A question for upholstery cleaning experts

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
I inherited an upholstery problem. This is a cotton/rayon chenille covering down cushions.
My guys wrapped the cushions in plastic as not to disturb the mystery chemical that off gases thru the fabric when moisture is introduced leaving brown little spots. I’ve been told it’s the fire retardant in the fabric covering the down.

Unfortunately one cushion had the existing problem and it wasn’t documented. She of course thinks it’s our problem now. I’ve agreed to attempt removal.

My experience with this problem has not been completely successful. In the passed I have tried
acid rinsers, alkalines and titanium stripper without success. Sodium bi sulfate and H2O2 have only lightened the spots. I have not yet tried sodium per borate or sodium hydrosulfite.

Any suggestions for removal? Does anyone have something published explaining why this happens?

Name
Nate W.
It's a very common problem here... Pops told me that we use the 20% peroxide misted from the beauty supply store and place in sun... The spots start to show up about 3-4 years on the fabric... If there isn't a lot of spots, you can just use a Q-tip on the brown spots... I haven't found any published articles on this matter... We call it humidity spots... Common with your cotton dress shirts hanging in your closet over time...

Pops says Hello...

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Nate nailed it.

20% weakens the fabric, so use the Q tips so that you don't have to spray the entire fabric unless need be.

Name
Ron lippold
what about taking it outside with some hatian cotton cleaner good dwell and let the sun do the work. just my 2 cents..

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I agree with Nate.

I believe what you are getting is a form of cellulosic browning.

The cotton absorbs moisture (humidity?), which activates the cellulose, which wicks to the surface showing up as brown spots.

There is one other possibility that comes to mind.

Down under, we have a form of mold which is referred to as "Red Cattle Dog Mould".

This is a mold spore that shows up as a brownish red stain, not unlike our "red cattle dogs".

It is very aggresive and to date, we have been unable to find a perfect way to eliminate this stain.

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
We've never had this issue when the fabric was cleaned off the down cushion or when the down cushion is wrapped in plastic. I do know of white cotton fabrics getting brown spots over the years. However, this problem occurs immediately after drying. I still suspect the problem source is from the down cover or the down when moisture or humidity is introduced.

I've never seen it on the body of the sofa as there isn't any down on the body.

I'll give the h202 another try.

I can't wait to tell her it's "Red cattle dog mold".

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Joe,
why do you suspect off gassing and not run of the mill wicking?
If off gassing I would expect more of a uniform discoloring/coloring and not spots as you described.

Could it wick from the cushion covering material or possibly even from the down feathers?

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
we get Florida climate spots here, same as red cattle dog mold. Looks a lot like rust spots.
If the piece is true white they can be removed with Rx for browning.

gene

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
Ofer

If it simply were wicking, it would be easily removable.

Come on Ofer, I didn't just fall off the humus truck.

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
I've had a couple of PMs saying they too have experienced this problem and believe it's the fire retardant from the down cushion covers. I contacted Al Casas out of LA
(some of you may know him as a very knowledgeable cleaner) who confirms it's the fire retardant. The fabric holding the down which was white has various shades of brown especially
where the brown spots appear on the chenille.

Once again I've only been able to lighten them with a reducer.

I know you want pics, but I'm high tech challenged.

Name
Nate W.
Joe Appleby said:
I've had a couple of PMs saying they too have experienced this problem and believe it's the fire retardant from the down cushion covers. I contacted Al Casas out of LA
(some of you may know him as a very knowledgeable cleaner) who confirms it's the fire retardant. The fabric holding the down which was white has various shades of brown especially
where the brown spots appear on the chenille.

Once again I've only been able to lighten them with a reducer.

I know you want pics, but I'm high tech challenged.

Good to know Joe... Thanks for sharing... Al's a cool cat... shiteatinggrin

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom