5,000sq foot solo

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Finally landed in the Commercial Market Place
Call me a weiner but dang that was alot of wand slinging, thank God for The SteamGenie, O2, my Mytee Inline Sprayer and Glided GreenHorn :clap:
Next time, i'm packing a lunch, sheesh

$100 an hour fellas WOOT WOOT

Chris

Name
BradFenstermaker
You made enough money to grab a Ibuprophen Blast for the back. LOL Yes if your not used to those long straight wanding jobs, it can put a hurt on ya.

Where are you located in TN?? I am outside of Chattanooga.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
You made enough money to grab a Ibuprophen Blast for the back. LOL Yes if your not used to those long straight wanding jobs, it can put a hurt on ya.

Where are you located in TN?? I am outside of Chattanooga.

Brad,
We are in Jonesborough Tn. The Oldest Town in TN. This Job was in Johnson City though.

And your right, my mind was all over it but about 3000 ft into it I liked to died, lol. Still have some learning to do, But I guarantee I will be packing a lunch next time.

Thanks Guys, you really give us noobs the extra push to succeed : )

Mikey, Yes Sir !

Chris

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Call me a weiner but dang that was alot of wand slinging, thank God for The SteamGenie, O2, my Mytee Inline Sprayer and Glided GreenHorn :clap:

Chris

We did about a 12,000 sf'er yesterday morning, but we dual wanded and had an extra guy to relieve us on the wand. Some of the rooms had wood flooring. You wonder how Attorneys ever find your files??? desk6_zps39d0cc94.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GCCLee
Name
BradFenstermaker
Chris your feet are wet know for commercial. It is great work and good pay 99% of the time. Even better time the 2nd cleaning and so on.

Good idea on sack lunch, I keep snacks on hand for the big jobs. Snicker's and anything peanut butter for me. I agree with the follow up after a couple days. Never hurts to ask the contact there for any friends in the business that may need some cleaning.

Amazing who knows who when you ask. You are probably 4 hrs away from me.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
5000 by yourself can be a butt kicker when slinging a wand. Congrats, that a good job!

Thank Ya Sir! We can dual wand but the wife unit was at her day job for this one. Plus I wanted to see if I could hang. Just barely, lol
Followed up today, check is already in the mail : )

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
don ya jus love the greenhorn Chris?
an' don worry....the next 5000 will be easier!

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Chris you need to add a Cimex to your wish list of tools. 5,000 sq/ft with a Cimex would have cut your time in half and you wouldn't have nearly as much wear & tear on your body. Direct glue down carpet also looks really great with encap and dries really fast too.

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan

Chris

How many hours did it take?

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
How many hours did it take?

No you just didn't : (
5 wanding and I hit the tile entrance on my way out with the Rotovac which was right at 45sq for an extra $75

My shoe size is 9 1/2 and I weigh in at 135 , dang near Zero body fat bubba

Bob Vawter Special Built SteamGenie

I have been eyeing the Cimex Doc, not financially ready yet.

Today I made $25 an hour and got a whooping from an occupied rat nasty 2br apt = 3 hours mostly on my knees with an iron fighting a losing battle with 12yr olf furniture stains and what looked like someone had previously cleaned with rusty water. This was after they returned a Rug Doctor. I threw the wand down to start and you could hear the truck gurgling like a water damage call. Craigslist was not my friend!!

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
.10 a sq ft for that job? I asked partly because I still struggle with commercial pricing. Wondering if I'm charging enuff. Commercial is a small percentage of my work. I average Round .18 sq ft depending on job. I feel like I'm cleaning 1000 sq ft an hr with a wand. Really feel I should be charging .20-.25 sq ft.

Last edited:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
.10 a sq ft for that job? I asked partly because I still struggle with commercial pricing. Wondering if I'm charging enuff. Commercial is a small percentage of my work. I average Round .18 sq ft depending on job. I feel like I'm cleaning 1000 sq ft an hr with a wand. Really feel I should be charging .20-.25 sq ft.

Tman,
I feel ya now, Yes .10 is what it normally takes for our area in the comm market. I don't like it either especially since we purchase and use high end chems instead of purple power from sams club. I look at it as foot in the door, keep my head down and continue to fight the fight. We have landed a few jobs that bring higher returns, but we have also been beat out by the hacks many times over pricing. I will throw everything on the truck at my jobs to ensure it can't be cleaned any better reguardless of price, return customer base is building and so is our name.

it's dog eat dog out there and really depends on how hungry you get.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Commercial is all about production rates regardless of method. Some methods are easier on the body but even with HWE you can do things to take some of the wear and tear off you.

1) A helper, if you are a one man crew and you have a large project find a friend, neighbor or relative and pay him to help. There is always someone wanting extra cash, put them to work. Not a hose holder either, train them to run the wand and give you a break.

2)Powerheads can help, not only will it clean better but it will be easier on you.

3) Drag wand, yea its old school and may not be for everyone but they sure are nice at eating up sq/ft and they leave the carpet so dry, it works out well for corporate settings.

That's assuming you are already using a Green Glide, if not a glide is #1!

As far as pricing, you need to decide on what you can live with hourly and at what rate can you consistently produce.

Lets say you're happy with $90.00 an hour and you know you can consistently crank out 800sq/ft all day long.
$90.00 divided by 800sq/ft =.1125

.11 cents a sq/ft is what you should price it.

Increase production or increase your hourly target and the rate you charge can go up or down.

Say you want $120.00 an hour and you can consistently clean 1,500sq/ft all day long (with a Cimex)

$120.00 divided by 1,500sq/ft=.08sq/ft

IF the carpet is only lightly soiled and you can clean 2,000sq/ft an hour and still charge .08......that's $160.00 an hour.

You can clean for .08sq/ft and make $160.00 an hour.....whuta country. :winky:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom