump problem, and it cost $1000 to get repaired, this is the brokedick solution I would pursue. Ya need a short metal blade on a sawzall. Cut a hole in the floor above the gas tank.
"They quoted me $1000. I's like, it's my third one. I ain't gonna do that agin." LOL

N2aEAeUNVLU

[video=youtube_share;N2aEAeUNVLU]http://youtu.be/N2aEAeUNVLU[/video]

Last edited:

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
The access doors are great unless your TM is parked on top of it.

I looked at a used van once and when I rolled back the mat there was a access door cut in the floor.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
I was told by my mechanic to run 93 in the van and to use fuel additive because the ethanol destroys the seals inside the pumps and they run hard all the time once this happens and they overheat and burn up wires, plugs, or the pump itself fails. So run an ethanol additive.

other part is if you guys get gas at old gas stations they have steel tanks and you can pick up rust. new gas stations have fiberglass tanks.

I change my fuel filter every year, and it always has a lot of stuff in it.

the new vans 2010 or newer shouldn't have nearly as much problem since they were made to run ethanol fuels. and the newest vehicles can run even higher blends. Flex fuel vehicles of course were made to run 85% ethanol and should have the least problems.

hope this helps

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom