A carpet cleaner ventures into WDR

Chris A

Name
Chris
I know there's a few of you on the boards that started out just CC, and got into WD. In my situation, we've been helping out three big restorers in the area for the last couple years, and I'm tired of the last minute phone calls (I need 20k square feet cleaned, um tonight), the getting to jobs only to have them not be ready for us, etc. I figure based on the average minor wd job ($2500), I would only have to do about 20 a year to make up for the work I have now that I don't really want. I'm not looking into any kind of large loss, or CAT type stuff, just residential and maybe very light comm., anything bigger would get referred to one of the big boys we work for now. So for those who have made the leap...

-What kind of training did you get

-How much and what type of equipment is necc to start.

-Market to past custys only or start hitting up ins. offices?

-Sub out the rebuilds, do them yourself or stop after the mitigation and collect the check?

-How difficult is it to learn exactimate or do I need to take a class on that too?

Thanks a ton and if theirs any other info you can offer I'd appreciate it! This is something I'm looking at doing gradually over the next 12-18 months, I want to plan as much as possible.

John Buxton

Start with a class, that will answer most of your questions. Id hold off on exactimate, and rent drying equipment from your distributor, or local restorers.

You know, everything is last minute in water damage. When you get a call, you'll have to reschedule cleaning or work late. Its not uncommon for people to call more than 1 company when their flooded, get there first. Answer your phone, no voice mails, they wont wait for a return call.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
What kind of training did you get
Start out with a basic WDR class, unless you’ve already had one then ASD hands on class. The basics will serve most of your needs and get you going. As you get a few jobs under your belt and make some money a hands on ASD would be the next step up. After that a Heat drying class would be more specialty.

Start out with minimal investment just in case it doesn’t work out for you. Buy used, drying equipment is one of the best investments you can make. It lasts forever and used equipment rents the same as new equipment. Again as you get some money rolling in then built up your inventory buying new and save the used for when you have multiple losses at once.

As a carpet cleaner trying to break in, start with your current customers both residential and commercial. These people already have a relationship with you, they trust you over some WDR guy market to them consistently. Insurance professionals? I would at the very least your own. Other than that I don’t know if I would. With vendor programs and the amount of restorations guys all ready at them you might be better marketing where they are not.

-Sub out the rebuilds, do them yourself or stop after the mitigation and collect the check?
Sub it out or do Mitigation (Extraction & Drying) only. Collect the check? Yea, it can easily take weeks…. at worst months to get paid.
-How difficult is it to learn exactimate or do I need to take a class on that too?
Not bad at all for WDR but you lease the program so until you’ve pasted the point of critical mass I’d get the extactimate numbers and codes and put them into an excel spread sheet or Word and bill off that until you can afford to lease the program.

I’d get with Hoody and see what he would charge you to get you setup and moving with WDR work. He’s done it for others and knows the business very well.
Good Luck!

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Chris Adkins said:
I know there's a few of you on the boards that started out just CC, and got into WD. In my situation, we've been helping out three big restorers in the area for the last couple years, and I'm tired of the last minute phone calls (I need 20k square feet cleaned, um tonight), the getting to jobs only to have them not be ready for us, etc. I figure based on the average minor wd job ($2500), I would only have to do about 20 a year to make up for the work I have now that I don't really want. I'm not looking into any kind of large loss, or CAT type stuff, just residential and maybe very light comm., anything bigger would get referred to one of the big boys we work for now. So for those who have made the leap...

-What kind of training did you get

Thanks a ton and if theirs any other info you can offer I'd appreciate it! This is something I'm looking at doing gradually over the next 12-18 months, I want to plan as much as possible.

Hey, Chris.....call Pembertons and sign up for the $50 Restoration Seminar being held on Feb 1. I'm going down along with some restorers that I sub for. The bonus is $50 credit for restore chems from Jim. A great deal, and learn something, too.

Read my PM for phone number.

RW

Name
Scott
You dont have to charge exactimate pricing. They want you to but you dont have to and they cant make you. I havent charged that and havent had a problem. The answer, I'm not on your program and these are my prices. Theres another guy in my area doing this for 20+ years and will not charge exactimate. We work together and use eachother to fight the insurance companies. We are getting $165/day for air scrubbers, $145/day for dehu's, $30/day for fans. We can say thats the going rate in our area because there are a few of us charging these prices. We just got done teaming up on a 1 br fire damage at an apartment and were able to get almost $30,000 out of it. This is a complete job top to bottom and the adjuster was fine with the prices because we were able to justify it all. I have about $30,000 in restoration equipment and always find myself looking for more on the big jobs. I would say team up with some people and rent equipment off eachother. I also found a good demo guy who lets me work on all the jobs I send him as an hourly supervisor. This helps me explain the restoration process better to my customers when Im first on scene. I also found a good GC. Find a good solid team where you can all help eachother and make sure you are always keeping the homeowner in mind and you will be just fine. Good luck to you.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Chris,

I have a few forms for you to help you get started into 'the game' send me an email and I'll get them to you. stevenhoodlebrink at gmail dot com .

They'll help make you a few bucks in your pocket before having to invest in Xactimate, and a few other things that'll help you along the way.

And of course Richard is right, you can't really argue with him, except maybe his choice in football teams. :mrgreen:

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I think it takes a unique personality to thrive in the world of WDR. If you love drama and conflict WDR might be right for you.

Connor

Name
Connor
Hmm, nobody mentioned marketing to plumbers...... :roll:

Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris A

Name
Chris
Connor said:
Hmm, nobody mentioned marketing to plumbers...... :roll:

Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol yeah that hasn't been done at all...

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Richard C. said:
What kind of training did you get
Start out with a basic WDR class, unless you’ve already had one then ASD hands on class. The basics will serve most of your needs and get you going. As you get a few jobs under your belt and make some money a hands on ASD would be the next step up. After that a Heat drying class would be more specialty.

Start out with minimal investment just in case it doesn’t work out for you. Buy used, drying equipment is one of the best investments you can make. It lasts forever and used equipment rents the same as new equipment. Again as you get some money rolling in then built up your inventory buying new and save the used for when you have multiple losses at once.

As a carpet cleaner trying to break in, start with your current customers both residential and commercial. These people already have a relationship with you, they trust you over some WDR guy market to them consistently. Insurance professionals? I would at the very least your own. Other than that I don’t know if I would. With vendor programs and the amount of restorations guys all ready at them you might be better marketing where they are not.

Sub it out or do Mitigation (Extraction & Drying) only. Collect the check? Yea, it can easily take weeks…. at worst months to get paid.
Not bad at all for WDR but you lease the program so until you’ve pasted the point of critical mass I’d get the extactimate numbers and codes and put them into an excel spread sheet or Word and bill off that until you can afford to lease the program.

I’d get with Hoody and see what he would charge you to get you setup and moving with WDR work. He’s done it for others and knows the business very well.
Good Luck!

Home run! Buy used!! To start out don't let overhead on assets you won't be using to much in the beginning of your venture put a burden on you that is not neccesary. Less stress makes your other process or transition into another division of your company a bit easier.

topnotchman

Soon as you do some jobs, use a certain amount of money you get from the jobs to reinvest in the WDR side of the business. After I got paid on a water loss, I'd go spend some money I made on a couple pieces of equipment, a couple air movers, another dehumidifier, etc etc. It adds up quick after you do a handful of jobs. Then you can handle a larger job, or have enough to do 2 jobs at the same time with enough equipment.

Chris A

Name
Chris
so buying a 4-5000 hour Dehu off ebay, what do I need to look for? All our partners use Phoenix equipment, so a 200-270 would probably be what I'd be looking at.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That's a tough question but I'd start with appearance. If it's beat up and dirty then you can be pretty sure they've not taken real good care of it.

Price with those hours $650.00-$800.00, lower hours $1000.00-$1200.00

Low hours $1200-$1400.00

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Chris if you're going to buy phoenix and if you've got a box truck really any of them, and Richards numbers are pretty legit. If you're only using a van the R200s(pull 54 liters = around 110 pint/day) are small and compact, roto-molded and, even my scrawny butt can lift them up into a van with no probs.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I will probably be rocking a used cargo trailer to start, so space wont be a huge issue, and that way we'll be able to hook it up to either of the vans or my pickemup truck.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Chris Adkins said:
so buying a 4-5000 hour Dehu off ebay, what do I need to look for? All our partners use Phoenix equipment, so a 200-270 would probably be what I'd be looking at.

No, stay away from 5000 hr units you want to be around 3000 or less. It depends on who you will be working for but some (dumbass know nothing) adjusters will see the small size Dehus like a Phoenix r200 and give you hell about using a "medium size" dehu and charging for a large.

For Air movers, you are going to want to buy either drieez or Phoenix snails to start out with. Stay away from powr flite or namco style blowers even though they are cheap. And as soon as you can afford some buy some used axials to lower your overall amp load and save you time and frustration.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Richard C. said:
What about those flat Prochem things? Do you own any of them Michael?

Stay outta my thread rEEko! unless of course your giving wdr advice, then by all means, stick around shiteatinggrin

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I like the trailer idea Chris. It won't tie up a vehicle dedicated to WDR yet you get the advantage of having one by having a WDR trailer. A side benefit of the trailer is you drop the door and roll the dehumidifers out. A nice feature for those "physically challenged" and unable to lift like a man. :p

Seriously while I prefer a WDR box truck an trailer can be the next best thing!

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Richard C. said:
What about those flat Prochem things? Do you own any of them Michael?

No I don't own any but would like to try some out this year. I will be getting one of those prochem chiefs power management systems. Saw it at connections and wanted to wait and make sure if there were any flaws in the setup they would be fixed, but I haven't heard anybody complain so must be going well. I like it alot compared to the hygrotrak system and it is setup to pay out in exactimate very well. I spoke to John and he said in exactimate you charge for a spider box plus 15 per day per sensor. So it will add up quick.

topnotchman

I have a cargo trailer, and I love it. Just hook up and goto the job. Depending on size you have plenty of room for equipment. Only draw back, depending where you live, I have a hard time parking it at some homes that dont have much space to turn around or back up.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Richard C. said:
A nice feature for those "physically challenged" and unable to lift like a man. :p

Hey there DICK Chavez, I can he-man 2800i's and 200 HTs, so :p :mrgreen: . But really the weight in them is awkward and easy for anyone to strain the wrong way and be injured. Smart move on the trailer!

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I don't know about where you guys are at, but it seems like there is a new WD company opening everyday around here. I bet I could google some keywords at this very moment in my area and find at least one new company I have not heard of, around here its getting pretty ridiculous 10 years ago you could count the players mostly on one hand.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hey there DICK Chavez, I can he-man 2800i's and 200 HTs, so .
Yea you're right it's not so much the weight but awkwardness with the weight. A person could easily hurt themselves trying to be harry hairshirt with a dehumidifier. I always tell the guys to use the ramp or two men lift it, no point in getting someone hurt.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I entered restoration work paying cash for everything. I would take some money from each job and apply it to new equipment as I went. They only thing financed is our GMC vans (and actually we pay for the butler units). I prefer to use single axle all aluminum trailers made by Aluma. They are lighter and we can carry more cargo. Also easier for me to hook up to a van and go out and do a water damage on my own when needed. I have the trailer insulated and also a heating and cooling unit on top that I have only needed to use on occasions. The drieaz snail air movers are mounted on the walls with their special mounting brackets (very nice by the way) I run the Force 9 axial fans down the middle of the trailer. I also have a shelf now mounted in the front that is not in the pics for other smaller items. I just load up dehu's and air scrubbers as needed when called out. We use phoenix 200 ht's and also the Ultimate 340's made by phoenix for Jondon. I have a few small drieaz dehu's but rarely used. I also have two 240 Etes units and one EL6400 heat drying unit. 2 sets of dry mats, some other wall cavity dryers and various other WDR items. We use medium water claws for top down water extraction. Also, don't forget monitoring equipment. I have 2 full kits also with Flir Thermal cams. I also have ozone machines and a Hydroxyl unit for smoke damage and many other items. All those items were paid with cash. No financing so if they are sitting, they really are not costing me more money.

For restoration, that is like the "icing on the cake" for extra cash for us. We really focus on carpet cleaning, but also tend to do a lot of restoration work too. In restoration, there is a lot of drama and emotional dynamics you need to be prepared for. A person's home has just been damaged and they are traumatized! It is not like carpet cleaning where you are in and out in a day and everyone has pretty much had a pretty happy day. This is the most difficult part of restoration as well as you wait a long time to get paid and sometimes you don't get paid what you wish you would. There is a lot of adjuster "adjusting" that can take place even though you have Xactimate and so do they. Also be prepared for the homeowners to get the money....and all of a sudden, it got spent to pay for the truck payment they were behind on, or even the mortgage company taking it to pay what was owed them.

We are looking at maybe leaving the restoration part of the industry in the next few years. It sometimes is just a "pain in the rear" and we are looking at scaling back to maybe have a life back. I am not saying it is not for others, you just get to a point where you re-evaluate what might be important and what emotional dynamics you want to be in your work and family life.

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions. I don't know it all, but I have had a few experiences.

Mark Saiger
http://www.saigers.com

NewTrailerpicswithvan003-1.jpg

NewTrailerpicswithvan004-1.jpg

NewTrailerpicswithvan005-1.jpg

Newtrailerwithblowers006.jpg

Newtrailerwithblowers005.jpg

Newtrailerwithblowers004.jpg

Newtrailerwithblowers003.jpg

Newtrailerwithblowers002.jpg

Newtrailerwithblowers001.jpg

Newtrailerpics006.jpg