A Groupon point of view from the outside.

PTMatt

Name
Matt Martinez
tnez10 said:
Groupons good for coffee shops, hair salons, ice cream joints, etc. Places with high margins and looking to get new customers in their door. Not for carpet cleaners who have to burn their own gas and perform laborious duties inorder to make $25 to $40 (That is unless you upsell the crap out of every job). No thanks, I'll pass and save the wear and tear on my equipment.
:lol: oops looks like the wifey was signed in when I made this post.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Matt,
The last guy in your area sold almost 600 Groupons doing 3 rooms for $49.00...of which he got around $25.00. $1500.00

I think he will make a money on the deal. Most of those people will want something more done.
I know the area well and most house will have over 3 rooms of carpet plus they will have a good amount of tile in some areas.
Upholstery etc.
These are not priceshoppers.

These people just paid $99 over the internet like it was nothing. They will surely be interested in spending more when you get there.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
"these people are not price shoppers"

Yes that is why they are looking for huge discounts :roll:

Do you know why you sold only a minimal amount and he sold almost 600?

Because they are price shoppers and his was even more cut rate than yours and most people only have 3 areas that need cleaning.

I am starting to get confused(which is easy) is it to get people in the door or is it to make money? Studies continually show that people lose money in trying to get the fallacy of repeat customers. I understand you do not appreciate FACTS but those are the facts. Your not a carpet cleaner, you are a phone operator. Which is fine but real business is hardwork and we are rewarded. I would hate to give groupon more than half(because I have costs) to get these people. Like I said before Brian if you want to pay me 13,000 to get you 600 Customers at $9 a room I am more than happy to do it.

I got to get moving I have a pretty booked schedule today and unfortunately won't people able to enjoy Thursday this week either. ! guy on vacation and we are booked:)

Yesterday was awesome I brought in about $4700 and $3,700 was all me and most of it profit.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
He sold more because his was a main deal. You always seem to find a way to use the "facts" in you're :idea: own special way Greg

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
There really are very few facts in the business world- or in most places I would guess. Most things are opinions and theories of which we all have and use for our own justifications. And that's a fact, or at least my opinion of facts somewhat amus

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Come on Brian really. Universities and groupon are distorting the facts?

Ken their are many facts when you break all the numbers down on what sold, price points, what product , demographics etc etc as a former VP for Sodexho I knew what was going to sell where and when. I knew how many, I knew my client base, I knew all the FACTS that were pertinent

Brian
He sold more because it was a better deal with a lower price point, plain and simple. You have a much larger populated area and you barely got 10% or what he did.

If you lowered your price, sold out your subs a little more and offered less rooms(hardly anyone has 6 areas and that is what they focus on) you would have done atleat 60-75% all the groupn people care about is the PRICE otherwise they wouldn't be price shopping on an internet website instead of throroughly checking who would be coming into their home

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Greg- numbers don't lie for sure, but the interpretation of them is the part that is part art, part skill and part subjective based on each individuals life experiences.

Put 3 CFO's in a room with the same data and they will all likely have slightly different interpretations of it and all will have valid (at least for them) reasons for them.

Ken

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
My point exactly that is why your BS about because I was a side deal is that BS. The fact is they know a better more reasonable deal will come along. So you sold what 60 and gave Groupon at minimum $3,000. I could have gotten the same results for less than a grand and would have garnered more if I said $10 a room in the coupon or even local newspapers

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I am running a newspaper ad in 2 weeks and I didn't give them anything either. They are billing me and I have until the 14th of april to pay and I guarantee I will make money

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Is this really about whether or not we'll make money or is it about fear and greed? We want something for nothing or at least something "for sure".

This isnt for anyone in particular but some of you are such pussies.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Brian,
I missed how many you actually sold. It appears you sold like 60?

Anyway for conversation I will say you sold 60 at $99.

That means your company (you and your subs) will get 45 to 55 jobs from Groupon.

The revenue generated by Groupon from your new customers will be $3,000.
You will be paid upfront $3000 for the 50 jobs as I understand it.

The jobs you will be getting will be all over your Huge city.
You were not able to make the offer you wanted because of Groupon.

How about this option?
If you were to take $3000 and do a focused mailing for three months in a small area of your town(less gas and travel time).

Make any offer you want or a different offer every month.
Would you as our Marketing Master be able to get more than 50 jobs?
Maybe I have more confidence in you than you do.

Let me break it down this way.
You spend $1,000 a month on mailings for 3 months in a row to the same potential customers in a small area close to where you live. The ads will be exactly how you want them. (They won't promote Steam Cleaning for you)
They will also hit at the exact times you want.

With all the free time you have (maybe spend less on this board) you could design all three mailings and do the zip code research and find the exact addresses you want to market to. You might sub out the mailing to a mailing company with a bulk permit or you might spend a couple of evenings hand stamping these mailers.

Being the Marketing Master you are maybe you could get a Local Dry cleaner,local landscaper, local Pizza place to be in your Mini ValPack and go to three times as many potentials. Or heaven Forbid you might ship your ads out for free. You could make sure all the other advertisers are Locals with good reputations.

Which will make more money for you?

The only advantage to the Groupon is the customer pays directly for the advertizing. Guaranteed results. If you have to work on guaranteed results then so be it.

There is nothing saying you could not do this in addition to your Groupon.

Maybe you don't have the $1000 to start this off but I bet Crowley would front you the money.....he has plenty!

There are a lot of other advertising options besides Groupon for growing your business.

ON a Side Note..
In Montana there is a new law that you can not put an expiration date on a paid for service.....

rick imby

Name
Rick
Ford Fairlane said:
In Montana there is a new law that you can not put an expiration date on a paid for service.....
Just another reason not to live in Montana! :p

:mrgreen:

You're just jealous,

Someday when you have some time (I know it would be tough for your business for you to leave the boards for a few days!!!!) maybe you will make it up to God's country and see some of the most beautiful mountains and valleys in the states.

Yellowstone 200 miles southeast Glacier National Park 120 miles north. It is pretty sweet.

So why have I spent the last three weeks in Arizona? Because I can.....

Thanks Richard for reading that far into my post. It appears you are an old dog that is trying to learn.

Rick the Urban Camper from Arizona.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I guess if you didn't pay groupon $3000 for 60 jobs then the value of your service is 6 areas for $50.00

dgargan

"Greg, sometimes I find it even harder to understand what you type than I do understanding you on the phone."

http://www.originalhagopian.com

Ken,

Is Greg the Charlie sheen of the carpet cleaning world?

Bjorn

who really gives a shit anymore

groupon or free room offer

I made the mistake of doing a free room offer many years ago

what I found out was the rich loved a free room more than the middle class

most asked question how much more can I do for free ( no shit )

did I get a few good customers from it yes but not enough to do it again.

only problem is sending out 50% FOR 50% is not a good deal for that POOR sucker

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
"Is Greg the Charlie sheen of the carpet cleaning world?" :lol:

GregSheen.jpg

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
my wife made me buy her those mugs 8 of them at about $20 a piece. No thursday this week. Making a big comeback

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
It was 84...plus the jobs that scheduled that DIDN'T buy a groupon. I'm doing 1 tomorrow.

Groupon is just easy, it's a jump start. No way in hell is that the only marketing I am doing or will be doing.

$50.00 for each job ....before the extra work. EVERY job we've done so far has done something extra. Today I did $300.00 over Groupon.....Plus the $50 per job. So I grossed $500 today without Groupons cut involved.

I'm keeping their info, leaving magnets, telling them to tell their friends and family, leaving $25.00 off Gift Cards....and a clean carpet.

It's working well so far.

And I posted int the MMM room that I was wrong about how Groupon (or why) redeems the Groupons....I get $50 for every Groupon whether they use it or not.

And the law is (I believe) that even if you CAN'T put an expiration date, you only have to give them the purchase price worth ($99) ...NOT the whole house deal.

EDIT: The exact amount was just over $300.00

Eric Scofield

Name
Eric Scofield
Groupons are the begining of the END lets all work harder not smarter. No lets just out source this shit to china like the GOV. you guys are on crazy pills.......f..king joke boo I have kids that are like a certin life style.

lance

All groupon is doing is marketing and taking a piece of the action. Maybe a bigger piece than they should. And they almost guarantee that you will get jobs. That is why they get the money first before the business owner does.

Brian, how many houses are on your block? How many of them have you cleaned for? If you offered them a $50.00 discount and good results how many would hire you this week or next week?

If Groupon is so great for you Brian, then why didn't you do a deal for the area that you yourself can do ALL the cleaning in......so you don't have to sub it out? You would make a lot of money right?

Groupon is great for anyone who wants to stay busy and make SOME money...no doubt about that. If I had three truck to keep busy then it would be a great way to go. Those trucks would be seen in new neighborhoods and the techs could hand out coupons to the houses nearby after the job. Everybody would be happy.

But the O/Ops have to think differently. They don't want to kill themselves for people who only want to save money with a coupon and might only call back the next year if another coupon is available. They have to be more conservative than the multi-truck owner because they are doing most of the work (if they have a helper) themselves and that makes a big difference....both physically and psychologically.

You can always make more money, but you can't make more time.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Lance, I think it is exactly the opposite- an OO can choose to work at "lower wages" for themselves, where a multi truck company has to pay other people.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Lance, you can offer $50 off all day long and it just doesn't have the same effect on female home owners that Groupon does.
It's a middle man and their is "safety" in that and there is pleasure in getting a deal. The fact that it's only for a day creates action.

If we could do what Groupon has done, we would have done it already.

Another part that "I" screwed up on was the areas I listed. All I said was "North Dallas, Dallas, 10 miles east and 10 miles west....no south Dallas"

But Groupon listed cities to go along with it (no I wasn't able to check) and they left out some good cities...possibly another reason I only sold 84.

If something is too far etc I do sub it out to the guy in that area ( I almost always have guy in "that" area).
So I still make money on the deal.

I think what everyone is having a problem getting past is they think they will ONLY make their cut of the Groupon deal. The law of averages will dictate that a good amount of those customers are going to want something more done....if you offer your services (again, without pressure) and believe in them....then your averages go up.

I'm already ahead AND I still have the bigger checks to look forward to. $1400 every 30 days...not much...but it's like free money at that point.

Groupon has the brand, image, email list, exposure and demographic that we as carpet cleaners dream of. They are a different way of advertising and the customers love the concept.

How do you think the buggy makers felt about Henry Ford?

Keep up with the times......if someone moves your cheese, don't get all butt hurt over it.

(this was a general statement to all....wasn't pointing it at you Lance even though it was in response to your post)

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Fookin Padder Hacks. In all reality the customer is getting fooked. Guy comes in sprays down the room scrubs in the dog piss,vomit,blood etc and calls it good. Sick and Wrong.

Golden Boy

Back
Top Bottom