a supply room

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
we need a room where distributors and/or manufacture's can fight ( for the lack of a better way of putting it ) for our service instead of us fishing for theirs...

a room where if some one types in that they need a gallon of citric .. ( for example ) who is going to give me the best offer ..?
all participating distributors/manufactures have to bid against each other for our business on who is going to pony up the best price and or the best deal.......

In our economical roller coaster.......we all need to start finding ways to save a buck......I am not saying someone send me a cheaper type...it has to be specific to what you order.....

with the economy the way it is if we cant afford to run our trucks....... more then us are going to suffer......they will suffer also......give a little ...get a lot.....

this is just a thought .....any input ??????

Name
I'm Rick James
Chemical wars. I doubt anyone would do it. Dont worry Jim the economy is going to get better here, stronger than ever. We just have to get through the next 4-6 months are so. Im sure distributers are feeling the effects from it to, expecially the smaller companies.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Few, if any, suppliers will want to put their best figures in an open forum like this.

Better yet may be for a cleaner to put up a request saying I want to purchase XXX of a XXXX type detergent and I live in XXX.

Then any supplier that wants to, could PM the cleaner with an offer and then the cleaner can make an informed choice based on PRIVATE offers.

Just another suggestion...

John

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
this would really be no different then having to get on the phone and call around....

the lowest price is not always the answer...but... there could be a distributor that has something going and can give you the best bang for your buck that you are not aware of.....

G

I search around on some of the more expensive things.I also can get some used things from my supplier.(no not solution line)

M

Mark Imbesi

If it aint broke dont fix it.

Why do we need suppliers fighting amongst each other? You dont think members are private messaged offers about their needs? I wouldnt want one supplier leaving this forum because of a room like you're suggesting. They are huge contributors here.

Greenie

I wouldn't participate much, guys buy from us for personal service, not price, we don't buy ANYTHING in volume so I can't price match.

Maybe we can advertise to homeowners and have them shop the cleaners here for best price, that would provide more entertainment.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I wouldn't participate. I support this board, I put specials in the suppliers room(which almost NO ones takes advatange of) I do not PM anyone about any deals. I am out in the open. People know who I am and know I will always do the best I can but I am not going to cut my throat for a f'n buck. I don't think people really understand the proti margin in a jug of Juice. We make between 8-13 bucks a jug. We stock 40-80k worth of soap that is paid for just sitting waiting for you guys to buy it. So with shipping discounts, depreciation, storage cost, salaries, tech support etc etc etc we net maybe $2 a jug IF we sell it at full price.

When I list things on sale it is because I am passing on my volume discount or monthly special I got from the manf. Other then that I am not about to get in a bidding war. If you guys want to purchase from me great if not thats ok too. :D

Rex Tyus

I normally agree with you Jim but I don't think it is a good idea. If we beat down our good suppliers on price we may loose them. I prefer to buy from someone I know will still be in business next month. I don't like getting taken advantage of but I want them comfortable with the sale as well. But as slow as it has been for me lately I ain't gonna be buying much of anything to soon. I just keep cleaning out another area of my shop and finding shit I bought to have "on hand".

Ernie G

I agree with Rex, it has to be a win-win situation or your good supplyer won't stay in bussiness long.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
But as slow as it has been for me lately I ain't gonna be buying much of anything to soon. I just keep cleaning out another area of my shop and finding shit I bought to have "on hand"

exactly..and that is kind of my point...I have been doing the same thing....things have slowed a little and I am in no hurry to buy anything real soon...so......this will also hurt some of our distributors here on the board...but
if we worked together ...... .......??

I did not really expect anyone to agree with me on this but I knew John would be the first to have the balls to step up to the plate as a distributor.....this idea was not meant to step on any ones toes..it was meant to help each other out.......

Rex Tyus

WHAT IF, the suppliers doubled the price for anyone netting, say $250,000 and give rebates to everyone else. Would that work?

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
I understand the point of the room but I also think its a bad idea. When you start asking people to open bid for sales you end up with junk and weak products. I PM people on this board all the time to purchase supplies but I would not want the low ball price if it ment taking a gallon of cleaner and making it 2 gallons with water.

If there is an area to post stuff and the suppliers can PM or call you and make A offer thats one thing but not open bidding.

TimP

As someone who knows a bit about a retail business. The profit margins can be quite low. However I think the manufacturers are a bit high on their prices on some things but not all. But I can't say for certain that everyone needs to make money. I can tell you on $15-20,000 sales that my inlaws make often times the profit is 1500 bucks. Not a whole lot when you think about it. Some times they can make 5-600 on a house of carpet while the installer makes that or more...rarely does the store make more. Often times the installation runs more than the profit. For instance with tile....I think they put .50-1.00 bucks profit on tile....while the installer makes 2.50 (granted it's hard work and takes more time). Anyways everyone thinks cause you are a retail store you are the enemy and therefore you shouldn't make money. I have found that the more money the customer spends the more they think you are ripping them off, or that they own you. I have found being in this business that the people who I work for are much easier to deal with and I think the reason is that I'm not charging thousands of dollars while my inlaws do. Also that they may have tried to do a job themself and know that they can't do near the job....or in near the time. So they have a better understanding of what it takes to do what we do.

But as a customer to supply distributors relating to our business. I can not stand being lied to or being ripped off. And I make purchases based on my perspective. I have one distributor that's on my poo list...and they get very little business from me. I've actually had 3 calls from them to get business.....

Also as far as what I keep on hand I have enough to last me probably 2-3 months. I do need some deodorizer soon (going to make an order from judson in the next week or two) and maybe some emulsifier but I got plenty of prespray, plenty of acid rinse. Plenty of spot cleaners......and tile cleaning chemicals.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
"with the economy the way it is if we cant afford to run our trucks....... more then us are going to suffer......they will suffer also......give a little ...get a lot....."

Hmmmm......suppliers got all the money, do they?

And, when we're done running our favorite suppliers into the ground, because they ALREADY feel the pinch we're feeling, who do we stick it to next?

Maybe a better alternative is a room to discuss ways of helping suppliers cut costs and serve the industry more efficiently so they can be more competitive in this "roller coaster economy."

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I really don't think that anyone was running suppliers into the ground....

I thought I was trying to make it a win win for all....

it may not of been explained in the best of way...but I am trying to look at both sides not just the cleaners side...

Rex Tyus

I know it was posted with good intentions and you never intended it to be a beat down on suppliers. I appologize if my post added to the misunderstanding.

I do think most of the guys do a pretty good job utilizing the suppliers special room when they get cost breaks or the like though.

Name
steve snail
I'm better able to serve my customers due to the fact that so many options are available at many different price points. Not too tough to get bottom dollar in this day and age. Are, maybe you better served, due to the fact that you have local "contacts" that are nowhere near "bottom dollar"?

Going out on a limb here, 1st time ever I though Jim Martin was even remotely off base.

Bob Foster

Maybe it would be a good idea to ask suppliers to tell us how to order the most economical way quantity wise and shipping wise. I also think that most of us would not mind some suggestive selling when we call in. Something like thanks for the order of prespay. Do you need any blocks or sticky tabs?

Maybe offer packages of products in offerings. ie When you buy a case of prespray then you can get 20% off on the new Mytee spray jug.

Buy 100 feet of hose and get an upgrade to stainless fittings for 35% off

Bob Foster

The guys to be mad at are the freight companies. How about we get a national deal for all our suppliers to participate in.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Steve in Omaha said:
Going out on a limb here, 1st time ever I though Jim Martin was even remotely off base.

probably should of stayed low a little longer and thought this threw more..I know my wording was way off...I just spent on of the hardest 9 days of my entire life and my head is still not real clear to be bring up ideas...
sorry....

Mikey P

Administrator
No need to apologize Jim

Heck, even I said something dumb once.

I think we can all agree that the suppliers who we see on MB daily are bending over back words to help us cleaners out while trying to staying in biz themselves.
We are all in these tough times together and the last thing we need right now is finger pointing amongst this group.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
Bob Foster said:
The guys to be mad at are the freight companies. How about we get a national deal for all our suppliers to participate in.

Being part of Interlink Supply we do get a great deal on freight costs through certain companies like USF Redaway but the prices are still outrageous. You would think with gas prices dropping drastically that prices would come down but apperently they don't care.

Greenie

Actually of this entire thread, the "helping us to purchase smarter" theme has the most value.

You would be surprised how many Overnight orders we fill each day, and how many "I just need a couple gallons to get me by" calls we take.

Compare 12 minimum orders of 4 gals. of juice, and 12 individual shipping cost, to one "free shipping" 15% off 12 case order placed with some advanced planning and there is all the SAVINGS you will ever need from your supplier. And you BOTH win.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom