A few things to be aware of with your new KG

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
With a few guys buying KoolGlides, maybe we can have a 'learning thread' about some of the traps that we got caught with as we were learning the tool ourselves.

No1 for me was resisting the urge to go to a higher setting.

As I put up a picture else where, I burnt a section of low profile olefin where I did it on medium setting in late summer while everything was still warm.

Now for any synthetics on concrete floors, I go in at med, all other synthetics are done on low.

Wools (most of mine) are usually done on medium or even high if it's cold home/concrete floor etc.

It really pays to play around in your shop with different grades/fibres/subfloors.

No2 is trying to remember the fact that the whole tape does not melt!!!

It melts a section along each side and then a strip in the middle leaving two stripps at 1/3 and 2/3 with the glue not melted at all.

I'd get frustrated with doing small repairs where only part of the donor was gripped when I welded the tape.

I was seam sealing with a solvent sealer back then, but now use my Kool Sticks in my glue gun, do around the edges of the rerpair, then sit the donor inside and weld it.

This eliminates the problem. If you go to the KG site, they actually have a diagram of the circuts to help you understand.

I'm sure others will have a comments about it's use too.

John

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Charles Lyman said:
does the KG melt all types of hot melt glue ,or just their brand?

The Kool Glide will only work properly with the special Kool Glide tape.

Another learning experience to add to John's - The Kool Glide is intended for seaming carpet stretched over cuhsion / pad / underlay. When used with carpet directly on the floor, you can get enough heat reflected to burn or melt most synthetic carpet. I've even seen this done by instructors when demonstrating the Kool Glide.

Scott Warrington

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Charles Lyman said:
does the KG melt all types of hot melt glue ,or just their brand?

Charles, I gather it's mainly their own brand that works best.

If you can get a low melt point glue stick, do a test and see.

I tried it with the 'standard' glue sticks and they don't melt as effectively as the dedicated Kool Stick does.

This may not be a problem, unless you are wanting to re lift a donor out for any reason.

Cheers, John

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
I'm not certain but I assumed that the KG manufacturers would have a product in the glue that causes it to heat up, some sort of metal particles or something? Therefore normal glue wouldn't melt.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Heathrow what happens with glue sticks is melting temperatures. You have a urethane stick (Kool Glide) . Also a low melt . A high temp and a Multi temp. The urethane melts at the same temperature. Another example. A latex application of sealing melts at different temperatures. A hight temp will take longer to heat than a urethane stick. Inconsistany of heat does matter .

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Hey I found this on the website if anyone's interested (about the tape itself):

Here's how it works. The KOOLGLIDE tool generates an invisible electromagnetic field that heats a special seaming tape containing a thin aluminum layer. It heats the metal but does not affect human tissue. Human tissue is affected by high frequency radiation such as microwaves. Microwave frequencies are 3,000,000,000 cycles per second and above. At approximately 170,000 cycles per second (170 kHz) the KOOLGLIDE tool falls well below microwave frequencies.

The KOOLGLIDE tool easily satisfies FCC and other applicable safety standards for human absorption of radiation. Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) is the unit of measurement for the effect of radiation on human tissue. The KOOLGLIDE tool radiates about 10 times less than the SAR standard published by the Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers. In addition, the strength of the radiated magnetic field drops rapidly as it moves away from the KOOLGLIDE tool. It will not even heat metal at a distance of greater than about 3 inches from the base of the tool.

Got mine today and rearing to go! When I picked it up it had this big heavy transformer with it, so I said to the guy "mate - I asked for the smaller transformer" and he said THIS IS THE SMALL ONE :shock:

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Yellow or black Heath?

Large UK sylte plug or smaller US style plug?

This is our first unit, it came with the UK transformer with two outlets.

DSCN2315.jpg

John

Stevea

Here is a little clip showing the method of seam sealing with hot melt and the Kool Glide urethane adhesive. It does not matter if it sets up, you can lock one side down and seal one edge, then when ever you are ready you can put the edges together and then run the Kool Glide and it will melt the adhesive and seal both sides. This same process works with bonded inserts and fracture repairs and making new seams. If one needs to, they can easily open up the seam at a later time if the need arises.

I thought I would show the SDN in its use with the Kool Glide. This overall system is great to make a seam or repair and it bonds all the edges together and prevents seam peaking and helps to hide a repair. Seam sealing alone will actually hold this seam together. We demonstrate this by just sealing the edges and letting two guys try to pull it apart, it really holds very well.

We were also showing the use of a butane glue gun, might be something for you guys in 220 volt lands to have, along with butane hot knives, they work great with out the power.

Hope everyone enjoys.
This is just some raw footage
th_986e6c79.jpg

I have shown this clip but I thought I would add it to show another method of the sealing as well as the difference in appearance of the glue. The urethane adhesive is good for a lot of other uses as well
th_41d41793.jpg

Take care,
SA

Stevea

Thanks HArry,

It is a lot of fun and most of the time everyone is pretty into what we are doing.

SA

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Where possible, a hands on class (except maybe Tony's Leather fetish class :shock: ) is always going to be a hands down winner with a lot more enthuseasim (sp?) than a sitandlistentosomeonedroneon type class.

I'm just hanging for the day when Steve and Harry may bring their repair classes down under or I can afford to take my family to the US in a few years time.

While I love this stuff and do heaps of it, admittedly my repairs are all within a narrow band of the wider industry. I'm slowly expanding my horizions thanks to this room and guys like Steve, Harry, Tony, Marc and others that have shared other stuff.

Nice clips Steve. That SDN is a noisy thing isn't it? How does it compare noise wise to a vacuum cleaner?

One of the things I have been enjoying about this type of work is the lack of noise. To the point you can relax, converse easily with the owner/client, hear music whatever...

John

Stevea

John,

The SDN certainly has some noise to it, but a nice useful tool in some areas. Not used all the time but it is nice to have when needed.

Your points are well taken about quiet, that is one of the things I like about repair work also. When I lived in FL I did a lot of work for different Disney properties. One of their hotels had me come in two days a month and had a list of repairs and so forth. The nice part was I rolled my tools with me, went into a room, locked the door and worked in a quiet peaceful place. No one really knew where I was or what room I was in and I was almost never bothered, that is great work and great working conditions.

Still love the peacefulness and quiet of glue guns, Kool Glide and then comes the SDN and the vacuum noise. It is pretty loud but again, the time it is in use is pretty small in comparison.

You are right about a class setting, although part of what you wrote is gone(?). I guess it is like anything else when we see something and see the possibilities of it, it can get to be pretty interesting. Repairs are like a lot of stuff, when you 'see' them it takes a lot of mystery out of them, then when you actually get to do it yourself, it is a lot of fun.

I would love to have a bunch of us go to your home area, that would be a lot of fun, maybe someday.

Glad you liked it. I am also glad you share here, we all learn from each other, that is a great part of this room.

SA

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
It's not gone Steve, I was having fun with Tony and deliberately put it in white. Just drag your mouse over it and highlight the area to show what it says :lol:

I tend to do that a bit... :wink:

John

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Steve,
Where is a good place to get the ice picks? I didn't look for them when I was there last, but should I be able to get them at my local carpet supply house?

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Here's a picture of what I was trying top describe earier.

One of the beauties of the KG is the ability to remove a patch if things don't go right. In this case, I'd trimmed it slightly too much and when it inserted, it looked a bit gappy.

2 zaps with the KG and out she comes. New one cut and straight back in. Less than 3 minutes to redo the same patch.

Anyway I digress, look at the pattern of melted glue on the backing of the insert. Notice the two strips of un melted adhesive.

This is why it's important to combine the two styles, glue gun the edges first to seam seal adn bond the bits that won't get zapped by the iron, follow up with the iron to weld the whole thing in.

IMG_3892.jpg

let me know if your name is Mort and you still don't compre... :oops:

John

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Never mind ice picks (you can get them at N-C or a restaurant supply house) I'm looking for "China hat" plastic topped picks. They're way better than a regular ice pick for carpet repair, but I can't find a supplier. Anyone familiar with them?

ultraclean

Just watching the Barry Costa DVD'S he metioned that with the kool glide all 3 setting's High Medium And Low are the same, all 9 seconds of power at the same rate. Is this still the same or am I miss understanding somthing?

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
The Kool glide PRO Model H is for concrete M is for wood L is for Cushion. This is the 2nd generation of Irons. The first one are the ones Barry is speaking of.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
chinahatawl.jpg

Shorty,
The one in the center, China hat!
I like the one you show though, it looks pounding enabled. What's it called?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom