A Newbie Getting Started

soundguy7440

Name
SoundGuy
If you can finagle a Butler somehow..
THATS the way to go...your confidence will
Show thru to your custys 10 fold....
I can show you how to keep it JUS LIKE NEW over 20 years

These are the two butlers that are remotely in my price range atm. the first one, for 11k, is in Wisconsin but I don't mind driving to see/get it. the second one is about 30min away from me, but looks beat to shit, but is 6k. any thoughts on either?

[Edit]
I also found this with a little more looking:

Which brings up another question:
What do I do if I buy a used van and it has decals or a wrap on it? I don't want to drive around advertising for them...

Last edited:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Lol, I don't know that I'm moving to AL...

But I'd kill to spend any amount of time riding along with Mark!
This could be a possibility...

What town are you in? I'm in Grand Rapids, MINNESOTA... The other Grand Rapids...

Welcome aboard... To the board.... You're doing very well so far surviving the Grumps who need their afternoon naps 😁

Good questions and actually some great advice has been shared with you.

Definitely consider a van over a trailer for a truckmount. The cold, it's hard to keep things from freezing in general even when going from warm shop to a job.

You can shoot me messages also with questions.

soundguy7440

Name
SoundGuy

Thanks Mark, I am in Grand Rapids, Michigan which would make for quite a drive...

Before I got my current job I worked in a machine shop so I know all about dealing with grumps, except here the grumps say I'm going to swing a 175 into the wall instead of saying I'm going to crash the CNC... hahaha

I'm sure I'll have questions, especially if I end up picking up a used butler!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mark Saiger

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Thanks Mark, I am in Grand Rapids, Michigan which would make for quite a drive...

Before I got my current job I worked in a machine shop so I know all about dealing with grumps, except here the grumps say I'm going to swing a 175 into the wall instead of saying I'm going to crash the CNC... hahaha

I'm sure I'll have questions, especially if I end up picking up a used butler!
If you have worked at a machine shop, you are going to be set to fix stuff :cool:

Of you have some pics or links of units you want to share, or want to text or call, my cell phone number is 218-259-9099

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

soundguy7440

Name
SoundGuy

Great, Thanks!

The machine shop will definitely help as well!

I'll send a couple of links your way.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger

These are the two butlers that are remotely in my price range atm. the first one, for 11k, is in Wisconsin but I don't mind driving to see/get it. the second one is about 30min away from me, but looks beat to shit, but is 6k. any thoughts on either?

[Edit]
I also found this with a little more looking:

Which brings up another question:
What do I do if I buy a used van and it has decals or a wrap on it? I don't want to drive around advertising for them...

Wraps, Decals, even painted on letters no problem.

Can cover up painted with vinyl large patches....

Wraps you can modify and or remove completely

soundguy7440

Name
SoundGuy

Oh wow, that's quite a bit easier than I was thinking it would be!

Thanks Mark!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

I'm telling you, Kid, don't let these egghEDs talk you into buying a direct drive that's long in the tooth ...I don't GAS if it's a Butler or not
It'll be a money pit of headache

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Mikey P and FredC

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'm telling you, Kid, don't let these egghEDs talk you into buying a direct drive that's long in the tooth ...I don't GAS if it's a Butler or not
It'll be a money pit of headache

..L.T.A.
I agree and disagree at the same time. Slide in are great because they are easily transferable from one vehicle to another. Having said that I have good success buying pto units in reasonable shape. I am still kicking the tires on a cleanco 47. If I can get it for the right price, I am prepared for the eventuality of replacing the engine or transmission down the road. It's a powerful machine that looks good and seems to be fairly well maintained. It all comes down to price.

soundguy7440

Name
SoundGuy
I agree and disagree at the same time. Slide in are great because they are easily transferable from one vehicle to another. Having said that I have good success buying pto units in reasonable shape. I am still kicking the tires on a cleanco 47. If I can get it for the right price, I am prepared for the eventuality of replacing the engine or transmission down the road. It's a powerful machine that looks good and seems to be fairly well maintained. It all comes down to price.

Yeah, if I can get a reasonable butler for 6500, and rebuild/replace the engine when it goes or upgrade before that happens, it seems like a good/cheap way to get into a powerful tm.

FredC

Village Idiot
Yeah, if I can get a reasonable butler for 6500, and rebuild/replace the engine when it goes or upgrade before that happens, it seems like a good/cheap way to get into a powerful tm.
and will you be prepared to do that two weeks after you buy it or will there just be a broke down van in your parent's driveway if it happens that soon?

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You want to make sure the van doesn't have any rust issues and looks presentable. 5000 hours on a butler or cleanco or even on a hydramaster isn't too bad as long as it's been maintained. If it looks shitty, it's been maintained shitty. Look for pride of ownership.

soundguy7440

Name
SoundGuy
You want to make sure the van doesn't have any rust issues and looks presentable. 5000 hours on a butler or cleanco or even on a hydramaster isn't too bad as long as it's been maintained. If it looks shitty, it's been maintained shitty. Look for pride of ownership.
The van as a whole looks well taken care of, the tm itself (from the few pics) seems clean and presumably maintained. it has 2400hrs, and 170k miles on the van. It used to be Kirk Saiger's until about 2yrs ago, which I hope would mean it was well taken care of, at the very least until it was sold to its current owner...

but of course, I am not dead set on a butler, I'd be open to any good TM that will get me going!

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom