A first at Mikefest..

Mikey P

Administrator
I dont have to go back and reclean the skating rink this year.

I can see where one method started and another stopped but over all it's plenty good enough.

For what it's worth the areas cleaned with the Drag Wand/ MW TM and the Portable look the worse. In the Drag Wand's case no pre spray was used for some strange reason leaving it dull looking and in the Porty's case the operator streaked it up a bit.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Do you believe the Host System, if performed in the same areas as the system (whatever it was) you think gave the best results, would have performed just as well, worse, or better?

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I checked it out before I left for home on Saturday. Looked pretty good. They were very busy. I guess no one had anything to do in the rain.

Albert

Mikey P

Administrator
admiralclean said:
Do you believe the Host System, if performed in the same areas as the system (whatever it was) you think gave the best results, would have performed just as well, worse, or better?

As well or better.

When you're dealing with 32oz soda spills you never know how many cleanings it will take to get it all out.
I have no experience with Hosting spills but I'm sure the dinginess and embedded soil would come up just fine with the Host method.
Pre vacuuming with the Big Host machine would do wonders all by itself.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I've been intrigued by dry compound cleaning ever since the building manager of our State Employee Retirement System building told me that Capture was the only system approved for the carpets in their building. They've been using it exclusively for years now and love it.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I really don't know, but from what the guy described to me, it was much like the Host system. He said the used the "sponges" and a vacuum for everything unless there were drink spills and such. He said they had a liquid spotter for those areas and then "sponged" the liquid up.

One difference is that this dude was praising his cleaners for using good vacuum cleaners to get the sponges out. His "good" vacuums were a name brand vacuum. I just can't remember which brand.

John Watson

Jim, it must have happened when he switched machines aye.

the little one didn't have heat or the suck, even with the air hog..

or it could have been that wand with a banana for lips and it had a
broken neck it looked like to me, Just kidding mitey..

Now you can go back and eat your oranges, mine are gone already..

Great getting to meet you there, enjoyed the chat session we all had in the room..

Damn those oranges were good. Rob Rocha thanks again 2 years in a row. and yes, I made it home with a few for Helen. She says thanks too..

Farenheit251

Millican makes capture and either suggests or requires it to be used on their carpet. Years ago I interviewed w/ the DM of Perkins. All was good until Millican told him they had to use Capture to clean the restaurants.
Their franchise Millicare was buying some prochem ultrapak at my distributor. Said they would extract some areas when necessary. Seemed like a good system but overkill on labor and chemical costs 90% of the time.

Rambo

Host and Capture

Host is made in Racine, Wisconsin by Racine Industries. Being made from corn cobs and added cleaning chemicals leans more to "natural" while Capture is made in Spartanburg, S.C. by Milliken who also mfgs. carpet is made from a man made polymer. I have been to both mfg. plants and have extensive experience with both.
they both clean the carpet, but what they leave behind is a problem. I used Capture in stores throughout the Southeast and dusting was a problem in our Jewelry Depts. to the point I starting switching to Host. Getting all the Host out of the carpet was another challenge , I have truckmount cleaned behind Host and had corn cobs 3 feet up my wand, I could go on

The Preacher

Millicare used Windsor Verasmatic twin motor vacs last time i saw them cleaning some where. i say a good wide area vac would get out more soil (host and capture included)

they also use Whittaker GLS machines as the agitation step of the cleaning. digging stuff out of carpet every month with a GLS can't help but make it look better!

David Hood of Shaw Contract Denver is the authority on Millicare that i know. he started his cleaning experience with a Millicare company!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Host is cellulosic and the operating principle is aBsorption, hence the marketing concept of "tiny sponges." While the process certainly can make a difference in the appearance of a carpet, and could be the best method in certain circumstances, it would not equal the appearance of HWE cleaning for commercial carpet. I'm pretty sure about this, as in addition to our own testing we did a methods testing competition in a marketing classroom with people that used Host, Capture, and foam generators (Von Schrader) as their primary methods. It may have been "unfairly soiled" carpet, but the HWE results were obviously superior.

Capture is a little pellet coated with sticky stuff that supposedly makes soil stick to it so that it can be vacuumed out easily. The cleaning principle is aDsorption. The product is white, so like encap residue it can make carpet or fabric look cleaner. The problem is that the sticky pellet sticks pretty well to the carpet fiber too, and can be very difficult to impossible to completely remove. Residue will cause rapid resoiling.

If you've ever had a commercial carpet with black traffic areas that cleaned up great but resoiled withing days, the carpet is probably full of Capture and will be a maintenance nightmare.

GRHeacock

I went back Saturday to have a look.

The Host area still had noticeable Host powder on it, not removed.

The area OP by Hruby, part was still damp, and there was a slick residue left behind, complained by one of the mothers of the hockey players, who said several hockey players had skidded and fallen because of "something" on their skates.

When I felt the area, there was a noticeable residue on my fingers, not found in other areas.

Gary

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Gary I heard that to, but then I think Mikey heard there was a leak in the roof and it made a wet spot, so that was were the slick came from..

My observations were...

NO ONE SYSTEM IS PERFECT!!!!!

even the area done by the mighty V had...

A. slight dampness (it was dried by.... yeah that..... brain aint working)
B. the 32oz drink spills were wicking back...

It was prevacuumed, presprayed, agitated, done by then V, post bonneted, and dryed...

yet there was still issues..now some may be from the white magic over spray when he was drag wanding..

I havent seen it in years past, so I dont know how much to compare it by..but like i said...get as many tools in your tool box as you can, and use them all...

Fred Homan

I thought Clark's area looked the best. Even though it was not the most dirty to begin with. I see his 20" pad machine in my near future.

Fred

GRHeacock

I agree that no single system is "Perfect". Each has strengths and drawbacks.

I gotta say- there has been some big improvements in OP machines lately. Easier to use, less vibration to the user, and more ergonomic. I was impressed by the Hruby's bullhorn handles. I was impressed by Clark's shampoo tank setup, and folding back roto head, sort of like a Cimex, easy to change and replace the pads.

AAANNNDDD... the color and condition of the soiled pads. Really removed a lot of soils.

Good luck washing them and using them again.

Gary

GRHeacock

Ummm.... I did not try it myself, but did watch several guys try it. They all said it was easier to use, less tiring on the wrists.

Of course, this was only a few minutes, not hours and hours on a big job.

I do think it is a breakthrough, and would not be surprised to see other manufacturers do the same thing.

Assuming it really is a breakthrough.

Gary

Clark

The floating handle OP sales are down 80% and the locked handle Defender sales are up 400% for the year. I don't think the floating handle machine will be built in any good numbers in the future. The wheels on the Defender can be locked up to create a floating handle. But why would you want to hold the weight of the handle for any length of time. I run these machines for hours at a time. I will tell you I will never run a floating handle machine again to clean. Never.

DevilDog

Simply unreal. Wicking is something that is going to happen occasionally but come on!!

Any of you ever heard of a Water Claw!!!!

MY god. Ever heard of immediately getting air movement over these spills, force wicking them, then cleaning them immediately again?

Sometimes when I come to this board I am simply amazed at what I read.

It takes about 30 seconds to flood a bad spill and flush it. So the f what!! Do it.

Far too many guys are concerned with how their graphics look, what machine they have, how clean their machine is, and bullshit like that.

Learn to clean!!!

MY GOD!

And for those aholes that don't think I know what I am talking about. I used to clean huge auditoriums that had parties almost nightly. Spills EVERYWHERE.

Rarely had a problwm with wicking.

Carpets only wick when wet. So get the damn things dry....FAST. And you will know if you have wicking...and if you do you take care of it.

Jesus H. Christ...I think I am going to go crazy.

DevilDog

Mikey P

Administrator
I heard about the slipping skaters too. When I told the Hrubys about it they volunteered to go back and fix it.

While there on Saturday afternoon they were told by the manager that about the roof leak.

They wet padded the area and from what I felt while there last night, they affectively removed any left over Encap residue. They admitted that the concentration was too strong and that too much was applied as well.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Not all systems are perfect but for this place OP would be my preferable method. Cool thing about most vlm methods is you see what you get on most occasions. Sometimes what you get is not what you want to see but oh well :lol:

Albert

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
naw i would use cimex and rickys juice...

and dog...judas your an idiot..did i not just say they dried it quick?

and while i am not a frequent user of the water claw...arent you suppose to have some fabric to grab?? thus allowing the water to flow down and then back up??? kinda hard when you got || that much fabric there, hell the nubs on the claw would keep it above so as to not allow it to lock into the fiber...

Damn you bug me...

and I dont know about everyone else but the JHC is getting old :x :x

R

R W

Nah.....I think the first was when Mike was pulling Rick Gelinas' wife around on the Ti wand (with the Greenglide), with the Big V pulling the vac.

One-handed, at that.

I think that was the 1st MF.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
i have met his wife...

and she is small enough to pull around on a non glided wand :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom