6 Reasons To Like A Day Full Of Apts/Empties...

Name
Dale Compton
1- You don't have to be in "Sales Mode" all day.
2- You can wear jeans.
3- Nobody standing over your shoulder watching you.
4- Running behind ? No problem.
5- Didn't have to move any furniture.

And best of all in my opinion...

6- I didn't have to shave today.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
So you sat on yur hiney all week and they slammed ya on friday, huh. I love it when they do that.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
1- You don't have to be in "Sales Mode" all day.
2- You can wear jeans.
3- Nobody standing over your shoulder watching you.
4- Running behind ? No problem.
5- Didn't have to move any furniture.

And best of all in my opinion...

6- I didn't have to shave today.

As a business owner I'm always in sales mode..
(neighbors could be seeing you/asking you to come give price or opinion)

I (almost) never wear jeans if I'm doing work related things even if its empties..
(you don't know who you're going to run into)

I always try to make sure I shave..
(for the same reasons above).

Other than that, I agree with your other points.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
This cold Winter has hit us pretty hard. As bad as I want to get away from apartment work, they keep me moving a little. Resi work has all but stopped and I don't want to be in the restoration biz. I try to stay looking sharp because you never know who you will run into but I definitely like the more laid back environment. I've got to do better at putting $ away for the winter or find another way to make $. Maybe duct cleaning? Maybe save all summer and spend January in Costa Rica?

The Clean Machine

Reactions: TomKing and Jerry
Name
Dale Compton
I guess this is a whole different thread, but I like apartments. We did 11 at 4 different complexes today. Averaged $88 per unit. I think if you're going to do apartments you got to go wide open and do all you can get. Don't half-ass it with just 2-3 complexes. Then it does feel like a waste of time. I think by spring I will have one van/guy doing only apts. I'm no expert there are plenty of guys/companies here that specialize in them.

Reactions: Mikey P and Willy P

Chris A

Name
Chris
This cold Winter has hit us pretty hard. As bad as I want to get away from apartment work, they keep me moving a little. Resi work has all but stopped and I don't want to be in the restoration biz. I try to stay looking sharp because you never know who you will run into but I definitely like the more laid back environment. I've got to do better at putting $ away for the winter or find another way to make $. Maybe duct cleaning? Maybe save all summer and spend January in Costa Rica?

The Clean Machine

It gets better, I promise. Every year you'll get a little busier in the winter but you will still bitch about being slow. Putting money away helps but it's always gonna be tough on you. After awhile you're nerves get fried and you quit worrying about it.

Reactions: Russ T.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I guess this is a whole different thread, but I like apartments. We did 11 at 4 different complexes today. Averaged $88 per unit. I think if you're going to do apartments you got to go wide open and do all you can get. Don't half-ass it with just 2-3 complexes. Then it does feel like a waste of time. I think by spring I will have one van/guy doing only apts. I'm no expert there are plenty of guys/companies here that specialize in them.

I will only do them if they pay my price, You have a decent rate. I'm not looking to get a bunch at rock bottom prices.

Then again I had my best january ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That's a good rate especially when you knocking so many down a day. We have thousands of the here in a college market. But you won't get them at that rate here, its super competitive. Not only are the apartments going cheap but they want "give me's" too. Mattress and box cheap, steps included...lots of nickle and diming. Everyone fighting over it too. Butcher work but that's expected at what they pay.

Name
Dale Compton
That's a good rate especially when you knocking so many down a day. We have thousands of the here in a college market. But you won't get them at that rate here, its super competitive. Not only are the apartments going cheap but they want "give me's" too. Mattress and box cheap, steps included...lots of nickle and diming. Everyone fighting over it too. Butcher work but that's expected at what they pay.

Base rates are low. Most starting at around $60 for me. I deal with good managers who understand when a unit needs a powerscrub and I get to charge extra for that. Also, stain removal and repairs. That's what raises the total number.

Dmreed4311

Supportive Member
Name
David Reed
My record is 22 apartments in one day with a helper @40 bucks a unit:) that was back in 2000.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
then i am a bad salesman.

1. always wear jeans or shorts.
2. almost never shave (face gets pissed off when i shave so i just trim)
3. i dont fart as much in public as i used to, so i am trying to improve somewhat.
4. try never to be late but most of the time i am running a bit behind.- i do call way ahead of time to tell them i will be late.
5. i will say that i am almost always in "sales mode" just not yalls type of sales mode. i even like selling for other people, ask senior chavez.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I haven't read this whole thread, but noticed the "jeans" comment. I just want to say....different markets expect different appearances.

Some of you look down on what others wear. You just may not know their market. What seems silly in yours, may be much more appropriate in theirs.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
It gets better, I promise. Every year you'll get a little busier in the winter but you will still bitch about being slow. Putting money away helps but it's always gonna be tough on you. After awhile you're nerves get fried and you quit worrying about it.

I appreciate that Chris. Nerves definitely fried. We had a good year in 2013 but we need to get better at a lot of things.

The Clean Machine

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I haven't read this whole thread, but noticed the "jeans" comment. I just want to say....different markets expect different appearances.

Some of you look down on what others wear. You just may not know their market. What seems silly in yours, may be much more appropriate in theirs.

I'm not saying you can't wear them and if you wear them you are a hack..

I know some guys that always wear short and torn up shoes and are pretty successful financially in this business.

Willy P

Name
Willy P

SHHHHHH - They'll catch on........

Reactions: extremecleantn

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
then i am a bad salesman.

1. always wear jeans or shorts.
2. almost never shave (face gets pissed off when i shave so i just trim)
3. i dont fart as much in public as i used to, so i am trying to improve somewhat.
4. try never to be late but most of the time i am running a bit behind.- i do call way ahead of time to tell them i will be late.
5. i will say that i am almost always in "sales mode" just not yalls type of sales mode. i even like selling for other people, ask senior chavez.

Classic! Love the honesty

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Shorts when it gets warm mofos. Cuts down on the from under cheese. Long curly hair gives me the Hippest Carpet Cleaner on the Planet look.

Golden Boy

Reactions: GCCLee

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I've seen Dirk and he wears those white velcro strap tennis shoes.
Said he bought a ton at a store clearance.

When I used to clean apartments all day I sure was in shape going up and down them damn stairs.
Would take about 6 ups and downs for one apartment.
The cleaning was easy but those damn stairs!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I like that I'm able to wear my apartment gear. Yellow glasses (see the piss spots better), hip waders, rubber gloves, and my Makin Bacon cut off T-shirt, an my Valvoline baseball cap on backwards. The other thing I like about apartments is that I'm able to wear my signature series Ron Jeremy cock ring to work everyday and not worry about bothering the homeowners. :eekk:

Dude I'm the shit! :winky:

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
This cold Winter has hit us pretty hard. As bad as I want to get away from apartment work, they keep me moving a little. Resi work has all but stopped .. I've got to do better at putting $ away for the winter .. Maybe save all summer and spend January in Costa Rica?

The Clean Machine

Figure out what you need ($) to survive Jan, Feb and March .. sock away (money) every week from April 1st through Dec 31st .. as you're living on what you socked away, (for J-F-M), any money made in the following Jan, February and March could be deposited in your next years winter fund .. it's a nice stress free way to live your winter for those of you who do stress

We're super slow Jan and Feb .. we gave up on advertising the dead of winter months years ago .. it was always trading - freezing my ass off in exchange for the advertising bill .. we've considered taking off for a month to somewhere warm (and cheap) next year .. Jan or February

Chris A

Name
Chris
Getting off topic a bit (again) but look at trying to get hooked up with a good restoration company or two. Most of the busy guys dont wanna dick with carpet cleaning and if you make yourself available there's some money to be made. We had a pretty darn busy January due to extraction jobs that our clients couldnt keep up with. 3 years ago we had a big fire job in January that kept us busy for two weeks.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
This is such a true statement! This year I bitched and moaned to myself all of January and at the end of the day/month I found we had set a new all time sales record for Jan, thanks to 4-5 WDR jobs, 2 that I might not have taken on but received calls from PM's because everyone else was out of equipment.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
The above response was to Chris' earlier statement that it gets better every year. I forgot I was on tapatalk and it didn't "reply with a quote"

steve_64

i love apartment cleaning. you just have to weed through the pita's. i also clean a lot of empty houses.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom