A past customer asked me if I would honor a coupon after job

I quoted a past customer a price today of 170 to clean 3 rooms, hall, and steps. She said go ahead. At the end of the job she lays out in front of me several coupons from different companies (three were from a Chem-Dry) and she asked if I would honor their coupon price. I was looking real hard for some fine print but I couldn't find any. The ad said 5 areas for 135 which was not bad. I tried explaining to her that the company she had the coupon with was actually a high pressure sales company and they rarely honor the advertised price. At first I was just going to say pay me the price I quoted at the start of the job, but I could tell she was about to have a heart attack. I said I tell you what I will knock 20 dollars off because her carpets were actually in great shape and I didn't have to move much. She was thrilled. Next time I will tell her NO DEAL. This has never happened with me. She said I am the coupon queen. I guess you have to know when to play along. I am going back soon to clean and color seal about 400 sq ft of tile. Her husband is a doctor. Cheap bitch. :evil:

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Re: A past customer asked me if I would honor a coupon after

:shock:

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Just for fun you could ask her if she would pay double because you know someone who charges twice as much as you.
Al

This was my second time out and last time she spent 300 plus on rugs. I was shocked. Will I clean for her again? Yes I will, but I am going to 175 her carpet because she was so impressed with the Chem Dry coupon. If she asks about the truckmount, I will say the cost has gone up to 60 cents a foot and take it or leave it.

Name
Nate W.
Key word.......

danielc said:
This was my second time out and last time she spent 300 plus on rugs. I was shocked. Will I clean for her again? Yes I will, but I am going to 175 her carpet because she was so impressed with the Chem Dry coupon. If she asks about the truckmount, I will say the cost has gone up to 60 cents a foot and take it or leave it.

If they did it once, what makes you think they won't do it again??? :lol:

ne?go?ti?a?tion Show Spelled Pronunciation [ni-goh-shee-ey-shuhn, -see-]
Use Negotiation in a Sentence
See web results for Negotiation
See images of Negotiation
–noun 1. mutual discussion and arrangement of the terms of a transaction or agreement: the negotiation of a treaty.
2. the act or process of negotiating.
3. an instance or the result of negotiating.

Name
Evets
I would have accepted less ONLY if she paid me with cash.

But, you also have these guys........
"Yes sir, we're all finished and the total is $230" (the price you quoted over the phone).

"will you take $200 cash?"

"uh,okay. call us again when you need us! thanks Mr. Patel."

Al

You shouldn't drop your price without getting something in return. Like some referrals, or a video testimoinial. Always get something in return, don't just lower the value of your services. 8)

Name
steve snail
I would have accepted less ONLY if she paid me with cash.

Let's be careful out there. The IRS added 800 agents in the past calendar year. Always always always let the customer know there is no discount for cash!

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
danielc said:
I was looking real hard for some fine print but I couldn't find any. The ad said 5 areas for 135 which was not bad. I tried explaining to her that the company she had the coupon with was actually a high pressure sales company and they rarely honor the advertised price. :evil:

WOW! You lied to her and tried to justify yourself by putting down another company! There is NO WAY you could know for certain that the Chem Dry franchisor would go in and high pressure sell that customer.
THIS is exactly what is wrong with our industry. STOP justifying what you charge based on how you compare to another company. Stop comparing the fact that you don't high pressure sell vs the guy that may or may not. START responding by saying: Our prices are competitive based on the level of service that we provide. TALK about how well you clean. Talk about your knowledge. Talk with passion and commitment and you will never get trapped into being compared to anyone else. When you are compared to another or you compare yourself to another company: you become a commodity. A commodity holds little or no value in the mind of the customer. Obviously the customer didn't want Chem-Dry as she called you instead. Obviously the money didn't matter to her that much. She just figured she'd try and hustle you. It worked and you will likely be beaten up the next time you clean her or her friends homes.
If you don't think you are better than your competition because of the work that you do- you should hang it up and put your equipment on ebay.
Our company does not and will not match competitors coupons. EVER!

braddaddy

Yes that was well said Greg.
Also...those low cost coupons might be for the competitors new guys.... or for the cheap machines they haven't sold off yet.... Or the 20 min whole house cleaning their 'special crew' does....
Who knows why that coupon was put out...
I would not accept another companies coupon... Heck, they may no longer be accepting it.

I used to install gas grills, gas lites, gas logs.... One customer refused to pay the bill because it took 1.5 hrs for me to install their grill. The guy says "Im a business professional and I dont even make that much per hour.... I explained that they pay for my ability, my knowledge, my experience as well as my labor, parts and material... He were not impressed. I then said "The cement in the grill post has not hardened...Ill pull the grill out and leave it on the grass... and Ill pull my piping and tubing out of the ground!!" He then reluctantly paid... I took that check straight to my bank!

Ernie G

I agree with what you said Greg, but it sounds funny coming from a budget cleaner, no disrepect intended. If you don't upsell, I don't see how you make a profit and do a great job with the prices on your website, even with volume pricing, what i'm I missing here. That being said, you must be doing something right, it appears you have a great business going.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Al said:
You shouldn't drop your price without getting something in return. Like some referrals, or a video testimoinial. Always get something in return, don't just lower the value of your services. 8)

Wow you hit my hot button with that one. Yes I will knock off $20 but will you please.....

don't punish her for being your customer. Next time do the absolutely best you can do again. Can the I'll use a 175 next time attitude.

Rick

Portable Carpet Cleaning
Spokane Carpet Cleaning

gregcole said:
danielc said:
I was looking real hard for some fine print but I couldn't find any. The ad said 5 areas for 135 which was not bad. I tried explaining to her that the company she had the coupon with was actually a high pressure sales company and they rarely honor the advertised price. :evil:

WOW! You lied to her and tried to justify yourself by putting down another company! There is NO WAY you could know for certain that the Chem Dry franchisor would go in and high pressure sell that customer.
THIS is exactly what is wrong with our industry. STOP justifying what you charge based on how you compare to another company. Stop comparing the fact that you don't high pressure sell vs the guy that may or may not. START responding by saying: Our prices are competitive based on the level of service that we provide. TALK about how well you clean. Talk about your knowledge. Talk with passion and commitment and you will never get trapped into being compared to anyone else. When you are compared to another or you compare yourself to another company: you become a commodity. A commodity holds little or no value in the mind of the customer. Obviously the customer didn't want Chem-Dry as she called you instead. Obviously the money didn't matter to her that much. She just figured she'd try and hustle you. It worked and you will likely be beaten up the next time you clean her or her friends homes.
If you don't think you are better than your competition because of the work that you do- you should hang it up and put your equipment on ebay.

Ofcourse you aren't going to match a coupon, but you also aren't going to clean a whole house for 89 dollars either without doing a crappy job. I mean I get what you are saying about not honoring another company's coupon. How about honoring your own coupon first.

Yes this company walks in with uv lights and tells the customer they have a lot of organic stains that require an enzyme treatment at 35 dollars a room. On top of that they spin dirty rags on piss filled carpet. They are so bait and switch. They just don't charge extra for pre spray like you. If a company has a 99 dollar special with a motive to sell sanitizer for 75 dollars more on each job that is b and s. It is bait and switch if you really have no intention of doing the job for your advertised price unless the customer refuses your upsell pitch and gives you an ultimatum to clean or leave.

This lady was a referral and is getting about 600 dollars worth of tile work done. I don't mind giving her a deal. If her carpet was actually dirty then I wouldn't have lowered my price. On the other hand I think she should see what real high pressure sales is and crappy work from rag spinners. Then she would be a great customer for life. All of my best clients were either burned by b and s companies like yours or SS left their carpet wet for days.

Name
Nate W.
danielc said:
gregcole said:
danielc said:

Ofcourse you aren't going to match a coupon, but you also aren't going to clean a whole house for 89 dollars either without doing a crappy job. I mean I get what you are saying about not honoring another company's coupon. How about honoring your own coupon first.

Yes this company walks in with uv lights and tells the customer they have a lot of organic stains that require an enzyme treatment at 35 dollars a room. On top of that they spin dirty rags on piss filled carpet. They are so bait and switch. They just don't charge extra for pre spray like you. If a company has a 99 dollar special with a motive to sell sanitizer for 75 dollars more on each job that is b and s. It is bait and switch if you really have no intention of doing the job for your advertised price unless the customer refuses your upsell pitch and gives you an ultimatum to clean or leave.

This lady was a referral and is getting about 600 dollars worth of tile work done. I don't mind giving her a deal. If her carpet was actually dirty then I wouldn't have lowered my price. On the other hand I think she should see what real high pressure sales is and crappy work from rag spinners. Then she would be a great customer for life. All of my best clients were either burned by b and s companies like yours or SS left their carpet wet for days.

Let the kick in the balls smack down begin.
popcorn-vuoto.gif

CleanEvo

danielc said:
gregcole said:
danielc said:

You guys both make sense, considering you run your businesses completely difffently.

Both ways of running a business have advantages and disadvantages in terms of the final product.

You guys both make sense, considering you run your businesses completely difffently.

Both ways of running a business have advantages and disadvantages in terms of the final product.[/quote]

Exactly. That is why I am opening shop with another company. I already have a successful referral company. I am going to start another company that is low priced, high volume, mostly upsell. It is ridiculous how much my phone rings from old yellow page ads. Ok mam if our price is too high you can call this number and they are half of what we charge. Only the money is going in my pocket and she is getting her head busted on extra chemical charges. IDGAF anymore. It is just too easy to call another porty hack and let them do it for a percentage. Anyone can start and run a business like that. It is a little harder building a real sustainable business through referrals. I need to get rich or die trying.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I emailed Gregcole that poost and he stole it

I would never drop my price. My price is my price. I get calls this guy will do it for x ammount, sorry go with the other guy. My prices are non negotiable. It is what it is And they never go with the othert guys

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
If the customer wanted the service of the coupons she collected, then she would simply have called one of those businesses for cleaning.

She did not want those companies to clean her house, that is evident.

She wanted you to clean her carpet, but she wanted the cheap price of the cleaners she didn't want.

You could have informed her that you would have been happy to meet any of the coupons price if only she had told you BEFORE you cleaned the carpet. Then you could have given her the same cleaning service of the cheaper companies and you would have been able to make the same profit.

However, once you have purchased a product of higher quality and used it, you can't ask for the price of a lesser product that sells at a cheaper price and still be able to keep the higher quality product.

Surely she knows she can't buy a Lexus LFA for the price of a Mustang GT just because both are sporty cars. She can't buy a decked out 4000 sq ft house for the price of a 1000 sq ft craker box of a house.

She can't have you for less than you are worth.

The other cleaners can't charge any more for their service.

Every cleaner charges what they are worth. That is all they can get.

Supply and demand. There is only one of you to choose from.

Loren Egland said:
If the customer wanted the service of the coupons she collected, then she would simply have called one of those businesses for cleaning.

She did not want those companies to clean her house, that is evident.

She wanted you to clean her carpet, but she wanted the cheap price of the cleaners she didn't want.

You could have informed her that you would have been happy to meet any of the coupons price if only she had told you BEFORE you cleaned the carpet. Then you could have given her the same cleaning service of the cheaper companies and you would have been able to make the same profit.

However, once you have purchased a product of higher quality and used it, you can't ask for the price of a lesser product that sells at a cheaper price and still be able to keep the higher quality product.

Surely she knows she can't buy a Lexus LFA for the price of a Mustang GT just because both are sporty cars. She can't buy a decked out 4000 sq ft house for the price of a 1000 sq ft craker box of a house.

She can't have you for less than you are worth.

The other cleaners can't charge any more for their service.

Every cleaner charges what they are worth. That is all they can get.

Supply and demand. There is only one of you to choose from.

Well said.

Matt Murdock said:
I emailed Gregcole that poost and he stole it

I would never drop my price. My price is my price. I get calls this guy will do it for x ammount, sorry go with the other guy. My prices are non negotiable. It is what it is And they never go with the othert guys

Greg I agree with you. It is 45 for the first room, 25 for each additional room, but you have a 75 dollar minimum. :? Why not just say you have a 75 dollar minimum and that covers 2 areas and each additional area is 25 dollars. Loose the 45 dollars for the first room and 25 for the second if you aren't going to clean two rooms for 70 dollars. It is just a little confusing.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Incidentally around here at least Chem-Dry isn't doing that job with hwe. It would be bonnet. Difference right there. I would give her a few bucks off if she was a good customer and I felt that she is strapped. If it was a first time customer and they were being a dick then no.

On a similiar note, I got this one customer that always tells me that they haven't received the $10.00 of for referring her mom. Apparantley I've given him the discount a bunch of times so says my wife. Bastard's playing on my crappy memory :evil: I'm sure nextr time it will be written all over the ticket in big bold letters.

Albert

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Not too confusing for my customers.
3 rooms, hall and steps = 5 areas $145

no confusing formulas, no games no measuring it is what it is. No negotiations just plain and simple pricing so easy a guy from your area can figure it out. Danny when you want to step up to the big leagues take trip up here and I will show you how it is done. It is only confusing because you are in tn

you may be stupid Daniel but you aren't confused because you know my pricing policy

Daniel are you going to MF6 ? I would love to meet you

Spurling

danielc said:
I quoted a past customer a price today of 170 to clean 3 rooms, hall, and steps. She said go ahead.

she already said go ahead .. no way in hell I would of givin in to a discount after the job was done .. I would of giggled and said sorry I dont match competetiors coupons ..

Matt Murdock said:
Not too confusing for my customers.
3 rooms, hall and steps = 5 areas $145

no confusing formulas, no games no measuring it is what it is. No negotiations just plain and simple pricing so easy a guy from your area can figure it out. Danny when you want to step up to the big leagues take trip up here and I will show you how it is done. It is only confusing because you are in tn

you may be stupid Daniel but you aren't confused because you know my pricing policy

Daniel are you going to MF6 ? I would love to meet you

Yes Greg I am thinking about going. I used to tell my customers 29.50 per area but I had a 100 dollar minimum charge. If they wanted three rooms cleaned I got tired of saying well that is 88.50 but my minimum is a hundred dollars so I just said my minumum is a hundred dollars and that covers three areas etc. It just looks and sounds more professional. Whatever your pricing strategy is really doesn't matter as long as you and your customers are ok with it. If you are fine with it great. Greg I really could care less. Just admit it that it sounds more professional to say we have a 75 dollar minimum and that covers three areas and each additional area is 25 dollars rather than saying the first room is 45 dollars, 70 dollars for two rooms, but we have a 75 dollar minimum. Don't be so defensive. No one is criticizing your business. You have a good business. By the way you play in the big leagues. I just own the whole damn team. Play ball.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
yeah your in the big leagues. Keep negotiating your value. I run a business, my prices are my prices. What is more professional showing them the price sheet or going "well I will do it for a little less" I don't need to explain my pricing at all. Everyone who calls me books and I type up the bill when I am done.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
danielc said:
Exactly. That is why I am opening shop with another company. I already have a successful referral company. I am going to start another company that is low priced, high volume, mostly upsell. It is ridiculous how much my phone rings from old yellow page ads. Ok mam if our price is too high you can call this number and they are half of what we charge. Only the money is going in my pocket and she is getting her head busted on extra chemical charges. IDGAF anymore. It is just too easy to call another porty hack and let them do it for a percentage. Anyone can start and run a business like that. It is a little harder building a real sustainable business through referrals. I need to get rich or die trying.

Excellent! As it appears that we are launching a branch in Memphis in 2011, I look forward to butting heads! shiteatinggrin Better wear a helmet as according to Mikey - I was born with one! lol

In regards to the getting rich part - if you are doing this solely for the money- you will likely never reach attain that goal. If you are doing it for the love of the business (as many here are) it is likely you will achieve that goal. If you study the art of marketing you will have a better shot at it. Even the best operator will go out of business if he doesn't understand how to market his business.

It is sad that you toally missed my point! You defended your poor judgement with that customer and instead of taking it as constructive criticism - you blasted back at me and began attacking my marketing practices. Why on earth would you want to crawl into the ring with discounters if you consider yourself to be above it all? Re-read my previous post and perhaps you will understand it now with a level head.

Anyways- best of luck in your business.
-Greg

Back
Top Bottom