$5k

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
If you had 5k and had to start over from scratch, how would you spend it ?

Would you go commercial, or residential or both ?

Name
Bill Soukoreff
For $5000, I would buy a Cimex and go after higher end property management companies that specialize in condos and try to get all the common areas.

Greenie

To be fair (nothing wrong with a cimex), but i would buy a second hand Commercial Op machine like the Hruby Orbot, and if I couldn't find one used then just buy new, then I could service comm just as well, and also do other type of work to make money, then put the savings into chems (cause you will need them) and pads and Marketing.

And yes I would initially focus on commercial, and then do "both" as time went on. I don't think most guys lay down a good enough base of annual contracts before moving on to residential....and when I say residential, I'm referring to rentals and prop. mgmt. work initially, not Mrs. Piffelton's castle.

The rental market is great to cut your teeth and learn some stuff while making money and developing your spiel, that's a big "should do" in the beginning before putting the time into developing a loyal resi biz.

If you can't make a go of this biz in commercial, you never will in residential.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I would buy a recoil xps and a 175. would also buy a heater if I had enough money. does the van get included in the 5k? would also have to have a glided wand and a vacuum and a pump sprayer :lol:

Greenie

Not to pick on ya Junior, but if you had to buy new, and you had to buy and extractor, the M5 would allow you to buy everything you listed with the money you saved from just the recoil.

Now back to commercial machines, cause comm. glue down is crying out for other equip.

Scott Rogers

you could by a M5 and one of Clarks CBMs for about 5k. that should cover about all possible situations you might encounter. Cimex is nice but some mills still refuse to allow them or OP or Rotaries. All mills accept the CBM.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Why not put that 5K into a used TM and be done with it. If you've already done the TM route, you're just settling.

Put down 5K on a Leasing package...even with bad credit if you find a TM and van thats only 10k with 5k down you could definitly get approved for sure...you probably would be able to get approved for 15k with 5k down....

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
If you had 5k and had to start over from scratch, how would you spend it ?

for you or "in general"

since you started the thread, my suggestions will apply to you specifically, since i know you're a sharp dude AND can spin a wrench..
If that shoe fits others, they can wear it just as well too.

buy a used van with mega miles, but still looks reasonably clean.
You can find them at auction for $1,00 to 2000 all day long.
Come get this 12,000 hour reTIRED Powermatic for $CHEAP$ I have and refurbish it.
(it's all there and ran when I retired it)
Put lots of sweat equity in it and scrounge up some good used parts and you'll have enough money left over for;
a good used 17" rotary
biz cards, fliers/post cards
liability ins

Would you go commercial, or residential or both ?

yes..all of the above and more

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Mikey P said:
Offering that crusty old Problematic to him is worse then insulting his Gammy IMO.

don't be a dickhEd "all" the time

it's no wonder all your friends talk dirt about you.....behind your back.... :shock:

..L.T.A.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Commercial and Orbot. With the Orbot you could also clean residential if you had to, but I'd stick with commercial until I could purchase a TM for residential.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Greenie said:
Not to pick on ya Junior, but if you had to buy new, and you had to buy and extractor, the M5 would allow you to buy everything you listed with the money you saved from just the recoil.

Now back to commercial machines, cause comm. glue down is crying out for other equip.
were talking abourt starting off with a limited budget. I found a used recoil for 2k so that makes it a relistic possability. plus the 175 would allow you to do other applications such as encap , bonnet cleaning , and pre/post hwe padding. I stand by my choice greenie

Farenheit251

Go commercial including prop management.
Most cleaners don't realize how hard it is going to be to build a residential base.
Many customers clean on a whim every few years or use a pro once when carpet is still relatively new.
Many replace flooring.
Some fall on hard financial times.
Some move away.
Some you can't make look that great.
Some forget your name.
Some have a friend,neighbor relative get in the biz.
Some get seduced by coupons.
Some don't realize the quality of your work until they try another.

It is either going to take time,alot of money or exceptional marketing to build a residential base. Commercial is going to give you time and money.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Stephen I won't post your price on here but just know that no one else will ever get that price. List is $2505

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom