$670 ain't enough

Mikey P

Administrator
I have a very long time client in CA that lives about an hour and twenty from our shop.
She's down in Monterey where we had another long timer, with a lesser house, not too far from here that we would combine on one day to (barely) make the trip worth it.

With the cost of doing business ever increasing, we think we finally lost the smaller job by having to charge $400 for 3 bed rooms and a hall w/ teflon.

The larger home goes for $670 which takes one guy 4 to 5 house due to a reverse floor plan and pita poly carpet

We would be better off not working than going out for under $100 an hour.

To think MOST carpet cleaners would be more than happy, myself included to bring in $670 in one day.

CA blows.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
$670 for days work might be ok for an O/O, but not for a Business in CA with all the overhead expense that goes into maintaining a business.
women in SF will pay $150 just to get their eyelashes done, $200 for a haircut!-- our prices are reasonable when you consider all that is involved.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

FredC

Village Idiot
I have a very long time client in CA that lives about an hour and twenty from our shop.
She's down in Monterey where we had another long timer, with a lesser house, not too far from here that we would combine on one day to (barely) make the trip worth it.

With the cost of doing business ever increasing, we think we finally lost the smaller job by having to charge $400 for 3 bed rooms and a hall w/ teflon.

The larger home goes for $670 which takes one guy 4 to 5 house due to a reverse floor plan and pita poly carpet

To think MOST carpet cleaners would be more than happy, myself included to bring in $670 in one day.

CA blows.
Is this really a CA issue?

3 hours of windshield time plus the job?

Reactions: Mike hes bored

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I used to have one like that. I tried to refer them to someone else but they insisted on me despite the high travel charges. It was around $650-700, I got to the point where I would schedule them in the morning, pack a fishing rod and fish the Vedder river for salmon in the afternoon.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Ron has the right idea. If it isn’t a good day to fish, it is still a good day to stop by my favorite pipe store and smoke a bowl while chewing the fat with other like minded folk.

Then home for supper.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I have one quarterly route that is 260 miles, 6 stops, for 936. Only a bit over 2 hours actual cleaning. Beautiful drive and paid nap for Jon.

Reactions: BIG WOOD
Name
Lee Stockwell
I misunderstood you. If you haven't got any referrals and have lost your repeats there it may be a better fit for someone else.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Did you read the part about ME servicing them for the last 30 years?
Settle down, I did. I knew you were gonna do it just like I would. They’ll understand. Send em a gift card as a token of your appreciation, that would beat losing money.

jesse johnson

Name
Jesse Johnson

CA blows.
Wow, I'm originally from SoCal-what do you guys(or y'all from my neck of the woods) pay a tech? Im assuming its commission based-but what does it work out to hourly?

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
What you make per hour should have everything to do with your total business and personal expenses, and not just what you think you need to charge.

Our expenses are low, so when we make $100 an hour, we get to keep a lot of that hundred an hour.

Reactions: rwcarpet

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
What you make per hour should have everything to do with your total business and personal expenses, and not just what you think you need to charge.

Our expenses are low, so when we make $100 an hour, we get to keep a lot of that hundred an hour.
$100 per hour is so 1990's.

Back
Top Bottom