7.2" or 5.7"?

Lonny

Supportive Member
When I look at vacuum motors I am not seeing much if any difference in the air watts of these types of 3 stage vacuum motors. Why would I want to use the larger motors?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Lonny;

You would NOT want to use 7.2" Vac motors.

Most of the new development on hi-efficiency vac motors....
is utilizing 5.7" vac motors.

The efficiency is the critical factor for extractors plugged into standard 115VAC circuits.

Because of higher production, they are also less expensive.

Larry

I agree with Larry....the best developments in high performance have been in the 5.7's. They offer the best bang for the buck.

Lonny

Supportive Member
Allrighty then! Thanks guys, looks like a simple answer.

Todd Anthony

The Savage Beast and the Nordic 1 TM both use 2- 7.2 inch 3 stage vac motors. Are you guys saying that these electric TM's are about the same power as a portable unit with 2-5.7 inch 3 stage vac motors? Interesting.

Name
John LaBarbera
Todd Anthony said:
The Savage Beast and the Nordic 1 TM both use 2- 7.2 inch 3 stage vac motors. Are you guys saying that these electric TM's are about the same power as a portable unit with 2-5.7 inch 3 stage vac motors? Interesting.

Good question. Here's what I look at. The big Lamb motor(7.2) is 146" and 102 CFM $288.00 in the Grainger Catalog #398 (old one)

The 5.7 Motor that we use at Mytee is 146" and 115 CFM for half the price and half the weight.

The 7.2 is a good motor but old designed fan blades. All the new features are on the 5.7 like fan blades that resist loading. The fan blades are tapered for better performance. Some people reason that bigger is better, but I don't think so in this case. Kind of like comparing old BIG mobile phones to the SMALL smart phones today. The motor companies continue to improve the 5.7 but nothing new for 30 years on the 7.2

The 7.2 are still available and can be used if that is what they want to do. These are just some facts that influence me.

Name
Nate W.
Todd Anthony said:

Doesn't the Nordic 1 use 220v vacuum motors? It can't be classified into a 110v category.

Name
John LaBarbera
Nate The Great said:
[quote="Todd Anthony":2cbt1ojw]The Savage Beast and the Nordic 1 TM both use 2- 7.2 inch 3 stage vac motors. Are you guys saying that these electric TM's are about the same power as a portable unit with 2-5.7 inch 3 stage vac motors? Interesting.

Doesn't the Nordic 1 use 220v vacuum motors? It can't be classified into a 110v category.[/quote:2cbt1ojw]

Higher voltage, lower amp draw. Performance numbers remain the same.

Name
Nate W.
John LaBarbera said:
[quote="Nate The Great":3r6ejgbu][quote="Todd Anthony":3r6ejgbu]The Savage Beast and the Nordic 1 TM both use 2- 7.2 inch 3 stage vac motors. Are you guys saying that these electric TM's are about the same power as a portable unit with 2-5.7 inch 3 stage vac motors? Interesting.

Doesn't the Nordic 1 use 220v vacuum motors? It can't be classified into a 110v category.[/quote:3r6ejgbu]

Higher voltage, lower amp draw. Performance numbers remain the same.[/quote:3r6ejgbu]

I see. Thanks for the clarification John. Is the input holes the same also, or does that really matter?

Name
John LaBarbera
Hi Nate The Greater,

I don't know for sure what input hole you're talking about. However, I think your talking about the hole at the bottom of the motor where the suction is. if so, I think they may be the same size. But it doesn't matter since the spec's I mention earlier was regarding each specific motor.

Bjorn

the 220 motors 7,2 run more volume of air run longer and much cooler than the smaller hi perf now the hotter they get they will lose efficiency and shorten life span. also with better waste tank design and more non restrictive pluming are things you just cant build into a tight space of a portable

Name
John LaBarbera
Odin said:
the 220 motors 7,2 run more volume of air run longer and much cooler than the smaller hi perf now the hotter they get they will lose efficiency and shorten life span. also with better waste tank design and more non restrictive pluming are things you just cant build into a tight space of a portable

Hi Terry,

Do you think a 230 volt 7.2 runs cooler than a 230 volt 5.7 ? Or are you comparing a 230 volt 7.2 to a 115 volt 5.7 ? Both will meet UL standards.

Name
Nate W.
John LaBarbera said:
Hi Nate The Greater,

I don't know for sure what input hole you're talking about. However, I think your talking about the hole at the bottom of the motor where the suction is. if so, I think they may be the same size. But it doesn't matter since the spec's I mention earlier was regarding each specific motor.

Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry about not being more clear. I'm working on articulating my thoughts better. :oops:

Name
Bill Soukoreff
I use both motors and still prefer the performance curve of the 7.2 117500-13 when plumbed properly. Specs on paper are just that, real world performance is a different animal.

No proof, just my worthless opinion. But I use these vacs daily and the 7.2" is a real workhorse. I have never bought into the airwatt game.

BTW, Kleen-Rite sells the 117500-13 for $138.90.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Bill;

Lamb vac motor engineers utilize AirWatts for their vac motor comparisons.

It measures the peak combination of (lift & CFM) to give a useful power output.

We are using a new 3-Stage 5.7" vac that has 648 AirWatts.

Conventional specs are 153" of lift and 117 CFM.

http://ccs5.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=4762

Durability in extraction vac motors is usually determined by bearing life.

The 5.7" vacs have smaller diameter fans. This gives them less rotating mass to unbalance with lint.

The newest with tapered fans are also more efficient,
with a given electrical power input.

Larry

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Larry said:
Bill;

Lamb vac motor engineers utilize AirWatts for their vac motor comparisons.

It measures the peak combination of (lift & CFM) to give a useful power output.

We are using a new 3-Stage 5.7" vac that has 648 AirWatts.

Conventional specs are 153" of lift and 117 CFM.

http://ccs5.com/zen/index.php?main_page ... ts_id=4762

Durability in extraction vac motors is usually determined by bearing life.

The 5.7" vacs have smaller diameter fans. This gives them less rotating mass to unbalance with lint.

The newest with tapered fans are also more efficient, with a given electrical power input.
Larry
The 7.2" diameter 3 stage vacs will run cooler, and last much longer, plus the 7.2" vacs have a larger intake port, and a larger discharge port, than the 5.7" vac motors.

No, I don't have the exact temperature readings of the 2 during operation, but I can run the 7.2" for over 2 hours, and wrap my hand around the motor, to find it is barely warm.

The same "hand wrap test" done with the 5.7" yields an ouch, it's too hot to touch.

Sure they are all UL approved (UL stands for Underwriters Laboratories, a non-profit organization. Basically what they do is test different parts of products (AC Cord, microchips etc.), and see if they are susceptible to catching on fire. UL certification does not guarantee that a product will function 100% properly, but they put their stamp of approval on items that are known not to catch fire during normal usage), but that doesn't cover the heat generated by each unit, nor does it take into account the application.

I have a couple of the higher air watt tapered fan 5.7" vacs that I used for testing.

There is no difference in extraction results with 7.2" over the 5.7", so I am sticking with what has proven to me over the years to be a long lasting, and high performing vacuum motor.

More important than the vacuum motor, is the complete design of the vacuum system, including the filters dimensions, and full air flow with minimum restrictions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom