5.9 blower with small waste tank?

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
20200112_160209.jpg
I'm replacing my 2008 Sprinter high top with a Ford Transit 250 low roof. The TM inside the 2008 Sprinter is a 5.9 blower with a 110 gallon waste tank. This waste tank is is too tall for it the transit.
I have a 2013 Sprinter high top which has
a TM with a 5.6 blower and 85 gallon waste tank. This TM"s waste tank will fit in the low top transit.
Should i just switch waste tanks? This would mean a 5.9 blower is with a 85 gallon waste tank and a 5.6 blower is with a 110 gallon waste tank;
Or just go through the hassle of doing 2 slide-in Remove and installs?

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Both blowers will likely run close the same HG. The difference will be in the volume of air moved. The smaller tank may be more restrictive because of baffles and filters.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Both blowers will likely run close the same HG. The difference will be in the volume of air moved. The smaller tank may be more restrictive because of baffles and filters.

Thats my concern. The 5.9 has so much air flow and lift with the big tank already that I have to run 4 to the door so that the engine and blower dont bog down. Running the engine a lower rpm seems to strain the system as well.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
I guess i could try the 5.9/small tank and 5.6 big tank configuration 1st. And switch TM later if i feel the need.
Or maybe chop the big tank a few inches to make it fit.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I think you're over thinking it

again, not an engineer or a fizzicks major...BUTT the lion's share of "restriction" on the vac system is at the narrowest/smallest opening .... the wand slot, which is like 2 sq inches.

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Doug Cox

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I once had a unit with a tank that was designed for a smaller blower but the manufacturer put it with a larger blower. It caused a problem with pulling waste water through the blower long before the tank was near full. (pressure on one end of tank and vacuum on the other). Once I made larger openings in the baffles there was no further problem.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
It caused a problem with pulling waste water through the blower long before the tank was near full. (pressure on one end of tank and vacuum on the other). Once I made larger openings in the baffles there was no further problem.

I believe that was one of the warts on the Poweclean Genesis
(at least the early ones)
sucking swill at 67.9936% of capacity

..L.T.A.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I believe that was one of the warts on the Poweclean Genesis
(at least the early ones)
sucking swill at 67.9936% of capacity

..L.T.A.
Mine was the Victory with the 47. Your right, they had all the plumbing chocked way down. I went though it and open everything up. It was a screamer then. Couldn't keep belts on it for more than 40 hours before, after it would go 1500 hours.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
View attachment 96283
I'm replacing my 2008 Sprinter high top with a Ford Transit 250 low roof. The TM inside the 2008 Sprinter is a 5.9 blower with a 110 gallon waste tank. This waste tank is is too tall for it the transit.
I have a 2013 Sprinter high top which has
a TM with a 5.6 blower and 85 gallon waste tank. This TM"s waste tank will fit in the low top transit.
Should i just switch waste tanks? This would mean a 5.9 blower is with a 85 gallon waste tank and a 5.6 blower is with a 110 gallon waste tank;
Or just go through the hassle of doing 2 slide-in Remove and installs?
Thats not how Matt would have parked.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Thats my concern. The 5.9 has so much air flow and lift with the big tank already that I have to run 4 to the door so that the engine and blower dont bog down. Running the engine a lower rpm seems to strain the system as well.
You need to add a small controlled air leak at the van vacuum plumbing to reduce that stress. That will keep the blower from bogging down I guarantee you. When I say small use a short inline tube with 4 -1/4" holes drilled in it.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
You need to add a small controlled air leak at the van vacuum plumbing to reduce that stress. That will keep the blower from bogging down I guarantee you. When I say small use a short inline tube with 4 -1/4" holes drilled in it.
do you mean in addition to the pressure relief valve?

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I'm not an engineer John, but don't think it matters to the blower.
and would suspect any tank engineered to handle the HG a 56 is capable of would certainly handle a 59

..L.T.A.
Leave the list settings the same you'll be ok

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom