A cleaning or chemical puzzler

harryhides

Name
Tony
For many decades, I have used 30 volume Peroxide to remove stains.
I recently had a claim with heavy water stains from an overflowing sink onto an off white Berber that was installed throughout this condo approx 5 yrs ago.
Peroxide took care of the stains but left a whitish look in the area. Have not seen this before.

Customer had a yappy lil dog that would piss on the carpet once in a while and the customer would use 10 volume peroxide ( brown bottle in the drug store ) and asked me about the best way to deal with the stains. He showed me some spots that he had treated and in each spot the urine stain was gone but the spot looked white.
I have often seen this look when a homeowner has used too much spotter and the dry soap residue caused the bleached look. There is no soap in Peroxide at any strength.

This gentlemen has had his carpets cleaned many times by the local Chem Dry whiz.
Could this be some sort of reaction from the residue of whatever product he used ?

Anyone seen this before ?

Thanks.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Re: A cleaing or chemical puzzler

Could it be due to too many application of peroxide/urine. Therefore the latex and secondary backing are falling apart dissolving and wicking up? Or even something from the sub flooring?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink

Did they use some type of carpet fresh along with the peroxide for odor ?

harryhides

Name
Tony

Ofer Kolton said:
Could it be due to too many application of peroxide/urine. Therefore the latex and secondary backing are falling apart dissolving and wicking up? Or even something from the sub flooring?

The areas that I treated got only a light misting but the result was the same as the areas the customer had treated with a much weaker solution. So, I doubt this was the cause Ofer.

The carpet fresh deodorizer seems more plausible.

S

sam miller

I've seen white powdered stains left from oxyclean also. Was it actual bleaching or just a powdered suface wick?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Most carpet fresh is made out of baking soda. Most whitening toothpaste of light amounts of peroxide and baking soda. It leaves a very smooth thin layer of white on your teeth for the whitening effect. Seems like it the same effect here, and very doubtful that its removable/correctable chemically except from dyeing.

Maybe test 10 volume peroxide and some carpet fresh on a colored piece of new scrap carpet and see if you get the same effect, it would certainly be more noticeable.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Is it possible that it is a blend? Maybe a bit of nylon blended in to give it a little color? I ran into one several years ago that behaved exactly a you describe. Try some formic acid on a scrap tuft, then let it dry out and see what color you have left.

If it's a residue from sprinkle carpet deo or latex disolving it would leave a residue on the fiber that would powder off when rubbed/brushed.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I saw the 40 vol peroxide/ammonia strip the color from a carpet where I treated a coffee stain. Odd ball carpet that would also have red spots sometimes appear when I aggressively cleaned it. A family room adjoining a garage that was heavily soiled. Got the red spots out with red dye remover. S'wierd.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Thanks guys for all the good suggestions.

Since it was an insurance claim, I won't be going back.
I don't see how it was bleached since some of this apparent bleaching was done by only 10 volume or 3 % Peroxide.

A reaction with some powdered product seems more likely.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom