a good news video of carpet cleaners

Mikey P

Administrator
boy oh boy...

I'm glad some newscaster didn't pop out on me back in my Miller days.

I would have ran!
lol

Brings back memories.

I started in this biz just like those guys.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I can sense the anxiety when I first meet new customers who have been shafted by the low ballers.But after awhile I present the bill and they seem to relax and are relieved that they are not being taken again.

I have one question regarding the TV expose'.
Where were the "Ethical" cleaning companies to compare with the sleaze ball ones we saw on the tape?

All these TV news programs make every carpet cleaning company look bad to the public.

Warrantees? what warrantees? LOL!

I even saw the IICRC certification on the coupons!

I guess Gary Heacock and I will have to start raking the damn carpet again! Since I never do it anyway!

Seriously the IICRC needs to be upgraded when they mention that raking when it all goes back to when there were SHAG carpets!

Greenie

One thing that echos in my mind, you see customers pay $50+ a room for the bait and switcher, why do you feel guility charging a fair professional fee for a thorough professional cleaning?

You are probably worth even more, right? So charge.

-JB-

Name
JB
amen.jpg

Attachments

• amen.jpg
    amen.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 255
R

R W

Looks like Shaw and Mohawk are the Carpet Manu's.....

Call For Action: Deal or No Deal
Posted By: Timothy Donley

You've probably seen the ads in your newspaper or mailbox – carpet deals dor $9.95 a room. But are they really a deal?
Nancy Williams thought she had a deal with a $9.95 carpet cleaning coupon, but the high pressure sales made her feel threatened in her own home.

"I wanted a nice clean carpet, no big deal," she said.

John Frapasella says his carpet tech called his boss five times when he refused the $411 estimate. Frapasella also had a $9.95 coupon.

"It's a game these companies play and the consumer needs to be aware," Frapasella said.

So are you getting a deal or are there hidden costs? To find out, Call For Action reporter Jenn Strathman took an ordinary house and put in a few hidden cameras. Then NBC Action News put four carpet cleaning companies to the test.

All four companies push coupons for less than $10 per room. We got quotes to clean a living room and bedroom.

Osage Cleaning advertises $8.99 per room, but we find out that deal doesn't apply. The ad never mentions the need for any extras.

"If you want the basic, that's what we'll do," said the tech. "I'm not trying to sell you something you don't need, but you need it."

The final tally was $57.98. With the coupon, the two rooms should be just $18.

All Pro Cleaning is next. The tech seems like a pro. He comes in, sets up his equipment, and spends 45 minutes demonstrating his cleaning techniques. Then he talks price.

"Altogether we're looking at $222.95," he said.

After the tech is reminded of the $9.95 coupon, the negotiations begin. The tech calls his boss back at the office and, miraculously, the price drops. "He'll knock off a chunk of the money and put it down to $165 for you."

With just a phone call we save $57.95. We still refuse and the tech decides to do us "a favor" by honoring the company's coupon.

"Would you like me to do a basic steam clean while I'm here," the tech asks.

What is a basic steam clean? According to the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC), customers should expect these basics: vacuuming, preconditioning, extraction, grooming and drying of the carpet on every job.

Though the IICRC sets the standard for carpet cleaning, they are only recommendations.

Bock's Steam Star owner Brian Bock says they are fundamentals. The master textile cleaner says he follows the IICRC standards.

Bock says those coupon deals are not deals at all. "You can not clean carpet professional for those prices and stay in business."

Looking at our quotes, Bock questions some of the "extra" charges.

"There's $182.40 right there for stuff that should be included anyway," he said.

But charging extra is not the case in all the tests. A-Star Cleaning stops by the test house and the tech agrees to clean the carpet for $9.95 per room. It's the only company to honor its advertised price.

Custom Cleaning also advertises $9.95 per room. Within minutes of arriving the tech gets right to work, but when it is time to talk price, once again the coupon is not an option.

Tech: "Everything came up to $384.70. Just sign there."
Us: "This is what I was prepared with today. [I'm] so shocked at that total. The $9.95 for two rooms."

Tech: "Our first-time customers are usually a little shocked."

And shocked is how a number of their customers feel. Since 2003 there have been 29 complaints filed with the Better Business Bureau on Custom Cleaning and their sales practices.

But when we heard some of those same complaints, we took action.

Strathman: "Hey Charles, Jenn Strathman, NBC Action News. Where'd you get $384?"
Tech: "Uh."

Strathman: "The coupon here says $9.95."

Tech: "That's for basic."

Strathman: "It doesn't say basic, $9.95 for cleaning."

Once again the so-called deal turns out to be no deal at all.

Strathman: "You think it's right to advertise this way and go from $9.95 to $384.20?"
Tech: Uh?

That tech did not have any answers, and neither did Custom Cleaning. The company never returned any calls.

The companies who did call back say the coupon deals are usually for repeat customers and not new ones, but it doesn't say that on the coupon.

Any chance of this practice ending? Yes. In 2008, if you buy Shaw or Mohawk carpet, your warranty is void if you don't get an IICRC-certified firm to clean it.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ummm dont most of us give the custys the price 1st???

and who in the hell spends 45 mins doing a demo in a house with like 2 rooms???....

looked like most were porty jobbers to...

repeat customers my ass...if thats the case why do they send them in those val-pak cupon things....

its a case of getting what you deserve you cheap suckers

Kevin Hamer

Why blame the company's, I am not defending them nor do I like them but the reason why these companies are in business is simply because the general public is stupid when it comes to purchasing services.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I would link that video on my website but I don't pre-vacuum all jobs :lol:

The way the guy brings in his portable is halarious, talk about sales pressure.

Albert

G

It all looked fake....I liked the way they edited the whole experience. Who doesn't do a walk through first to pre-qualify stains... who brings in equipment before they talk price???

couldn't be so many hacks in one area...no way

Back
Top Bottom